I have a serious sweet tooth! What do you recommend?

Options
MamaKay3
MamaKay3 Posts: 35 Member
Chocolate and sweets are my MAJOR weakness. They are the hardest for me to turn down. Instead of eliminating sweets, I'd rather have healthier options to help me stick to my goals, not only for me but my family as well - so if any of you have a favorite dessert or can share a recipe it would be most appreciated!! :)

Replies

• jmp0127
    jmp0127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl's 200 Desserts under 200 calories is awesome! Everything I've tried in this cookbook is a keeper. She also has the Hungry Girl Diet coming out next month and she has a show on Food Network and The Cooking Channel on Wednesday and Thursday mornings.

jmp0127
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible for a sweet tooth in the evening in particular. Some things that have been good:

Greek yogurt with chocolate PB2 mixed in

Make my own Reese peanut butter cups (I loosely follow Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe). I find if I have to make my own, I eat less because I spend time waiting for them to set; I only make one at a time so I'm more likely to only eat one if I have to go back and make the effort to make another one.

3-2-1 mug cake (although this is only in a pinch as I don't love it)

Jello pudding (I like the Oreo one)

Dole Live Right Double Dark Chocolate bites (like really dense, chocolatey muffins)
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    Candy bra...or if your being healthy and junk frozen fruits.

Strawberry slices.
    Blueberries.
    Grapes.
  • MamaKay3
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to check it out!!
    Hungry Girl's 200 Desserts under 200 calories is awesome! Everything I've tried in this cookbook is a keeper. She also has the Hungry Girl Diet coming out next month and she has a show on Food Network and The Cooking Channel on Wednesday and Thursday mornings.

jmp0127
  • MamaKay3
    Options
    Me too! The evening is the worst. Especially after I get my kids in bed and it's my time to relax - it's like eating something sweet instantly pops in my head, lol. Thanks for sharing! :)
    I'm terrible for a sweet tooth in the evening in particular. Some things that have been good:

Greek yogurt with chocolate PB2 mixed in

Make my own Reese peanut butter cups (I loosely follow Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe). I find if I have to make my own, I eat less because I spend time waiting for them to set; I only make one at a time so I'm more likely to only eat one if I have to go back and make the effort to make another one.

3-2-1 mug cake (although this is only in a pinch as I don't love it)

Jello pudding (I like the Oreo one)

Dole Live Right Double Dark Chocolate bites (like really dense, chocolatey muffins)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have completely jumped the rails, I need to cut out carbs for a week or so. Once I do that, I have more control, so that feel satisfied with one serving of anything I want and I am happy with once a day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This:

homemade-cinnamon-sugar-soft-pretzels-with-caramel-dipping-sauce-animation.gif
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have tons of chocolate things! I add a little Nutella to my oatmeal, use chocolate flavored protein powder, and I really like the brownie Quest bars or some type of homemade granola bar with chocolate chips. That gives me my chocolate fix without getting a candy bar and fits well into my calories and goals that I'm trying to hit.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestions posted here, but I simply must have something sweet, my favorite is no sugar jello 1 cup (5 calories) with 3 tablespoons of whipped topping (40 calories) = 45 calories!
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    Sweets are so pervasive in today's diet. Most people have come to expect desert to be a part of a meal, instead of a treat. I suggest cutting out as much sweet stuff from your diet that you can (soda and juice especially). It will be H A R D for the first few days, then it will be Hard for about two weeks and then it will be hard for another few weeks. Then it will be easier. I know, over a MONTH! However, we all need to retrain ourselves on what sweet really is.

Prime example: Peaches fresh off the tress in my backyard when I was a kid. I would bite into it and it would just gush juice and pulp. Fourth of July as a child, Dad had put a watermelon in a cooler the day before. After lunch, he brought it out and cut it for everyone. Cold, sweet, sticky :) Now when I have peach or watermelon it is just meh. Sure it is good, but it not THAT good. However, after 30 days of being back on the right track I had a honey dew at the office on Friday. It was like candy :) I did not crave sweets for the rest of the day. When I thought about it later, I was not thinking of a candy bar or a cola, I was thinking about that fruit. :)

It is almost like muscle memory. We need to retrain ourselves with the good habits and get out of the bad ones. Like bad form in a workout, they just rob you of your desired goals for a short term gain (that only lies in your head).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit, pb2, cocoa powder, protein powder or whatever else you like
    Oatmeal with fruit, almond butter, cinnamon etc etc
    Protein pancakes (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991227-ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg?hl=pancake)
    Ricotta with milk and 1/2 a serving of jello instant pudding (I'm totally addicted to this)
    100 calorie chocolate bars (Trader Joes), ice cream bars (Skinny Cow), frozen yogurt (Yoplait or Healthy Choice)
    Werther's Originals only have 28 calories! (the chewy ones)
    Protein bars

Skinnytaste has delicious recipes as well. I've tried the low fat banana nut bread, the chocolate raspberry cheesecake, the whole wheat blueberry muffins. The main issue is not to eat the whole batch, obviously... Sometimes it's easier for me just to buy a box of cookies and enjoy them one or two at a time, at least I know they will last a while.
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump :bigsmile:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I like frozen mango and frozen cherrys. I only keep around semi sweet chocolate chips, but they hit the spot when I am really desperate. I use spices that go with sugar, like cinnamon, chai, cocoa, or vanila, in tea or coffee with unsweetened almond milk. seems to help.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    a severe cavity .. that will kill your craving for sugar
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I recommend having it removed.

:P

I put fat free yogurt in a Ziploc bad and cut a small tip off and squeeze drops onto a cookie sheet, then I freeze them. They make nice little snacks. Don't take too many out at once or they will melt on ya!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-avocado-pudding/

I used stevia instead of brown sugar and added more coconut milk.
    You could probably use whatever kind of milk you like.
    It's like the richest most divine chocolate mousse ever. :drinker:
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My new obsession: Raw Fruit and Nut Bars!

12 dried dates (rehydrate in water for a half hour maybe)
    8 dried apricots or 1/2 C dried cherries
    1/4 cup of whatever nuts you like (I did 1/2 hazelnut, 1/2 almond)
    lemon peel
    vanilla extract
    cocoa powder if you need a chocolate fix

Blend in a food processor and shape into bars or balls (is easier if you freeze for a little while-they won't actually freeze, but will firm up)
  • MamaKay3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies (and the laughs), these are some great suggestions!! Adding some of these to my list to my grocery list! :)
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    fiber one brownies.......quest bars cookie dough.......pb2
  • jehoey426
    jehoey426 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stauffer's Original animal crackers or a high % coca Dark Chocolate