WOMEN- Diet & Exercise during PMS

Options
So i'm just about a month in and this week i'm dealing with a huge diet and exercise menace.... my period. How do you all cope with it? The problem I have is dealing with cravings, a HUGE appetite, zero energy and all over body aches. I'm trying to be aware of it but I still ate a candy bar at lunch, don't want to work out and just feel poopy and bloated which doesn't make me want to work out or even eat healthy. I'm not sure how to overcome this one week beast so any advise out there would be great!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    While it can be really hard to force yourself to do it (I know, I have the same issue every month) exercise will actually make you feel better when you're PMSing. Try to make yourself get some exercise in and see if it helps.
  • Marievine81
    Options
    While it can be really hard to force yourself to do it (I know, I have the same issue every month) exercise will actually make you feel better when you're PMSing. Try to make yourself get some exercise in and see if it helps.

Totally agree!! Once you have finished your workout you will feel energised and more alive. I find it helps with cramps to. I ache more after a session during this time but it's worth it and I can scoff a chocolate bar thanks to extra cals :)
    Worth giving it a go
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes exercise will do wonders for PMS. You will feel better once You make it through the first 10 min!!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Just like the others have said -- you just have to do it.... if you go three weeks following your plan and then do nothing for a week, every time you will just set yourself back. Push forward, no excuses!
  • phrendlynut
    phrendlynut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What worked for me last month was starting off slower on the treadmill than normal. I was just proud of myself for moving. Then I picked up the pace as I went. I did have a few days where I just stayed at my slow speed but I still moved. I didn't beat myself up over it too. I think that has been the key for me mentally. I've accepted that I'm not going to change overnight. Slow and steady will eventually win this race.
  • CupcakeGangsta
    CupcakeGangsta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone said exercise will help. I usually workout with a yoga ball and elliptical trainer more during that week. I also eat more foods high in iron because my body is losing iron which is part of why I feel so tired and low energy. I find that vitamin D Complex pill helps with the achey bone feeling. I eat more bananas and drink more water and caffeine free tea. All of these things help me the most during period week. And even during pre-period week I know it's coming with a vengeance so I increase my cardio and healthy habits. Remember YOU control what you buy and what you eat. Don't let yourself give in to a candy bar temptation when you know the results will make you feel worse. You don't want to add to the bloating/fatty feeling. The bloating feeling is just temporary while your uterus screams at the world. Don't cause yourself to gain more weight around this time due to those temporary symptoms.
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    Cravings: load up on fruit lotsss of fruit and leafy greens, your body doesn't need the chocolate bar but it wants more of certain vitamins so loading up on those will seriously cut cravings. Also having something healthy but has the same flavor works to like a chocolate Greek yogurt or banana "ice cream" in place of real ice cream or a chocolate bar.

Bloating: drink waaay more water! And insainly cut back on sodium, I keep mine at under 500mg and get 0 bloating, none! Which is sooo nice.

Exercise: just try to take something that helps with the cramps than just force yourself to do it. Sadly that's kind of the only way is to just do it. You'll have more energy afterwards even if it's a smaller workout than normal.

Little tips that help me I never really get bloating and still can lose weight even on my monthly. It's an awkward horrible feeling during that time of the month but if you just completely give up on diet and exercise during that time and use it as an excuse that's technically 3 months out of the year that you have lost.
  • kdot1983
    Options
    There are some days my cramps are so horrible, that I can't walk standing up straight, it seems. Those days, I try to take a Midol/Pamprin and just rest. I eat less. I don't worry about exercise. But, if it's just fatigue or minor body aches, or mild cramps, I do go to the gym/work out still. It also depends on how bad that period is, I never go on my first two days it seems.

I'm not much of a work out person though. I mostly concentrate on what I eat, instead.

As for the cravings. I have strong ones. And here is the thing, let's say I'm craving cheesecake (because 9 times out of 10, that's what I'm craving)...but, instead, because I was dieting, I ate something else in place, with less calories. Maybe dark chocolate, or pudding. Guess what? That craving will still be haunting me. So, now? During PMS week only, if I'm craving something. I just eat it. I never buy a full cheesecake, I'll eat the whole thing. Instead, I go to the bakery and get one slice. One of the richest pieces, to satisfy that craving. Because, once I get what my body is telling me I want, I can get back on track with the right foods. Just eat it, is my motto. I want that cake, and I'm going to have it. But I'm only going to buy one slice, not a whole cake. So far, it has worked for me.

As for the always feeling hungry part, because that happens here, too during PMS week...I constantly eat/snack. But, not on junk. I will wake up and eat grapes, or some other fruit. I will eat celery or other raw veggies and a tablespoon of hummus. I will drink a lot of water. I will eat good meals, I usually crave beef and I have it. I try to stay within calorie range but I admit, I sometimes go over that week. I just do. And I don't let myself feel too bad about it either. I have the WORST mood swings when I'm hungry. I also have horrible feelings of rage during PMS week (yay me) and I get depressed and feel fat/bloated. If I don't let myself eat that week, it only makes me feel worse. It makes me want to give up. Honestly, I'd rather just lose 3lbs a month and let that week go, than to lose 4lbs and give up because I spun out of control. But that's just how I do it and you have to find what works for you.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I find that yoga always helps but I never thought to just reduce intensity during the week, even though now after reading it it seems so obvious!! The reducing salt intake is impossible since I'm on a salt supplement from my doctor lol so no matter what i'm always going to bloat but I do try to drink extra water but it tends to be coffee and tea lol. As for the chocolate one of my gf's told me that those "Fiber One Brownie Bites" are super tasty so I'm gonna try those next month as I'm on the upswing for this month.

Well, thankfully it's only 4 days out of my month... but it's a rough 4 days lol!! I'm gonna keep these tips in mind for next month!!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    As for the exercise, the only thing that works for me is to suck it up and go to the gym. I'm fine once I get the cajones to go and I feel way better afterwards.

As for cravings/being hungry all the time, I can say that I started a 12 week transformation program about 6 weeks ago. I eat small meals every 3-4 hours and I eat a ton of protein. I have never followed a nutrition plan like this before, and for the first time in my life, I have zero food cravings during PMS. Swear on my mom's grave. It's weird, but I really believe that if you can keep your blood sugar stable, the cravings get better.

Just my 2 cents. Shark week is due in next week and I'm feeling pretty good this week (typically the week before I'm an angry, hungry, lazy butt)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I got my period this morning, and I'm getting ready to leave for the gym soon to lift and maybe do a little cardio. I had a donut, but I had planned on eating that donut since yesterday. You can allow yourself to have something, just make it fit in your day. Pre-logging my day helps a lot, that way I know what I have to work with if I decide I want something else. If you like flavored teas (decaf during this time, caffeine will intensify cramps), when you feel like you just have to have something, but you know you're not hungry, make a cup of tea. There are some pretty good chocolate ones out there, too.
  • Seros1992
    Seros1992 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you have a regular cycle, load up on foods that are rich in magnesium the week before. It will help with cravings... also, you're (surprise) recommended to increase salt intake that week (and decrease carbs - boo). The week of, make sure you're getting enough Iron from meats and dark leafy greens. Go a little easier as everyone has mentioned and don't be afraid to treat yourself here and there.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I find exercise is far worse for me. I end up getting really dizzy, feel faint and nauseous. Take a rest day if it's bad, but just one. I don't have cravings though, but I do get really bloated. Everyone is different.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Tagging in cause I could use the tips too.

I forced my way through the past couple days workouts in a big way. If figure some effort is better than couch effort? Tonight I gave up 22 minutes in because the instructor was annoying me with her "swag" and I was ready to hit the tv. I did flip over and finished up with some yoga so it wasn't all for lost.

Lemon hot tea seems to a.) reduce the bloating and b.) makes me feel better. But yeah, chug that water. I think it was the only thing that's gotten me through the day.

Oh and chocolate luna bars. Yes I know the sugar is too high but when that's the only option in the break room outside of cany bars, you take it. *grumbles*
  • brashz
    Options
    So glad you started this thread! I have the same issues. Thanks for all the tips.
  • RelevantKnowledge
    RelevantKnowledge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Like pretty much everyone else said- you just have to do it. Yeah, it's hard at first, but you'll probably feel a lot better after you workout. Even if it's just a walk, lifting some weights or yoga. When you workout, not only are you getting your blood flowing, but you're also getting your lymphatic system going (it's often referred to as the secondary circulatory system, and it plays a large role in keeping us healthy!) Particularly wonderful benefits of exercising during PMS include an energy boost- more oxygen to your muscles, cardio workouts make your heart and lungs more efficient; feel good chemicals are released in the brain... all good stuff. Provided that you're not overdoing it and injuring yourself, there's really no downside to doing something active, especially while your PMSing. Also, I've noticed exercise during this time of the month helps me keep my cravings in check, AND- if I do indulge I've got exercise calories to fall back on. But ****, I eat chocolate every day. I make it work, so I don't eat a whole bag (and I don't mean the bag in the checkout isle, I mean the big one in the candy isle) of M & M's or house a thing of mini-snickers, which I'm ashamed to say I've been known to do.

OP, a lot of it is trial and error- what works for one of us might not work for you. You have to play around with things, see what helps and what doesn't, and don't get discouraged if you end up overindulging or don't exercise. Just focus on the next meal, day... whatever. It's a marathon, not a race, right?
  • redambition
    redambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I take the Nike slogan very seriously: JUST DO IT! I also try to assemble some motivational things (music, my favourite workout kit, etc) to pump me up and get me in the mood to keep going.

If I ever feel really, really bad, then I allow myself one day. I move one of my rest days and then pick it up again. I may go for a walk or do some stretching, just to get a bit of movement in.

If I'm just feeling blah, unmotivated and sorry for myself, a technique I've tried is telling myself that I will try working out for 10 minutes. At the end of the 10 minutes, if I'm really really struggling then I can stop. Most of the time though, by the time I get to 10 minutes the endorphins have kicked in and I'm motivated to finish.

When it comes to food - I try to be careful, but I also allow myself treats. I find that maintaining a pretty healthy diet most of the time has helped alleviate cravings. I still get them, but they are nowhere as bad as they have been for me.
  • AliceRoseHooperAC
    Options
    I'm guilty of completely abandoning my diet and exercise regimen during pas and the first few painful days of my period - but i ALWAYS regret it and would argue its the reason I'm not losing any weight.

My tips are: try and stay within your calorie goal, but if you are really craving something then just have it - otherwise if you don't you'll end up overindulging and being a bit guilty. I think at this time of month you crave things because your body really does need them, but try take the healthy option - e.g. if you can't stop thinking about chocolate then have a ew squares of dark chocolate, or a hot chocolate with semi skimmed milk.

Likewise, with the gym, even though you may think omg i cannot possibly drag myself there i feel like crap...just drive there, no commitment needed, you just need to drive yourself there, and you'll more than likely get in and do a little something.

Also, with the water retention, just avoid salt and drink water 24/7 you'll be grand.

and now the most difficult part - to follow my own advice! haha

good luck x
  • Worthy2bFIT
    Worthy2bFIT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I HAVE LEARNED TO TAKE PERIOD WEEK VERY VERY VERY LIGHGTLY .
    AND EAT A LOT OF PROTEIN, VEGGIES AND FRUIT !
    exercise moderately but dont push yourself or force yourself more then you can handle.