Starvation mode

Options
Hey all,
I'm new to this and so I'm just wondering if maybe ye could help me?
I seem to have calories left over at the end of each day and its telling me down the bottom that this could put my body into starvation mode and make it harder to lose weight. I don't feel hungry between meals so what do I do to use up these extra calories?
I am trying to eat proper portion sizes and I have cut out a lot of the junk food I used to eat but I do have a treat day at the weekend.
It also seems togive me an allowance for any exercise i do, should I disregard those extra calories it is allowing me?
Thanks a mil
:)

Replies

• bobdubya
    Options
    I get the same thing. I know it's not healthy to put your body in that mode. But, MFP may put that notice as a liability thing as much as any other reason. Some days I'm closer then others to my calorie allotment. I just make sure I have three lite and balanced meals everyday with a few snacks thrown in as the day goes by. (Fruit usually) And always my 100 cal popcorn at night. Good luck..
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    I think you'll get varying opinions on this... some people believe in starvation mode, some don't.

I can only speak from experience. I once lost a whole bunch of weight eating as few calories as I could... usually only ate about 700 calories a day. I felt okay during the process and lost weight fast. However, I also started losing my hair and put the weight back on really fast because my body had gotten used to so few calories.

So you have to find that middle ground there between not enough and too many.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am someone who lost 42lbs staying away from starvation mode. I sometimes did stay under my calories but only when exercise cals had been added to my daily total! Some people will insist that it does not exist...but weight loss can be successfully achieved by eating the calories that MFP suggests.

If you consistently went below your calories..there would be a chance that you would become deficient in certain essential nutrients and vitamins. Food feeds your metabolism and gives you energy to burn those cals during exercise. Yes, you will lose weight quickly by starving yourself...but you will put it on just as quickly...Slow and steady wins the race.

The most important factor..is to listen to YOUR body..nobody elses..if you are hungry...then eat! If you are not feeling hungry..then don't eat. You will get a LOT of conflicting opinions on this site, but you need to do what is right for you.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • sapphire983
    Options
    As long as you are eating AT LEAST 1200 calories a day, (including subtracting your exercise) then disregard it. However, if you are below 1200 calories, I would definitely eat more. I lost 55lbs this year by eating anywhere from 1300-1600 calories a day. Some days were higher, some were lower. If one day you were high on calories, it's okay to be lower on the next day. But don't keep your calorie-intake consistently under 1200 a day. It's unhealthy and not a good lifestyle change. You will gain weight back once you "get off" your "low-calorie diet".

Starvation mode is not safe. It's like taking diet pills or throwing up. You eat healthy, get enough calories (fat/protein/carbs) that your body needs and it will love you back and shred fat. Just make sure to keep your exercising on high gear! Good luck!

Also, if you need an idea to add more calories to your diet...eat nuts such as almonds and cashews.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but one way to eat a few extra calories without eating more food is to make swaps like 2% milk instead of skim, or adding PB to your banana. Little swaps like that don't necessarily cause you to eat more food, but will give you the extra calories you're missing to get you to your daily goal and avoid chronically being under 1200 and therefore prevent your body from entering starvation mode. Hope this helps!
  • hollywood_girl
    hollywood_girl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue of not being able to meet my 1200cal goal.. I find that I'm too busy or simply not hungry and by the time i sit down to eat, its late at night and I don't want to go to bed on an empty stomach. I'm also a vegetarian, which makes it much more difficult.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    This is a good sticky post to read regarding starvation mode!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad :flowerforyou:
  • Doctorcb
    Options
    Starvation mode is a true thing. It seems counterintuitive that you have to eat to lose weight. Restricting calories reduces your metabolism and eats your muscle. I want to keep muscle and keep my metabolism high. The only way to do that is keep your calories in line with toal energy expenditure. Myfitnesspal is a great tool but flawed in its calculations. I set my calorie tracker on this site to maintain weight and lose weight based only on the deficit I creat from exercise. This approach is healthier and will save your metabolism and your lean muscle mass. Weight and BMI are just a number and are irrelevant. Body fat% and waist size are a better clinical measure of health.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I started here I had been eating 400-700 calories a day (with exercise), though I didn't know it. I thought I was still eating enough food and I didn't feel hungry. But I was exhausted all the time, super cranky, and I definitely didn't lose weight. Since I started eating at least 1200 net calories (calories consumed minus calories burned) I've lost a pound a week consistently.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    When I started here I had been eating 400-700 calories a day (with exercise), though I didn't know it. I thought I was still eating enough food and I didn't feel hungry. But I was exhausted all the time, super cranky, and I definitely didn't lose weight. Since I started eating at least 1200 net calories (calories consumed minus calories burned) I've lost a pound a week consistently.

This is very encouraging. I am the same as you eating 400 - 700 calories and exercising. I'm going to try and top my calorie intake and just exercise more. My driving instructor last year saw me lose a lot of weight week by week. She told me off for not concentrating and linked it to my diet because she was shocked at how little I was eating.

Hopefully this will change and I'll be less cranky and more focus once I top my calories. I enjoy exercising so hopefully this will help me lost a bit more weight (since I've stalled now) and do it the more healthier way.