21 yr- Female: Goal Join Air Force by August 2014

Options
Hello Everybody,

My name is Felicia and I am currently an undergraduate at Boston College. I studied abroad this past year and experienced a total transformation in my diet and exercise due to different standards. I lost 20 lbs and gained 5lbs back as soon as I returned to the U.S. this past May. Although I gained weight, I have managed to maintain it for the past month. Now, I am looking to find a community that will help me achieve my goal of reaching my height and weight requirement by this time next year. I want to join the Air Force and currently weigh 217lbs. For my height and age I should be 120lbs. I exercise 3-5x per week combining activities such as running, walking, hiking, Zumba, cycling, resistance training and floor exercises. BUT, I AM STUCK! I have modified my diet and do not eat sweets, processed foods or condiments. I drink more than 60 ounces of water daily and take a daily multivitamin for women. I would love support and advice on improving my exercise routine and eating habits to kick-start my weight loss again.

Replies

• r0gu3
    r0gu3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Same here! But Im shooting for a little sooner if possible. December.
    Wanting to add any peeps who are out there on the same mission!
  • 1917Ashley
    1917Ashley Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little late, but I am also losing weight for the Air Force! Good luck!!
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck ladies, but make sure you realize the road you're putting yourself on. I retired from the AF a year ago so I know first hand the struggle of being overweight and under the pressure of passing a PT test every six months. The AF is cracking down on PT failures and kicking folks out who cannot maintain standards. So be sure when you lose your weight, that it is something you can maintain and a lifestyle that you plan on sticking to. If you have any questions on what the standards are, let me know. :smile:
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi there:
    I was in the Air Force for 24 years. Sending my good wishes for your success. Here's a few things that I need you to know as you start your journey.
    Losing weight to join is only the first step. Many people that I've known have had to lose weight and have done so. They did a good job of maintaining through basic or officer's training. But I've seen only a bare handful of people continue to maintain once they were at their first assignment. They ate at the chow hall, partied with the folks in the dorm, stopped exercising and ended up gaining, gaining, and gaining.
    Then things get ugly.
    They are put on the Air Force weight management program. This is usually a very adverse experience for most. Your supervisor and commander is directly involved. Along the way, there may be letters of counseling/reprimand. Your buddies will probably help at the beginning, but those who continually fail the program fall out of favor rather quickly. Ultimately, with repeated program failures, there is dismissal from the AF. Failure is based on both weight and fitness (which includes a run, sit-ups and push-ups, as well as waist measurement). You won't be cut any slack. Allowances are not made for medical conditions--those are barriers to enlistment, as well as grounds for separation.

So, starting right NOW, you must decide that this is going to be a lifetime deal, not just to "make weight" on the recruiter's scales. There is no other way.
    You must be 100% committed, 100% of the time...for the duration of your Air Force career.
    Is it "fair"? No, probably not But those are club rules and you must know them going in or you will set yourself up for a great deal of unhappiness.

I speak from experience. I was in the "fat boys" program for about a year while I was on active duty. Humiliating doesn't even begin to cover it And things have only gotten tougher with the emphasis on mobility, mobility, mobility.

The most important thing is --Don't do anything crazy to lose weight. Any changes you make MUST be sustainable and integrated into a total lifestyle The basics of eating less calories than you take in, tolerating slow but steady progress, and doing a reasonable amount of cardio and strength training will carry you far. Log everything, every day. That is so important.

I can tell you that the personal sacrifices you make every day will be totally worth it.

I know this has been blunt, but I honestly don't want to see another person who barely makes weight to join, only to find difficulty and disappointment down the road.

Best of luck!
  • momof3b2g
    momof3b2g Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I lost 30 lbs and kept if off for over a year.... until just recently. I put 10 lbs on in the last 2 months by simply not working out and eating whatever I wanted. I'm ready to get back on track! Trying to reach a new goal by my 33rd birthday in March. Anyone else at there in the same boat looking for accountability and support feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can second what Lora said about the recent increase on kicking people out who fail their PT tests. It's not that they are unreasonably hard (that's not to mean they aren't challenging, just doable), but you can tell which people slack off for 5 months and crash diet the month their test is due. They stress them out which shows at work, and when they come up short they face disciplinary actions.

Learning to maintain a healthy diet and fitness regimen is really all it takes though. Good luck to you all any anybody who want's to join the greatest military in the world!