protein shake add ins?

Options
Hey you all i am off to the gym and for dinner i am going to have a chocolate protein shake, i was wondering what else i can add in it, peanut butter maybe?? with milk? should i add ice and blend it, lol i am really bad at this, thank you :)

Replies

• skylersnanna
    Options
    I tend to buy vanilla flavour so I can add frozen berries and other yummy things, maybe a small banana would be nice with chocolate
  • sapphire983
    Options
    There are so many things you can add! I heard from a fellow MFP that a tbsp of chocolate syrup is good to add for post workouts. You can add a few cups of spinach to your protein shake, I haven't tried it yet but I heard you can't even taste it and it adds a great nutritional boost.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You could have a choc berry?? just add your fave berries instead of peanut butter??

I normally buy the strawberry or vanilla shakes as they are easier to mix and match... =)

At the moment Im taking ISO Whey Strawberries and cream, mix it with skim milk then add any of the following, depending on what i have, Strawberries, black / blue berries, raspberries, banana, kiwi fruit (gives it a nice tangy flavour), Yogurt....
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Besides the usual peanut butter, I made a peppermint patty shake once. Go very easy on the peppermint extract, though a little goes a long way and just tastes awful if you go overboard.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been putting canned pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice, or a scoop of pumpkin pie mix into my chocolate protein shakes (it's chocolate protein powder). Peanut butter is another favorite. Or if you want to add some flavor, coffee creamers are actually great. I blend my shakes up with light vanilla soy milk, ice, and some add-in from the list above and blend in my 16 oz mini blender. They taste fabulous.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I put almond milk and a banana in my protein shakes, along with some ice. it actually tastes like a chocolate banana milk shake. I love it :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, bananas, maybe strawberries, and if you're looking for an over the top protein serving-- instant kashi vanilla oatmeal.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    just had lean shake with like 4 tbs of peanut butter! I know its alot but really satisfied my snacking cravings!!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    This is good. Need natural flavoured protein powder though.

APPLE PIE PROTEIN SHAKE

2 cups skim milk
    1 scoop natural protein powder
    250g canned sliced apple
    2 Arnotts Nice biscuits
    1 tsp cinnamon

banana and pb go great with chocolate though. Or maybe add some vanilla essense.

I keep the berry ones seperate from chocolate for some reason. Might try it some time though :)
  • hollmart
    hollmart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Frozen raspberries. Frozen work better than fresh.

Peanut butter is great, but has considerable fat/calories.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I just made my regular chocolate shake extra good today so I had to share

Chocolate Peanut Butter Strawberry Banana Protein Shake

1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (I use body fortress from Walmart)
    1/4 cup frozen strawberries and bananas (basically 2 strawberries and about 3-4 slices of banana)
    1 tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
    1 cup skim milk

All this for 272 calories, 4g fat and 3g fiber, sooo good!

Whatever you decide to do adding frozen fruit is excellent as it makes it frothy, cold and more like a milk shake. I wouldn’t recommend adding ice to a milk-based drink that would water down the taste.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You could sprinkle in some instant coffee granules and make a mocha shake. I also put instant coffee in a vanilla protein shake.....tastes like a vanilla latte. A few ice cubes makes the whole thing seem like ice cream..... Hubby uses frozen berries with the vanilla protein powder. Best wishes!!
  • WTFitness
    WTFitness Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As many people have already mentioned, banana and peanut butter are excellent in chocolate protein shakes. I also add flaxseeds, and split milk and CHOCOLATE milk in a 3:1 ratio...it sweetens up the whole thing, and I think it's delicious!
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wow... these are great ideas. I have been unable to fill out my protein portion, a protein shake would probably do it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Whole foods are better in most cases (unless you want protein quickly absorbed ie. post workout)

Forgot to mention, slice bananas and put them in the freezer. It's awesome :)
  • eggduelkicks
    Options
    frozen strawberries are yummy with chocolate as well, i'm sure cherries would be too.