Hits & Tips please for getting my body fat % down..

Options
Since using My Fitness Pal (sept 2013) I have lost 2 stones in weight. I'm well pleased to be weighting 12 stones now.

As a guy. I think my goal should be to reduce my body fat % now. My home scales says I have a fat % of 26.7%.

Anyone know what a good level to be is?
I was thinking 10% or is that to ambitious?
Can anyone suggest any My fitness Pal setting changes i.e. carb / fat / protein ratios?

I currently eat a low carb diet of 150g of carbs per day with a calorie count of 1900 per day.

With regards to my exercise I go to the gym 2/3 times a week, I also combine a mixture of playing Rugby, Pilates, Zen-ga, Body Pump and Body Combat per week.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. :happy:

Replies

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You do a lot of body weight resistance exercises, and a LOT of cardio. Add heavy weight lifting into your routine. I don't know what your macros are, so I can't advise you as to diet at this time. Keep in mind you should be getting 1-2g of protein for every pound (I don't know metric) of lean body mass (or goal for body mass).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    10% is pretty ambitious but not totally unattainable...

As a guy you could be eating more.

As for your macros I use 0.8g of protien per 1lb of lbm here are my calculations

Protein: 121 * 4 / 1600 = 30%
    Fat: 121* 9 * 0.35 / 1600 = 25%
    Carbs: The rest 45%

These are based on my TDEE-20%.(1600 calories a day everyday.)

As for exercise start lifting heavy....

Find your TDEE and subract a %...5-20% (depending on how agressive you want to be) and start lifting on a progressive load program and you will lower your BF%...it wont be overnight and you will have set backs but this works...

I have dropped 8% BF since July 2013.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    10% is pretty ambitious but not totally unattainable...

As a guy you could be eating more.

As for your macros I use 0.8g of protien per 1lb of lbm here are my calculations

Protein: 121 * 4 / 1600 = 30%
    Fat: 121* 9 * 0.35 / 1600 = 25%
    Carbs: The rest 45%

These are based on my TDEE-20%.(1600 calories a day everyday.)

As for exercise start lifting heavy....

Find your TDEE and subract a %...5-20% (depending on how agressive you want to be) and start lifting on a progressive load program and you will lower your BF%...it wont be overnight and you will have set backs but this works...

I have dropped 8% BF since July 2013.

^^ All of this. My only comment would be to stay @ or less than TDEE-10% or you will lose to much lean mass, MHO only = )
  • andyho90475069
    andyho90475069 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the feedback everyone!

Didn't realise there was a formula to work out your protein level.

Wonderful result Stef!! I would be happy to lose 8% body fat..

Also very helpful calculations to work with. Will definitely give it a try.

So as I'm 12 Stone or 168ILbs. That means I should aim for 168g - 236g of protein per day.

I aim to do heavier weights when I'm at the gym with 4 set at 10 reps. Any types of exercise in particular to get rid of my Ab, butt and thigh fat?

Thanks
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To reduce body fat %, you need to either (1) reduce your overall weight while maintaining lean body mass or (2) maintain your overall weight while increasing your LBM.

For (1) eat at a slight deficit, eat enough protein (0.8 * 168 = ~134 g) and do some form of resistance training.

For (2), eat at TDEE, eat enough protein (>~134g) and do a progressive strength training program (Stronglifts, Starting Strength etc). Note though, this sort of body recomposition is not fast.

ETA - you can't spot reduce. The fat will come from where it wants to.
  • jmgill1
    jmgill1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat more than 1g/lb protein, but it's not worth struggling for.

10% is definitely attainable. But if you aren't muscular to start off, you'll look tiny when you get there, especially at 5'7.

Scale body fat % is like a broken clock. It might be right, but probably not.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    +1<3
    Saddest thing ever is that spot reduction is a myth. I'm a female who naturally carries fat in her upper body. HATE it, but overall reduction is what gets rid of "trouble spots".