The End of the journey...or just the begin?

Options
Today, I had my last appointment with my surgeon. It has been 7 very long and very painful weeks of recovering from my double knee replacement surgery. I am not entirely pain free, but I am past the worst of it.

My surgeon was smiling from ear to ear as he flexed by knees. He told me that he was truly impressed with my great range of motion, far beyond where he thought that I would be. I guess that most of his older patients don't work as hard to get their knees back to moving, stretching and flexing. I knew that I had to keep flexible, or I would end up with scar tissue in the knees and maybe even a permanent limp...not something that I wanted.

Seven weeks is a long time, but it is nothing compared to the 14 months of calorie counting that helped me to shed 100+ pounds. So many of you have been following my weight loss journey which began at Thanksgiving in 1912, when I finally realized that I had to at least try to lose 70 pounds and get my life back.

During all of those months, my goal was to get my knee replacement surgery; but the real goal was to end my wheelchair bound life style. Ed rolled me into my surgeon's appointment today in my wheelchair. Then, I stood up and walked directly to my doctor, showing him that my wheelchair really is a thing of the past.

The best news of this day was, when my surgeon said, "No more physical therapy"; and I can sign up with the In Shape Health Center, because Dr. Moore said I am ready to return to swimming laps. Hallelujah!

Tomorrow, I will be celebrating my 69th birthday. Tomorrow, my hubbie is taking me to lunch at Red Lobster; and tomorrow, I want to sign up for my gym membership and maybe even go for a swim in afternoon.

Yes, the journey to my new knees and freedom from my wheelchair was long. Now, I can begin the new journey to an even smaller me who will be able to swim, walk, run, ride a bike or any other thing that I might want to do. I want to thank all of you who came along for the first journey. You made every day better for me with your love and encouragement.

Where are you in your journey?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yay! Awesome news!:drinker:
  • turtlebeach
    turtlebeach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best news I've heard "all" day. Congrat's.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thrilled for you. . You are one amazing and inspirational lady.:flowerforyou:
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That's excellent news!!! :D I've read a few of your posts before so it's very exciting that this day is finally here! You should be very pleased with how far you have come :) Hope you enjoy those knees for many more years; swim, dance, whatever makes you happy :)
  • averyrose3
    Options
    Happy Birthday and way to go!! What an inspiration u r! I am just getting started and so afraid of failing once again. I went the whole gambit and joined the gym and got 24 sessions with a very sweet and supportive trainer and am keeping a diary and have already learned a few things about foods I thought were ok but r so not! One day at a time.
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! congrats on all your hard work paying off! You truly have earned it!
  • PReiss828
    PReiss828 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Soooo excited and happy for you...you most certainly worked VERY hard for it. Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow, enjoy Red Lobster (let the diet go on hiatus for the day) and let Special Ed spoil you silly!!!
    Can't wait to "tag along" on this next phase of your journey!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!!! I am so happy to hear your fantastic news!! Woo hoo, you get to go back to the pool!!! What is on your Red Lobster menu for tomorrow?? I have been looking at the menu and coveting eating there since you started talking about it!!!

Have a wonderful birthday celebration!!! Happy 69th birthday!!! I love that Ed wheeled you in to your appointment, that's fantastic!!!!
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Awesome...congrats! :drinker:
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Congrats!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My mom's impending knee replacements and the weight making them worse was one of my motivations to start my journey. She's having her first surgery next month, and hopefully after both are done I can convince her to either join me at the gym or take a few walks with me.
  • wisebuys
    wisebuys Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So happy for you !!! Enjoy your rebirth !!! You worked hard for it and deserve it.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So happy for you that things have worked out so well. Enjoy your swim, your luch and your new life. By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A FANTASTIC WOMEN:drinker:
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I hope Ed shined up his dancing shoes so he can keep up with your happy dance! You certainly earned your great news! Hip hip hooray, or knee knee hooray as the case may be. lol So happy for you. Happy birthday!
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh Sue that is such great news. You have been a huge inspiration to me and I'm so glad I could follow your progress while working towards my own goals. I read one of your posts back when I started over 50 pounds ago and new you were a warrior in a wheelchair. You’ve gone through some really tough battles all while keeping your chin up and doing your best. It has been an honor to be your friend!!!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    WOW! It has been one long journey, but it has not ended. All I can say is congratulations to a beautiful young lady! Happy 69th! And what a celebration you have to celebrate with the man you love at your side. This will be a birthday you will recall for a long, long time. I'm so happy for you and Mr. Special Ed! What doors will open for both of you...who knows...but they will be bright and cheery ones for of a wonderful future...all for you to enjoy! I'm excited that you are able to get back to things you love, like your swimming and I'm sure you will rediscover more things that you use to enjoy doing as you go and some things you find that are new. I applaud you for all the hard work, dedication, inspiration & encouragement you have been to me and countless other people who you have touch with you life stories of then and now and everything in between! I will never forget you and plan on following your new posts and updates on your progress of maintaining what you have worked so hard to achieve. Thank you for being my friend! God bless you girlfriend, what a testimony! What glory you bring to God through your life! And give Special Ed a great big hug for his love and the beautiful way he is and has been taking care of you. Which I'm sure you do everyday, but give him an extra big one for me. He is a keeper! lol! I love how God puts people in our lives for a life time that help us become the people we are today! Now go out there and enjoy your new knees, your new life and your 69th birthday!
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I had lost about 50 lbs when I had a bad car wreck. I too, have been confined to a wheelchair due to 2 broken legs and a broken foot. I can now walk on my right leg, but still no wt bearing on the left. I have a long journey of physical therapy and trying to bend these old knees again. I have continued to lose wt due to no appetite. but I am trying to eat enough for good bone healing. Good luck to you! you have done great!
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Seven weeks is a long time, but it is nothing compared to the 14 months of calorie counting that helped me to shed 100+ pounds. So many of you have been following my weight loss journey which began at Thanksgiving in 1912, when I finally realized that I had to at least try to lose 70 pounds and get my life back.

Thanksgiving in 1912 eh? Sue, you are amazing and I think it's lovely that you have used 69 as the new 29 since my calculation would put you at 102.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Awesome story and very encouraging
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!