Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to MFP and losing weight; Any advice?

Hi all, So I have used MFP in the past but decided to switch over to ww. I found that I really became uninterested in it and it was harder for me. I feel that this app has more freedom It's more detailed and I wasn't really seeing success with ww. I love this app but my one question is, Since I am new to losing weight, I can consume 1200 calories a day. I've been doing jillian Michaels 30 day shred 3 days a week and 2 days on the elliptical for 20 minutes. Can anyone tell me if this is enough? Also, I've been struggling a little so I've eaten my calories and maybe 80-100 over and the exercise I achieve is maybe 250-300 calories a day burned. Do I need to eat 1200 calories and then in addition have a defieciency when I work out? For instance, I consume the calories, then after exercising I am at say 1050 instead of making up for when I eat too much? I hope this makes sense? I'm stressing out a bit. I am 5ft exactly I've lost 3 pounds so far and now I'm 153. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank yo

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Your exercise plan is fine.
    When you're comfortable and get into a groove, I suggest lifting. Youll achieve a greater transformation and look lile you dropped 20 lbs but in reality it was 7lbs you lost. Youll gain strength and confidence. Your posture will improve. And itll be great. Youll increase your lean mass and be able to eat more.

As for calories, 1200 might be too low and/or too aggressive for you. What weight loss goal did you enter? And how many pounds do you want to lose
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Exercise plan seems OK if you stick to it. For exercise you really want to find something you actually enjoy. Strength training will help you retain (not build) muscle mass as you lose weight, and muscle mass is where "tone" and shape and firmness comes from. Workout DVDs are not really very fun in general. Try to find a sport or activity you enjoy.

As for eating, 1200 is probably a fine target. I would recommend you eat back about 50% of your exercise calories at that target.

Trust the process. Weigh your food and consistently hit your calorie target and you will succeed. If you fall behind on the exercise that's fine... but don't fall behind on the eating. The calorie target is your priority. Hitting the calorie target is how you lose weight. Exercise is good, but the calorie target determines whether you lose weight or stall.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Jonny is right. I meant retain. Not increase in reference to lean mass.

I should just go to bed but I cant freaking sleep lol
  • jonnythan
    Jonny is right. I meant retain. Not increase in reference to lean mass.

I should just go to bed but I cant freaking sleep lol

Well you're wearing a tutu and clearly rather excited. Try to have some quiet time before bed to fall asleep faster.
  • gracebridges90
    gracebridges90 Posts: 39 Member
    Ok, Awesome Thank you!!
  • gracebridges90
    gracebridges90 Posts: 39 Member
    Oh yeah and one more thing, since doing the 30 day shred all my muscles hurt I make sure to stretch before and after but it's to the point that walking down the steps is excruciating. I've just been massaging the sore muscles and its been ok after a day or so but could you tell me if this will go away eventually? I want to be able to exercise and when you're this sore it's almost impossible..
  • jonnythan
    Oh yeah and one more thing, since doing the 30 day shred all my muscles hurt I make sure to stretch before and after but it's to the point that walking down the steps is excruciating. I've just been massaging the sore muscles and its been ok after a day or so but could you tell me if this will go away eventually? I want to be able to exercise and when you're this sore it's almost impossible..

That soreness is called DOMS; delayed onset muscle soreness. You will stop getting it over time, and you may eventually miss it.

It's not dangerous. High protein intake and proper stretching/foam rolling/massaging may help lessen it a little bit. General suggestion is to work through it to the extent that it doesn't bother you too much. I generally find that the soreness fades into the background while actually working out. A good warmup before starting the actual workout helps as well.
  • megsasb
    megsasb Posts: 29 Member
    The soreness will go away and with any of her routines I feel that way the first few days.. I refer to it as the JM waddle.. :-)
  • Water water water water! The more you drink the better. Your exercise plan sounds good and realistic.