So I hate the gym..

Options
Back in the day I'd go to the gym every day for 1-2 hours and work my butt off. I was 5'5" and weighed 125 to 130 lbs. I looked fab. I don't remember despising the gym like I do now. I find myself much more motivated to do a Fitness Blender workout, walk on my treadmill at home, walk at lunch during work, or find a free online video. I have some free weights at home and a small bench. I also have the Bowflex Select Tech (my husband's) in case I get super strong - they're the larger ones.

I've gone to the gym twice recently and immediately wanted to leave. It's crowded and men were moaning loudly and girls in booty shorts were bending over and checking themselves out in the mirror... It's just not my scene.

I am going to try to get fit without the gym. Who needs a gym??

Who else lost weight and got fit without a gym? Any tips or advice?

Replies

• stahlight
    Options
    I get so bored at the gym mostly. Endless cardio it seems haha! Try taking up sports like volleyball and so on. Running. Mix it up. I also hate the gym because it generally stinks (especially the dude-room after the 6pm rush... yeech!) So softball leagues, basketball games... Theres usually a lot of sports around that can be fun exercise.

Also speaking of girls in booty shorts... where's your gym? Sounds like my scene ;)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight without stepping foot in a gym. If it works for you, save the money and workout at home. :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If the only goal is to lose weight, you can do that by diet alone with no exercise.

But if you like home workouts, then keep at it. You don't have to join a gym to be fit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I need a gym because I have no space in my home for a power rack or olympic floor. Barring that, I ride my bike and such outside....but I kinda need the gym for that stuff. I don't think your husband's bo-flex is going to quite cut it for me.
  • osuzorba
    osuzorba Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Different gyms have different atmospheres, even right down the street from each other. So it might be worth checking out another one in the area. Planet Fitness can be pretty good for people new to the gym scene and don't want a lot of body builders and booty shorts around.

I also have never been good about going to the gym when my goal was just going to gym or look better. So my wife and I took up hiking, then extreme hiking, so I go to the gym so I don't die on the side of a mountain or have to get coptered out of some place.

You also absolutely don't need a gym. I do a lot of workout outside when it's not winter time. And I know a lot of people that enjoy working out at home, just not my thing.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    Try doing crossfit or get into a martial art. You'll be getting fit, having fun, and making friends.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I only recently joined a gym on my husbands encouragement. I have been saying the whole time I don't need a gym but frankly at this point I just need the weights and machines and we don't have room for them at home so my husband was like just suck it up and go to the gym, amy. I had done just fine with walking the neighborhood, the walking trails or my fav: the bridge. I do tae bo and yoga videos and even picked up some resistance bands for home. I feel that as long as you are exercising then it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it. You should love what you do. I suggest you try another gym when you are ready to go. Not all gyms are like that.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym but there's really only one piece of equipment that I use: Get a barbell with some plates. Technically it's all you need. Ideally then you also have a Bench and Rack.

Several times I've been very tempted to just do this at home, but I actually like the gym. I like seeing other people at different stages of progress and I like the flexibility that the gym has to offer. Sometimes I may want to use a piece of equipment that is just too expensive to own.

But a barbell with some plates and a few extras is more than enough. You only ever need to do squats, deadlifts, benching, overhead press and bent over rows. Everything else is your choice but is pretty unnecessary. Those of the essentials, and nobody needs a gym for those. And the equipment to do those five exercises can be gotten for real cheap.
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like you. I used to love the gym. I was one of those 90 min - 2 hours at the gym sort. But when I re-joined the same gym last year, I couldn't stand it. I got really tired of all the young guys in the free weight area grunting, leaving weights strewn about, just generally being inconsiderate. And the girls weren't always much better.

I think it's part of getting older. I'm slowly adding equipment at home and turning an extra bedroom into my gym space. I'm much happier. And once the weather warms up and I can do more workouts outside, I'll be happier still
  • Ispineveryday
    Options
    I had the same problem. I was a member of my local YMCA the aerobics classes were either too easy or too hard the fitness room was too small and over crowded. I quit my YMCA and created a make shift gym in my basement. A spinning bike a DVD player a small TV some fitness DVD s and a few weights was all I needed. Meanwhile I shopped around until I found a better gym and now I do both. The big plus about my new gym? The spinning bikes are out in the fitness room anyone can use them at anytime!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hello I can so totally relate! :) Like you, I used to be a gym rat. I could not imagine working out anywhere else...there was a kind of vibe in the gym that got me going (mostly weight, pathetic on cardio).

Then I stopped going. For YEARS. Had 2 memberships at one time...money down the drain. Just lost that connection. Totally abandoned exercises in fact. About 3 years ago, decided to sign up for Pilates. And then TRX at the same studio. Then UGI ball. Then more bodyweight training. Then onto Jillian Michaels, PX90 etc.......and discovered that I am definitely a home-workout person.

1. HIIT, Tabata, TRX etc are way more enjoyable cardio than treadmills or elliptical. I hated those machines so never really did cardio. Now I have plenty of ways to work on my cardio...never bored! Amazed at what my body can do, really.

2. As I learned weight lifting 20 years ago, the trend has changed a lot. Previously, gym was the only place you could go, more or less. Now the home workout (fitness blender is one of my fave too), HIIT for 30 mins....all about efficiency AND effectiveness. The 3 hours I used to spend in the gym....looking back, very little gains. Now I can see quick and solid results without wasting 2 hours in the gym.

3. One big discovery - fitnessblender, JM (DVD and online sub), DVDs, Youtube freebies, Bodyrocker etc....all give me an opportunity to experiment. It is safe to say that for the first time in my life I WANT to exercise because it is FUN. Previously, though I did a lot in the gym, it was a chore, not an enjoyment. Huge difference!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Oh, I started a thread asking others for sites/apps similar to Fitness Blender. You may want to check it out, some good suggestions there (please add yours!)

off the top of my head
    - WarriorZ (zuzkalight...previously bodyrocker)
    - XFit
    - Real Fit

I subscribe to Jillian Michale's online customized circuit training.

For my homegym, I kind of invested in stuff here and there. Now I have all kinds of weights, bands, bars, etc....different DVDs (some I don't like such as Turbo fire, some I keep going back to, like JM).

Just invested in a Pilate Reformer as well. Pretty hard core :)
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I totally read my nook the entire time on the elliptical at the gym-so I can kindof not pay as much attention to the fact that I am at the gym so I get it!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Havent used a gym for years. Running (in the street, not on a treadmill) is the best way in terms of calorie loss.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm getting Focus T25. Some may not believe in it but I'm going to give it a try anyway. :)
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options
    I'd say try another gym, mines pretty chilled and friendly but the music sometimes is ****e. Oh yeah and definitely no girls bending over :(
  • coastalfit
    coastalfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. I used to work at a gym and I also paid to workout at another gym for several years. I almost feel burned out from the environment. I now workout at home using a stationary bike, light weights, a mat, and self-discipline. It's very difficult, but so far, I've been forcing myself to workout after I get home from work, which might be very late at night. Pulling together support from a forum like this can always help!
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think as long as attaining your goals and you have motivational support from family and friends is so important. Only 10% of the population workout. Keep up the great work. My gym that I own we only have 5% men.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love the gym!!

My gym is always crowded, It doesn't bother me. I never pay any attention to what people are doing or what noises they are making. I get in and out an about an Hour. I know exactly what I'm targeting and know my other options if the dumbbells or machines are taken.

But if you have workout equipement at home, then do IT!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Move to Michigan, I've been getting a pretty good workout all winter just by shoveling snow (sarcasm).

But seriously, I don't love the gym, but I don't feel like I can get a good strength workout in without it. I love the squat rack and the bench press.

I just try to use everything I have at my disposal so I don't get bored and keep my muscles confused. In the winter I do a workout DVD like P90x or Insanity at home, shovel snow, snowboard, occasionally go to the gym, or just lift weights at home. In the summer I run outside, tend the garden, occasionally go to the gym, ride my bike, etc.