8 Hour Diet vs. Myfitness pal

Options
A friend of mine has lost 45 lbs on the 8 hour diet and he eats everything. I am struggling to loose 20. He says that I can combine the 8 hour with fitness pal . Anyone tried this ? Anyone tried the 8 hour diet ?

Replies

• WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has lost 45 lbs on the 8 hour diet and he eats everything. I am struggling to loose 20. He says that I can combine the 8 hour with fitness pal . Anyone tried this ? Anyone tried the 8 hour diet ?

What are the terms for this diet? Don't think i've even heard of it.
  • KayRisTee
    KayRisTee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't think Quick fix diets ever work because they give you an unhealthy relationship with food. You never learn moderation or appreciation for healthy foods or a love of exercising. I was a fad dieter for a couple years, and I lost a lot of weight, but I ALWAYS gained it all back. As soon as I'd get to good weight I'd go back to my old eating habits and put all the weight back on.
    Myfitnesspal may not get you really fast results but it teaches what you should be eating, helps you achieve a balanced diet, and encourages regular exercise.

The 8hour diet is just that a Diet, MyFitnessPal is a lifestyle and habit changer. So ask yourself, do you want to be skinny for a bit or do you want to be healthy for life?
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this is just a kind of intermittent fasting, where you fast for 16 hours/day (including sleep time) and eat all your calories within an 8 hour window. I'm actually currently trying it, not for weight loss but to try to get a handle on binging episodes. I'm hoping that condensing my calories into larger meals during the time of day I'm hungriest will help with the insatiable hunger I seem to struggle with when "grazing" on 6 or so smaller meals throughout the day.

There is a ton of information available about the supposed benefits of intermittent fasting, but I honestly haven't read too much about that. I'm mainly trying it to see whether it helps me control my urges to binge.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    When you eat has no bearing on whether you lose or not. You have to eat at a deficit to lose weight and it really doesn't matter when you do it.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I think you're referring to 16:8 intermittent fasting. It's helpful to some people because you consume your entire day's worth of calories in an 8 hour window and it fills you up and usually keeps you full. I do it just because I don't eat breakfast anyway, so it just happens that I eat lunch and dinner in an 8 hour window. It's no better or worse for weight loss than eating whenever you'd like, it just comes down to preference.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Bump, coz it's my second day doing this intermittent fasting which I'm very good at.

The 8 hour diet is more like a lifestlye change than a diet. So for me I prefer to call this as a lifestyle change and habits. :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I think you're referring to 16:8 intermittent fasting. It's helpful to some people because you consume your entire day's worth of calories in an 8 hour window and it fills you up and usually keeps you full. I do it just because I don't eat breakfast anyway, so it just happens that I eat lunch and dinner in an 8 hour window. It's no better or worse for weight loss than eating whenever you'd like, it just comes down to preference.

What he said. Same calories, different time period. I find I eat less when I don't eat breakfast, and then have 2 big meals. Just a preference. He's creating a calorie deficit, that's all.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Like every other diet and excercise plan, if you create a calorie deficit on a consistent basis you will lose weight in the long term. Some diets try to distract you so accidentally create the deficit but give them credit for their plan, some try to attack it directly. Some do a little of both.
  • I don't know how you intermittent fasting people can do it. I was in lab all day today and wound up going about eight hours without eating. I felt shaky. The last time I went so long my head started spinning and I nearly passed out.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I used to do this 16:8, 18:6 sometimes 20:4 but then when I focused on my macros I just couldn't eat as much in a small time frame so I'm now doing what they recommended for women which is 14:10! I had trouble getting enough protein in that small window! Going to work my way through it though, hopefully go back to 16:8.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you intermittent fasting people can do it. I was in lab all day today and wound up going about eight hours without eating. I felt shaky. The last time I went so long my head started spinning and I nearly passed out.

I'm not super strict with it but There is an adjustment period. First time I tried to skip breakfast, it was like the worst thing and all i could think about was food and noon was glorious. Now i will look up from my desk and it will be 2 and i'll take my lunch.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You definitely can't think of it as a diet, nor as an excuse to binge. I do 16:8 IF because I'm never hungry til around 2pm. I eat lunch at 2:30, snack at 5pm, dinner at 7 and another snack at 9pm. It works for me and my lifestyle and that's the key. Use MFP to log your food and you've got both tools helping you.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you intermittent fasting people can do it. I was in lab all day today and wound up going about eight hours without eating. I felt shaky. The last time I went so long my head started spinning and I nearly passed out.

You have to eat plenty of protein and fat. I try to eat at least 100 grams of protein a day (on the low end) and 60 or more grams of fat. This will give you sustained energy. Just think about high carb foods as fast burning energy. Those foods will give you the peaks and valleys in your energy.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do it during my work week. It works for me with my night shift job schedule and still use MFP to log my intake to make sure I don't go over my calories goal.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Google LeanGains Intermittent Fasting and read his blog (Martin Berkhan). 16:8 protocol is terrific for some people, not for others. You still need to eat below your TDEE to lose fat, and ensure that you are eating adequate protein etc..

Yes, you can use the 16:8 protocol with MFP to log your food and yes, it will work if you use both systems properly. It does not have to be one versus the other. One is a lifestyle, the other is a tool to track your nutrition and exercise.

At the end of the week, you need to have a calorie deficit and it would be good to incorporate some activity as well.

Best of luck.
  • bcarothers2
    Options
    I am loving the 8 hour diet because I also do better without breakfast and it fits better with my lifestyle. I have found it works great with My fitness pal and not one or the other.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i eat for 8 hours and fast for 16. i eat from 10 am to 6 pm. i have lost 35 lbs and kept it off by this method. it works for me......
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Sounds like IF. I tried 16:8 for a while, but started having some hormonal issues from it, so I currently do 14:10, noon to 10 pm. It's a lifestyle choice for me - I'm just not hungry in the morning and I like going to bed full. You still have to watch your calories and macros, though. It's not a license to overindulge!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I stick to an 8 hour eating 'window' (there or abouts some times more, sometimes less) which helps me control how much I eat better. I eat 1-9pm.

However, I choose the foods I want to eat and make sure they fit macro-nutrients consistent with my goals (losing as little muscle as possible while losing weight at a moderate not fast pace.)
  • nstemen
    Options
    I don't think Quick fix diets ever work because they give you an unhealthy relationship with food. You never learn moderation or appreciation for healthy foods or a love of exercising. I was a fad dieter for a couple years, and I lost a lot of weight, but I ALWAYS gained it all back. As soon as I'd get to good weight I'd go back to my old eating habits and put all the weight back on.
    Myfitnesspal may not get you really fast results but it teaches what you should be eating, helps you achieve a balanced diet, and encourages regular exercise.

The 8hour diet is just that a Diet, MyFitnessPal is a lifestyle and habit changer. So ask yourself, do you want to be skinny for a bit or do you want to be healthy for life?

What she said!! ^^