Sodium - You are the bane of my nutritional existence

Options
This is just a random rant about my love/hate relationship with sodium. I mean I love salty foods. Crisps, bacon, gammon, ham the list goes on & on but trying to stay below my daily allowance is abysmal. It's not even that I'm seeking out high-salt foods, I'm really not. I'll finish the day about 500 calories under my target sometimes just so I don't go over my sodium limit. I make a point of staying under everything I possibly can in a day. Now I know that all sodium would really do (unless I really went crazy and ate about 2x my limit daily) is retain a bit of water, but It's just so depressing to look at it and think "ahhh I failed; I'm over my macros".

I suppose it's about time I started making time to cook my own things, but as a fairly busy student I can always find an excuse not to.

Replies

• GeekyKellie
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I'm sitting here planning out my day, and I can't find a way with the foods I have at home to stay under the 2,300 sodium. Staying under the calories is no problem...

One thing I have to definitely stay away from is sliced deli meat. So much sodium, and I thought I wasn't making a bad choice eating it!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical problem with sodium intake, it's fine. I completely removed sodium off of my dashboard... I don't even track it. Protein/Carbs matter to me, not sodium.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical problem with sodium intake, it's fine. I completely removed sodium off of my dashboard... I don't even track it. Protein/Carbs matter to me, not sodium.

I don't, either. I thought Macros were Protein, Carbs, and Fat? These, and calories obviously, are the only things I track.

Actually, I DO track Fiber, too, as I want to make sure I'm getting enough (I actually take fiber supplements, haha)
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

I don't, either. I thought Macros were Protein, Carbs, and Fat? These, and calories obviously, are the only things I track.

Actually, I DO track Fiber, too, as I want to make sure I'm getting enough (I actually take fiber supplements, haha)

I don't really track fat too much since a lot of what I eat (eggs a lot) has fat in it, and I ALWAYS end up with more than enough daily.

Fiber is good too. I take a daily supplement for that in the AM.
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You know, that is not a bad idea. I'm trying to increase my protein and even carbs so maybe If I remove the sodium I'll quit focusing on it and focus more on what I need more of. I'm going to take if off now and go refill my water. ;)
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I tend to have the opposite problem. I was getting headaches and I -think- it was from lack of sodium. I was also feeling dehydrated, even though I drink quite a bit of water. I keep trying to find ways to get more sodium into my diet. <_<
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I am VERY sodium sensitive. On the day following the day I hit 2K mg with my sodium, my eyes are puffy and I am up a couple pounds water weight. Because of this (and the fact I am just not crazy about salt,) I try to keep my sodium under 1,500 mg/day.

Have been this way since 20, at least. Don't even own a salt shaker. I do have a container of salt, used to salt french fries and boiling pasta water. Neither that I have had for months.
  • caraherch
    Options
    This was me too! I thought all the deli turkey was great, but my sodium was through the roof. Took a few days of picking through my items before I realized it was coming from turkey. Next I will look for a different way to eat it without the salt and preservatives- any ideas besides just buying the whole bird and cooking at home?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This was me too! I thought all the deli turkey was great, but my sodium was through the roof. Took a few days of picking through my items before I realized it was coming from turkey. Next I will look for a different way to eat it without the salt and preservatives- any ideas besides just buying the whole bird and cooking at home?

Before buying that whole turkey...check the sodium level...they have a tendency to shoot frozen poultry up with a solution that is very high in sodium...helps to preserve it.

I am trying to stay at around 1500 due to high BP...I use no salt in cooking nor use a salt shaker. I still have problems just due to the sodium that is added to food. I also use very little processed foods.
  • toad493lbs
    toad493lbs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I too have a fight with the evil sodium! I am very sensitive too its effects. Over 2000 and my legs swell and my lungs feel the resistance. Its a daily fight that I am winning by making more of my own foods like tortillas. Its very easy for me to gain 5 lbs in a day just getting to much!
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Nice to see I'm not the only one!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    For those that eat chicken...

Sanderson Farms does not add sodium to their chicken. It is a little pricier but I have switched over to using it. Only 45mg per serving for the breast pieces.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Sodium is EVIL. My husband and I are trying to keep our sodium levels low, since my mom has congestive heart failure, and his dad died of a heart attack. Basically, we're trying to combat our genetics by staying away from the white devil (sodium) and eating healthy fats like fish and avocados.

Anyway, I found Trader Joe's unsalted peanut butter. It took me a little while to get used to it, but now I LOVE it! Plus, there's a lot less sugar in it, compared to the big brands. I've tried getting low sodium sliced turkey, and ugh, that stuff tastes awful.

I know some will say that I'm worrying too much about sodium, since I try to get a little sweat on 4 or 5 times per week (I'm doing C25K, and a few kettlebell videos on FitnessBlender), plus I drink a TON of water, but I still get worried about taking care of my heart.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about sodium, cut down on processed foods. I usually eat less then 1200mg of sodium a day because I eat a mostly plant based diet. My sodium comes from bread and boca burgers lol.
  • LloydJensen
    LloydJensen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My pantry/fridge is now stocked with these ALL the time.....

No salt added Kraft Peanut Butter
    No salt or sugar added Green Giant canned corn
    No salt added Hunt's tomato sauce and paste
    Almost all fresh veggies
    No salt added Campbell's chicken and beef broth
    Reduced sodium Heinz Ketchup
    Low sodium canned salmon and tuna
    Oatmeal

Between these and portion control of the higher sodium foods I can keep my sodium below 1500mg and occasionally below a thousand. My BP has gone from 145ish/93ish down to 118/79 (losing 20 or so pounds also helps)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to do a lot of whole food cooking at home to keep sodium at bay. Start using low sodium salt too at home. Certain meats I think you can soak in plain water for a bit to reduce the sodium content of frozen meats. They put some sort of brine glaze on it to prevent freezer burn.
  • Shonjikari
    Options
    I tend to have the opposite problem. I was getting headaches and I -think- it was from lack of sodium. I was also feeling dehydrated, even though I drink quite a bit of water. I keep trying to find ways to get more sodium into my diet. <_<

Oh my gosh me too!! I have extremely low blood pressure to the point I occasionally black out and get really bad painful head rushes from turning my head too fast. Lack of sodium and low blood pressure can definitely be a cause of that.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to get enough sodium without retaining a lot of water weight. u_u; I'm like you. I chug down water like no tomorrow (like 90-100oz a day) and I still feel extremely dehydrated and light headed.