Fat and miserable

Options
I am here to lose a significant amount of weight. I am at my wits end, I am unhappy with my weight but i still keep shoveling food down my throat. I hate working out and I find every excuse to not do it, I need help staying motivated. notice how I didn't say how much i weigh or how much i need to lose, I am embarrass that i am this big. I am ready for a change...

Replies

• acb2144
    Options
    It seems like you're taking a step in the right direction. That you're here and sharing seems like you've already made a decision toward change.
    I'm new to the board, too; I started just a week and a half ago. I made a decision to change my experience of each day. One thing that's helping me is a very simple mantra: Whatever seems difficult, rename it-- tell yourself that it's easy.
    Working out when you're tired: oh, that's easy. I know it sounds a little ridiculous, but renaming things and changing my attitude toward them has saved me from falling apart in the last few weeks more times than I can count.
    Best of luck.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm sorry that you're miserable. It's an awful thing to feel uncomfortable with your body. I hope you find that you've come to the right place. If you want to add me as a friend, I can encourage you every day to move forward with your weight loss journey :)

I know convincing yourself to work out is hard. Start simple. Go for a 10 minute walk around your block (Got a dog?). Dance around to your favorite song. I think you'll find once you start working out, that makes you feel better about yourself even than watching the numbers on the scale go down, because it hurts and you're sweating and you know you're doing a good thing for yourself. You just have to bridge that gap, which isn't easy!

Good luck and try not to be so down on yourself or your body - just take good care of it and acknowledge that you're making a positive change.
  • GaryRZ2020
    GaryRZ2020 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome sp37fv21,

I too am fat and miserable at about 500lbs. I started my diet at the end of Dec and I am sure I have lost some but going to get a scale soon to keep track of it. I found encouragement in the success stories here at MFP. Joining here is a good step.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It took me getting out of the shower one day; I was putting lotion on and caught a side view of myself and just about started crying. At this point I realized I had to do something for real this time. Before I really started having health issues.
    So don't be ashamed! We (most) have a story on our we got here.
  • J3nnyBeanz
    J3nnyBeanz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been in your place before, if you are eating just to eat there is a deeper reason for this. Aside from working on losing the weight you have to address the behavior of why you are doing what you are doing. Joining here is a great first step.. There is a great amount of support, success and it is a way for you to see in print what you are eating. The food journals have a spot to write notes, when you're just eating to eat, note for yourself what's going on at that time and it might be able to pin point what's going on with your eating habits. I'm down 72 pounds and have another 50 to go. I realized I was stress eating, I have gotten better at recognizing it, although I fall back into it every now and then. Good luck on your journey, with MFP you are never alone.
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Give yourself GIANT kudos for coming here and saying that!!! We have all been where you are..so this is the perfect place to be! And it IS doable! Just take it step by step, one day at a time. I try to tell myself I didn't gain it overnight, I won't lose it overnight. Keep coming back here and everyone will be here to help you!! :smile:
  • celesteoglesby
    Options
    We all start somewhere. I will encourage you daily if you want to add me. You took the GIANT first step in deciding to do something. Hang in there.
  • Kdrules
    Kdrules Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am in the same boat. We can encourage each other. I a, in my fourties and have health issues. I need to get this off once and for good
  • gingermim
    gingermim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I too am fairly new (again) to this site...I tried it before and had some success but then fell off the wagon and my weight went higher than when I first started. Now I am on day 16 of MFP and have put down everything I have eaten and drank. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and going to buy clothes is sheer torture. Exercise is a four letter word in my vocabulary and when it is cold outside to try to even motivate myself to go for a walk with my wee dog is just not happening. I have been shovelling snow though so that is helpful. Add me and perhaps we will be able to motivate each other to keep trying and to take one more step in the right direction. WE CAN DO THIS!
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can do this; EAT LESS, MOVE MORE - it's as simple as that.

Read all the success stories for motivation, they truly are inspiring.

I personally plan out what I will eat ahead of time so as not to overeat.
    If you have a bad day let it go, and begin fresh the next day. Every day
    is a chance to do it right.

Take baby steps towards your goals and soon you will be running.
    It's a mind over matter thing in the end. If you really want this it's
    yours. If you need help, get it. It's your life, take charge of it. You
    won't be sorry. Once you start having success and seeing results
    you will start to enjoy the process. Looking and feeling better in
    so many ways. Just do it!!
  • cgreenaway93
    Options
    Weight loss is incredibly frustrating!!!
    If you want, you could add me - I really am in need of motivation and support as well :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    After my youngest was born 16 months ago, I just kept gaining after I had him!! I had to be real with myself! ! I knew the weight wasnt going to fall off like it did with my first. It started off slow and it was hard. My old ways kept telling me to restrict, over exercise, burn out, binge and quit. I decided I would set my goal to 1 pound a week, eat to my calorie goal, exercise 30 min most days including strength training and cardio of some sort and not stop. I knew there would be bad days but I wasnt going to let myself stop. After awhile the cravings arent as strong and the self control becomes easier! !! You will do it!!! Just dont give up!!
  • MaryIsabel55
    Options
    I like what ottersandseal said. Start small (with exercise). Just a few minutes. Dance. Have fun. I often think that every time I'm doing something, I'm not eating. So even if it's not strenuous, it's the right direction.
    Don't hate yourself. Love yourself enough to take care of your body. You have one body. Treat it well. It feels so much better. And have something good to repeat to yourself. Often--always. It could be "just for today, I will do this", then say it often and wake up in the morning saying it. Or perhaps you might say "God loves me and He can help me". Find a line that works for you.
    Whatever you feel about yourself at this moment does not need to define you!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can make a change. It doesn't have to stay this way.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Congrats on changing your life. I fell down the stairs about 18 months ago and had complications and slow healing due to my weight. I decided then that I HAD to change my life. This is a great place to start. Take small steps - begin logging your food or begin walking 10 minutes daily, etc. I'm down about 80 lbs and would like to lose another 40 lbs or so. I joined a gym and was only able to walk about 10-15 minutes before I was exhausted and almost a year later I can easily spend 1 hour on the elliptical or treadmill. Most important tip I can give you -don't give up if you have a bad day (eat too much, etc) just start fresh the next day. You can do this! Good luck on your new Healthy Life! :)
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    Please don't think your too heavy to change your life! YOU CAN DO THIS! But you have to remember that there is NOT a quick fix! You take step by step by step. One day at a time! Keep in your mind what you want to look like in a year, because that year is going to go by whether or not you do decide to change your life. It is ultimately YOUR choice! Put yourself notes on the fridge, mirrors, etc.. saying I WANT CHANGE!!! Take a picture of yourself and hang it somewhere so you can see it everyday! That will be your 'before' pic! Oh.. This is VERY important to remember! You will make mistakes during your life change! COUNT ON IT, but brush yourself off and move on!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    your having this from a whole list of people who probably felt the same as you one time or another but are choosing to do something about it..you can to good luck to you
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Today is day one of a new, wonderful lifestyle! Congrats! Take it slow at first. Learn and change something everyday. Don't over do from exuberance because you will need to relearn everything you thought about food, your body and your potential. :drinker:
  • Sharleeneet
    Sharleeneet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One year and 9 days ago I started on "My Life, Part 2" and made a decision to lose 120 lbs. I weighed in at 280 and have lost 80 so far. Still working on that last 40 and I know I will get there. How did i do it? I log every thing I eat every day no matter what. If I chose to eat ice cream so be it, I just log it and keep going. I never stop writing down what I eat -- this application (MFP) is fantastic. I record a note about the day whether it was good or bad. I quit drinking for a long time, I just didn't need those calories. I surrounded myself with people who understood what I was doing and who would support me - not undermine my efforts. The people who offered me candy, sweets, cookies, etc I just don't hang with as much. I focus on tiny goals -- always actionable and not results oriented. So for example, my goal s are:
    Eat 1200 calories every day -- I try to hit that number, sometimes I miss!
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water
    Record every morsel of food in MyFitnessPal
    Walk at least 5,000 steps per day
    These goals are action oriented -- I have to do something. I don't have a goal of "lose 5 pounds by Tuesday" because that doesn't work for me.
    Reading these posts when I get to feeling down or discouraged helps a bunch! These people are honest about their struggles, successes and failures. Tap into this community!!

YOU CAN DO IT! ONE MEAL AT A TIME, ONE CHOICE AT A TIME -- YOU CAN DO IT!!
    Good luck!
  • heatherinparadise
    Options
    You've already gotten such great advice and encouragement from all those wonderful MFP members, so I would just like to add one little thing that has made a massive difference in my own life. Please be gentle with yourself and try not to be so harsh/hard on yourself or say nasty things to yourself. Would you say such things to one of your dear friends if they came to you, struggling with their sadness and feeling miserable? Of course not, you would be a good friend, say kind and loving things, and encourage them. Please try to treat yourself like your best friend. You are worth it! Good luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. <3