Biggest Loser : A success or disaster? Too thin and win?

Options
2»

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I watch the show all the time. The way they lose the weight was not surprising to me at all. When my son wrestled in junior high, they did the same dehrydartion thing before weight ins. They would walk the track over & over while spitting, he wouldn't eat the day of a match until after the weigh in. I was glad when he quit & moved on to football because then he obsessed about "bulking up". I really think this is unhealthy for children, but I'll bet it's still going on. I'll bet Rachel just used the same weight loss methods at home that she learned on the Ranch (not all healthy) to loss weight that fast. It's taken me a year to lose 26 pounds, but I'm just trying to lose - not obessing.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    So according to the fat shaming thread I can't judge people for what they weigh right? Why is this any different? If she's happy at 105 more power to her.

I don't think anyone is "shaming" or judging Rachel. Speaking for myself, I am concerned, just the same as I would be concerned for anyone who was drastically overweight (including myself). I think obesity and anorexia are two sides of the same coin. In either case, there is a dysfunction regarding a person's relationship with food.

It's not how much she weighs that concerns me, it's her body fat percentage. Many people are fine at 105. But Rachel is dangerously thin.
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what she did but I am only a year younger than her and she looks like she could pass as my mom now.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

It's not how much she weighs that concerns me, it's her body fat percentage. Many people are fine at 105. But Rachel is dangerously thin.

Dangerously thin? That's a hard call to make with my eyeballs, especially when you can't see anything but her arms, legs, and face. If you can accurately call someone's bodyfat percentage on a TV screen you could rent out that skill for money.

I'd be concerned if in 6 months she's still losing. Odds are she went hardcore to win the money, which is understandable.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what she did but I am only a year younger than her and she looks like she could pass as my mom now.

I agree with this.
    I'm 23 going on 24 and I don't think she looks anything like my age anymore. My mom is 43 and she looks younger than Rachel does now.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way with the show the biggest loser as I do our local lose it to win it contest. They are kinda rigged. For instance, I am a big girl and I have lost over 50 pounds with many more to go. I have lost about 13 since the start of the contest, Jan 8th. I could lose about 20 pounds for the contest. Thats awesome and I am really proud of myself. I have lost it through a small deficit and staying active about 30-40 minutes a day. However, I know I dont have a chance in hell of winning. WHY?? Because there are a group of guys who own a gym in town who know how to lose weight quick just to win the money. They also know they are losing muscle mass, but can easily rebuild it slowly after they have wads of cash in their pocket from winning the contest. The biggest loser show is the same way. The trainers know how to make these people lose loads of weight fast to get them to their goal for the season finale. I probably wont get to my goal that quickly because I am doing this for life and need to get in the habit of making good decisions. Most contestants will gain back a portion to all of their weight because they have to go back to working full time and the temptations of everyday life!! To me , it just doesnt motivate me to lose weight.
  • jborski21
    jborski21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This was only my second season watching "The Biggest Loser", and I have a completely different outlook on it now thanks to Rachel's dramatic results and everything I am hearing about how the contestents lose all that weight so quickly. I hate to say it, but I guess I was a bit naive and trusting that the trainers and nutritionists and everyone at the ranch were helping the contestants lose weight fast, but did not know how extreme the measures are!!

I do remember one time in the season though, now that I think about it, that Jillian's team got penalized because apparently Jillian was feeding them caffeine pills.

I guess at the end of the day, I don't blame Rachel for doing whatever it takes to win the money, and I am in no way criticizing her, I just feel concerned as to me she didn't look healthy compared to the way I had seen her before the finale. I do hope though that now the competition is over she focuses more on her health than on the scale.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Actually, I had recorded the show and I watched it last night and she didn't look as bad as I originally thought she did from the pictures. Yeah, she's skinny, but without knowing more, I can't say she's unhealthy.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The winner, Rachel, looked too thin.

The at-home winner Tumi looked fit and healthy. I wish she had won instead of Rachel.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Please - not another one of these threads.

People seriously have seriously skewed way of how a human should look if they think she is too thin.

God bless America.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So how many "Biggest Loser" threads does this one make for today? 8 gazillion?

I'm starting to think that there are NBC trolls posting threads here.
  • planetqueenie
    Options
    I don't watch the show but saw it on e! news and was like wow! I think she looks great, and hopefully she's is healthy and happy with everything she has won. Honestly I think people are just more shocked at how skinny she is now than how plump she was before, if that makes sense. Like if you had never seen her before picture, you would think she looks like a slim fit woman. Also saying she has no muscle is not accurate in my opinion, her arms are really toned! I don't know how tall she is, but if she gained like 5 pounds she may look a little less 'gaunt'. Also, disqualifying someone should take place before the show. Such as the final contestants could have a weigh in sort of as a check in to see where everyone is at, and if someone has become underweight they can give them the option to gain back a few pounds or be disqualified. I can't imagine having an eating disorder, low self esteem, and then you just disqualify my skeleton behind right on live tv!!
  • paperfiish
    paperfiish Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you are a Biggest Loser Fan you may be interested in reading this article:

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

It made me stop watching the show altogether...There are a couple of other articles out there from past contestants, using diet pills, laxatives before weigh-ins, extra low calories, extreme workouts in over 100 degree weather. I don't know, I hope the show is more legit now, but it still makes you wonder.

I was going to post this too. The way the contestants are treated behind the scenes is reprehensible, and the longer the show goes on the worse it gets as they strive for new ways to "spice up" the same repetitive/episodic routine. Even in _front_ of the camera, the way that the trainers treat the contestants psychologically is damaging, not helpful! This woman is certainly not the first to come away from the show with unhealthy results, she just has more physically obvious symptoms. There are far healthier ways to find motivation for healthy changes in life, The Biggest Loser isn't one that deserves your time or money (through ad views).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Here's some of the past contestants now:

http://theashleysrealityroundup.com/2013/01/25/former-biggest-loser-contestant-blasts-show-more-biggest-losers-gain-their-weight-back/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am horrified.
    I know what she did to get there and it is an obvious disorder.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-biggest-loser-winner-rachel-frederickson-dodges-too-skinny-questions-15881.php

In her interview she clearly sees herself as an athlete! In her mind this was not about the game show it has turned into getting back into what makes her feel good...being athletic.

But unfortunately I see a woman who is not fueling her activities! She is on the fast track to burn out and serious organ damage.
    With a TDEE of -1700 or more calories NET a day (Yes that's negative 1700 or more calories a day!)
    she has a serious problem.

I have a problem with the so called doctor that monitored her as well as the prescribed "1600 calories a day" meal plan they put her on.

Rachel Frederickson: "When I'm walking and I'm working on my treadmill, I work kind of all day. So, I'm walking or I'm standing. Before, if you saw my casting video, I was sitting and eating candy bars, so I put that stool on the treadmill. So now I've actually gotten good at dusting off and some work, and then I would take maybe three or four classes a day and just really have fun with all the people in the room.

It is clear that Rachel has a serious mental disorder.

- Coach Teresa
    AFPA certified Advanced personal trainer
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of these threads, but this is the first I'm commenting on. Although there seem to be many, I believe it is great to have an open, honest conversation about being healthy--that's why we are on MFP.

I also believe that Rachel appeared far too thin. To me, it's not about the number, but how healthy you appear. A gaunt face, skeletal arms and a lack of muscle tone that you worked so hard for during those first four months, are signs that you may have gone too far.

If you look at sisters, Hanna and Olivia, from last season, you will see that both lost over 50% of their body weight, but were glowing, toned and healthy looking. They looked fantastic during the finale--and one won (but can't remember which!).

We have to remember that although many of us joined to lose weight, the same issues that cause overeating, also cause other emotional/dietary issues.

I am not going to judge Rachel or TBL...maybe she did this to insure she won and will get back to a truly healthy lifestyle. If not, we can pray for her to get past this--can you imagine how she must be feeling reading all of the negativity? That could cause anyone emotional distress.

*Edited to add that Tumi looked fantastic!!!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It is clear that Rachel has a serious mental disorder.

That and a pile of cash. The show isn't about health and it never was. It's a game in which you manipulate your body for a short duration to try and win money, with the assistance of some trainers and the ability to put your life on hold for a while. Some people manage to keep the weight off, some don't, but it was never about health. It's crappy reality TV.
  • Lmsciera22
    Options
    We were talking about this at work on Wednesday... my coworker does crossfit and she was saying how she weights 105, she is 1-2 inches shorter but still, she looks toned and muscular... Rachel just looks like skin and bones. I too was sickened when she came out. I thought she looked aneroxic (speculation) either way... to loose that much weight from the final on ranch weigh in to the finale she couldn't have done it in a healthy manner. I think the biggest loser should have disqualified her and those who are saying "I think she looks great" sicken me as well. She looks sickly.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I thought you can never be too rich or too thin? No really, she aged 15 yrs and looks like an anorexic that would be in the National Enquirer. But then I think Bethany Whatever looks like a skinny wimp ugly hot mess for RHONY and now she has a lame show. As a man I never would want to look like a Prada Model or Orlando Skinny Bloom. And Justin Bieber looks like a tween girl. If you look, no trainer says she has arrived at health. She is still on her 'journey' ( is she on an acid trip?) to health.
    Yes, you can be too skinny but if you like a haggard face that ages you, well that is your choice. This chick looks like Cruella De Ville.