Snacking in between meals! How many calories?

Options
I snack between my meals but im still kind of unsure how many calories these snacks should be?
<100?
100-200 calories?

Any tips or opinions are appreciated! :)

Replies

• Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It all depend on your goals and meal sizes. I always have too many snack calories, and always want more.
  • kjohnson4613
    kjohnson4613 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that I do pretty well staying between 50 and 100 calories for my between meal snacks. That being said I eat between 1400 and 1500 calories a day and do 25 minutes to an hour of high intensity workouts. Hope that helps some. :smile:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have 3-4 snack periods a day (well, in reality, I eat all day long, call it what you will), each averaging around 200 calories. I've been averaging just under 1900 calories a day and burn on average 500 calories a day.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It all depend on your goals and meal sizes. I always have too many snack calories, and always want more.

This- totally depends on what your total calorie goal is, and how big you like your meals to be. Personally, my calorie goal is 2100. I usually eat roughly 350 cals breakfast, 450 cals lunch, 550 cals for dinner. I prefer to eat more later in the day. If I follow that rough outline, that leaves me lots of calories for snacks. Today, between 2:00 and right now (5:00 pm where I am) I've had 600 snack calories. But that's just me- I like to graze! My breakfast and dinner for today are a little smaller than usual, so I'm still going to have another 300 calories to play with- I may make dinner bigger, or I may have a nice dessert! I LOVE snacks :drinker: :blushing:
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Depending on my exercise for the day, and whether I know what I'm having for lunch/dinner I'll eat anything from a greek yogurt and fruit to toast, fruit, yogurt, chocolate etc.

As long as it fits your macros and calories for the day :)

Today snack wise I've had 2 mini chocolate bars, one dairymilk chocolate bar, one apple, one clementine, one bowl of porrdige with peanut butter, 2 gluten free biscuits, one greek yogurt and one tub of dairylea dunkers ...
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you eat during meals and what your net calorie goal is.

I know most of my snacks are now fruits and veggies, because I won't lie I hate veggies and the only one I can really eat and not gag is carrots. I have to get my other veggies in green smoothies which for me is about a 200 calorie snack, would be 100, but I put protein powder and milk in it now so I can meet my protein macro. Ironically it also makes it taste loads better.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I graze all day long keeping within my calorie goal. Usually just a little under. My favorite go to Shop Rite salt free rice cake with 1/4 tbls PB = 80 cal
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Try breaking your meals up into portions each day i.e. instead of eating 3 times a day and snacking in between, have smaller meals throughout the day (5-6). For me I find i am then less hungry and less likely to over eat this way.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    In my desk drawer at work I keep Starkist Tuna Creations (90 cals), almonds (170/oz), and Clif or Quest bars (240).
    I usually only eat half of the bars for a snack. Keeps me from going through the candy/chips/other stuff in the break room.

If I'm feeling extra food-preppy, I'll have some cut up fruit, cottage cheese and siracha, or veggies and dip.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yeah depends on your goals/needs. When I was running like every day I could blow 1200 calories on JUST snacks.
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try breaking your meals up into portions each day i.e. instead of eating 3 times a day and snacking in between, have smaller meals throughout the day (5-6). For me I find i am then less hungry and less likely to over eat this way.

This definitely works. Also it helps if you plan out your meals in advance, this way you can modify them accordingly. Add a snack here and there if you like and you wont be looking a 3:30 pm saying "oh crap i can only eat 200 calories for the rest of the day" because you tracked on the fly. When I consume my last daily meal, I go into MFP add my last little bit of water and plan my meals for the next day.

Just my two cents
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    I try to plan one day ahead, so I log my three main meals and snacking depends on calories I have left and if I'm hungry. But I usually snack on fruit or sandwiches so between 100-200 calories.
  • noelr56
    noelr56 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Today snack wise I've had 2 mini chocolate bars, one dairymilk chocolate bar, one apple, one clementine, one bowl of porrdige with peanut butter, 2 gluten free biscuits, one greek yogurt and one tub of dairylea dunkers ...

I'm jealous of your snacks :wink:

I've had a pear, and a greek yogurt! I try to keep it between 50-150 calories, and I must have an afternoon snack or else I can't find the energy to make it to the gym after work.
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help! :smile:
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think that depends on a lot of things. I don't know about you, but I can't remember a time in my life when I was having three square meals a day. Even though we're counting calories, our lives are not made of numbers. Have a snack that will keep you from getting hungry before your next meal, balance your nutrients, satisfy you, and fit in your limit. Whether that gives you a 50-calorie snack or a 500-calorie snack, that's cool!
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Most of my snacks are 100-200cals. Today I've had some Droewors and Biltong totalling 174 cals and in a bit, I'm thinking a coffee with cream would go down well (100 cals). Later on, a piece of Camembert perhaps. :)