All over good workout shoes?

Options
Hey everyone, I am looking for a good pair of all over workout shoes for the gym. I won't be doing alot of running particularly so I am not looking for running shoes per say. I go to Lifetime fitness and they offer alot of group fitness classes like zumba, latin fusion, hip hop, barbell training...you get the point. I just want something comfy on my feet but that is good for all aspects of a gym. Right now I have a year old pair of Nike Free and I like them but sometimes they are'nt the greatest to do zumba in.

I am just looking for opinons so when I do go shopping I have an idea what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Replies

• Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No suggestions at all? :ohwell:
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a good cross trainer, they have better lateral support than running shoes. Everyone's feet are different, so find something you think is cute that fits your foot well. Just make sure it says cross trainer somewhere.

Other than that, I haven't done much research so I don't know what the good brands are. Adidas and Nike are always pretty popular. There isn't really as much of a buzz about them like running shoes.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of New Balance cross trainers for the gym and a pair of New Balance Minimus for my workout class. Normally I do my class in socks but got tired of slipping.
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some Altra running shoes but I wear them to kettlebell and circuit as well. I love them because they have a wide toe box and I have wide feet. You can tell it has a more natural shape than your typical workout shoes.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I recommend basketball shoes. They are rugged and built to take multi-directional movements. I bought some nice cross-trainers for Insanity and other HIT exercise and went back to my basketball shoes due to better structure and support.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibram toe shoes for everything gym related, but that's just my personal preference.

90884b40-1846-4780-80a3-e273011bfd0f.jpg
  • Heather032190
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I know that I will have to go shopping and try them on myself to see which feel better.

Thanks again!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I wear a New Balance Minimus shoe for everything. Sometimes I wear 5 fingers or Chucks for lifting, but I have found these to be all around perfect for me.

Plus, everyone sees me coming.

MR10YB2_xl.jpg
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The lighter the better for me!
  • Heather032190
    Options
    My biggest reasoning of asking was because I am not much of a runner so I dont need all that grip and lightweight of a shoe. When I am at the gym I do alot of activities during the week as I said before. Also I want to get into weight lifting so I want a good all over shoe pretty much. It's just the prices of shoes now a days are getting a bit high and I don't want to sound cheap but I want to avoid having to buy multiple pairs for the various activities.

All the suggestions were great. I will definately be looking into some cross-trainers.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to lift heavy? Do lots of squats and deadlifts? If so, you might want to look at Chucks. I'm not sure how they'd be for Zumba and the like, but they are great for lifting and cheaper than Olympic weightlifting shoes.
  • Heather032190
    Options
    Are you wanting to lift heavy? Do lots of squats and deadlifts? If so, you might want to look at Chucks. I'm not sure how they'd be for Zumba and the like, but they are great for lifting and cheaper than Olympic weightlifting shoes.

The plan is to start off small but yes lift heavy. The chucks I have heard are good for weight lifting but as I mentioned not really trying to buy multiple pairs of shoes. If I really get into lifting I think I will eventually have to look into buying a pair or something similiar.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I never really understood the concept of weight lifting shoes, unless you're a serious body builder.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I love my Inov-8s. They are a minimalist shoe but I went with them because I do take a lot of classes, boot camp style, weightlifting, some running and sprints and lots of plyometrics. I also wanted a shoe that covered all my activities.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I never really understood the concept of weight lifting shoes, unless you're a serious body builder.

For me they were necessary when I got to squatting about my body weight. Not having flat shoes was causing me to lean too far forward and my lifts were suffering because of it. Switched to flat shoes and no more problems.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I did the Avon 3 day walk (the first one ever from Santa Barbara to Malibu) and they encouraged running shoes for everything because of the cushion needed for runners, so I tend to lean toward running shoes although I'm not a runner. My favorite brand is Saucony. Usually due to budget, I have to buy whichever ones are on sale but they really last for me and are a well made shoe.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    duh! comfortable running shoes and an outfit u can work out in! ****tard-
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    The only shoes I have found that are good to my feet are New Balance. No matter what the need is I can find a style that works.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Merrell Barefoot shoes, they are the Vibram shoes without the individual toes. I use them for the treadmill and for when I do my weights. I have a different pair of Merrells for the fitness classes during work hours- mostly because I can only buy one new pair of shoes at a time and I dont want to cart my shoes around.

I have overpronation and they give my foot the support it needs, they are minimalistic, and comfy. I was worried about the lack of cushioning in the soul since my old Nike shoes gave me arch troubles when I ran but they are just fine for me. I can feel the tightness in my right arch but as I go the shoe actually helps to stretch and strengthen my foot muscle.

Once Summer comes, I will probably start wearing the Barefoot Merrells everywhere. Winter in my area dictates having indoor and outdoor shoes...
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that your local clothing outlet store (Marshall's or TJ*Maxx, for instance) probably has some year-or-two-old shoes for a lot less than this year's models will cost you. I wind up getting lots of shoes there, since I wear an odd size and they sometimes have especially good deals in, say, a size 14.