Do you make sure to match your calories every day or every w

Options
Just wondering, do you make sure that every single day you stay within your calorie allowance, or do you balance things out over the course of the week?

So, for example, on Sunday you go for a long run and don't eat all the calories you burned off. On Monday, you don't make it to the gym, and go over by 100 calories, but you have more than 100 that you didn't "use" on Sunday.

Replies

• TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I don't really believe in "banking" them. Your Body is constantly pulling what it needs, not really just when you want to eat or exercise.
  • littlet22
    Options
    I don't really believe in "banking" them. Your Body is constantly pulling what it needs, not really just when you want to eat or exercise.

congrats on the not smoking!!
    i quit 1,153 days ago. lol.
    you can do it!!! :D
  • littlet22
    Options
    oh and on the topic....
    i'm pretty new to mfp and didn't even realize that some people may work their calories out over a week.
    my goals are to set up a good structure for daily life so i've been keeping close eye everyday.
    i am curious to know if the "banking" idea works, though i'm not willing to try it out myself. lol
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and exercise. While I do count my calories I tend to not stress too much on getting things perfect. There are days when I'm just not hungry or have time to eat and I'll eat something healthy and only get like 500 cals when there's other days of the week I might go 100-200 over. As long as each isn't consistent (too low or too high) it tends to balance out during weigh ins. This my experience. Trying to match it every single day is too stressful.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options

congrats on the not smoking!!
    i quit 1,153 days ago. lol.
    you can do it!!! :D

Thank you SOOOOOO much!!! I appreciate that!!! it's VERY hard. BUT I need to. I feel better already and it's only been 4 days. I cna't believe the dif!!!!!

Congrats to you too!! That is amazing!!!
  • anghahnmowry
    Options
    I don't bank any of my calories. Each day I eat what I'm allowed. I think that "banking" makes a person think that on that one day a week, they can eat whatever you want. For me this is a lifestyle change, how to eat in moderation every day. I did weight watchers in the past and they do banking points. I just felt like I would over eat on that one day and usually fell off the wagon. When I'm accountable daily, I'm able to take each day at a time. So far its worked, I am down one pants size. Skinny girl jeans, here I come!!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't consciously bank or allow extra, but I listen to my body. If I did some good workouts in the week but wasn't overly hungry, and then next day or two I am starving, I will eat a little extra. I don't go crazy, maybe a few hundred calories over, but I figure that I have been doing this for long enough now with my body happy with its calorie intake, that if I am HUNGRY, then I should listen. Been working for me so far! :wink:
  • EmpressB
    EmpressB Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've always been under my calories...whether by 6 or 300, I don't try to save calories up, but sometimes it happens.

I don't want to make it a habit where I think "Oh I can go over today because yesterday I had 300 left", because I'm scared that attitude could backfire, but I am mindful of the fact that if it were to happen, I wouldn't have to freak out since most days I'm under my allowance so it would even out.
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I do not bank my calories either. Each day is a new day. I rarely go over in calories. I don't drink etoh anymore, so it is easy to stay under the calories. I think MFP has allowed me too many calories. I would not get into the habit of banking calories. If you get lazy you could be banking way too many calories and not have your calories in mind for the right day.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Everything day by day. Overall I try to do as many days with any kind of exercise I can and keep around my calorie goal. I'd like to be a little bit under if I've exercised, and not eat back all my calories. I keep trying to get it the best I can every day, because I know one day here or there I won't be able to. If that's what you mean by evening out by the end of the week, then yeah. I don't plan to do it.

Every day is new, so I try not to look back! If it's over and I can't work it off more, then thats that. If it's a little under, or on track, then good!
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nah, I do not make up calories. After working out I eat dinner. I try to aim, purposely, below my daily calorie amount (not by a lot but a few hundred).

The reason I do this is because I want my body to notice those tasty fat reserves that it stored earlier in the year. I even do not eat right away after working out. I may wait an hour or so. I've noticed that doing this, it seems my appetite tends to lessen like it is less focused on the stomach and more focused on the reserves.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i try to keep as close daily as possible, but i also don't stress too much if i go over by a few if i've had some big deficits throughout the week :)
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well for me personally it has worked to 'bank' my calories. If I workout during the week and don't eat all my exercise calories, I allow myself to eat them on Saturday when I typically 'need' them because of get togethers and stuff. I've been on the weight loss journey since June 21st and that's what I've been doing. My only draw back, I believe, is that I don't exercise enough. I would have lost more by now if I made myself exercise everyday :(

It's really a personal choice, what works for some may not work for others so you may have to try it out and see what works for you.

Best of luck!
  • rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your body doesn't really allow you to bank calories. Think about this, can you bank sleep? It might feel like you don't get enough sleep all week and then sleep extra on the weekend, but it doesn't really balance out. It's better to just get your body into the right routine with eating habits -- don't gorge and don't under-eat. If you do splurge, fine, celebrate it. There's nothing wrong with a piece of cake. If you don't eat enough, whatever. Consistency is really the key here. Trust me, your body will thank you later, and you will be impressed with the results. The boom & bust cycle just doesn't work.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I stay within my daily calorie allotment as set by my nutritionist. I'm striving for a real balance between my nutrients right now and know I wouldn't be able to achieve that on a weekly basis.