anchovies packed in olive oil

Options
Help! I am having a terrible time calculating the calories and macros on my canned Roland anchovies packed in olive oil. I want to use the whole can including the anchovies and the olive oil. On the can the nutrition facts only relate to the number of pieces of anchovies ie. 5 pieces are 25 calories and there are approx two servings per can. How much more do I need to add for the oil in the can? Am I the only one who cooks with the whole can? Thanks for the help.:smile:

Replies

• bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Empty the anchovies out and then measure the oil and add it separately.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Um.... ewe. But yeah measure the oil would be my guess.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There won't be enough added calories from the oil to make much difference one way or the other.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Help! I am having a terrible time calculating the calories and macros on my canned Roland anchovies packed in olive oil. I want to use the whole can including the anchovies and the olive oil. On the can the nutrition facts only relate to the number of pieces of anchovies ie. 5 pieces are 25 calories and there are approx two servings per can. How much more do I need to add for the oil in the can? Am I the only one who cooks with the whole can? Thanks for the help.:smile:

Most foods that are packed in a liquid have a weight and a net weight marked on the container ( usually front bottom ). I would deduce the net weight ( anchovies ) from the total weight and multiply the difference of those grams by 9 ( the amount of calories a gram of fat has ). It might not be 100%, but 95% is pretty close.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The flip side of measuring the oil, of course, is to weigh the anchovies, then subtract that from the weight in grams on the package (if it doesn't say "drained weight" to get the oil weight. The olive oil is about 40 calories per 5 grams. My guess would be there's between 1/2 and 1 full tablespoonful of oil, so 60-120 calories of oil, but it depends on the size of the can and how the anchovies were packed in there, etc. Flat-packed anchovies often don't leave much room for oil in the can, but cans of rolled anchovies are ROOMY so I think have more oil in there to cover everything.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It only gives a net weight of 2 oz or 56 grams. So that means the 2oz is just the anchovy information. If I weight the contents, the additional weight will be the weight of the olive oil?
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    In my experience, "net" weight means weight of full package minus the CONTAINER / discardable containment materials, not subtracting edible packing fluids such as water or oil.

"DRAINED" weight would mean the weight of the anchovies minus the oil.
  • Heliconia
    Options
    You are absolutely right! I just figured this out the hard way by weighing the anchovies separately from the oil, lol. So now I get it. The nutrition facts on the back of the can is for the anchovies only, but the weight on the outside of the can is for both the oil and the anchovies. Also the nutrition information given by mfp when it says 56g can is also only for the anchovies. They do not mean everything inside the can. Boy, they sure make this confusing. Thanks sympha01
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I would've thought the macros would've included the oil.
  • Heliconia
    Options
    No it doesn't. Next time I eat some anchovies I might try to make a correction. ????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Save some calories...........................eat Sardines in a can in tomato sauce. MMMMMMMMMM.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition