Why haven't I lost any weight if

Options
when I finish logging my days food it says if everyday were like today you would weigh xx amount? well I have been doing this for longer than 5 weeks and haven't lost anything!

Replies

• eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    That's only a projected weight loss so I would not rely too much on it! You have to look at your consumption vs expenditure, fat vs muscle ratio etc. If you are tracking properly and are at a reasonable deficit, you should see some loss.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    Well I can't see your food diary, but I am going to make some assumptions and present them to you in the form of questions:

1. Do you weigh your solid food and measure all liquids you consume?
    2. Do you accurately log every calorie you consume?
    3. Are you assuming some foods "don't count"?
  • NancieFeatherston
    NancieFeatherston Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Could be anything... even stress from not enough sleep, not enough calories, or not enough exercise, not consistent with anything? Just hang in there and keep going at it. We all learn along the way with this weight loss stuff. You are here and trying and eventually the weight will have it move. I actually ended up calling a local nutritional store and told her I needed to loose a lot of weight and wondered if they had any ideas... they had a lot of great ideas. Just keep at it... the rewards will come!
  • darkangelz
    Options
    I will make my diary public... and yes I weigh and log everything! I was wondering if it could be due to lack of sleep, I work nights and average 3hrs sleep a day or maybe the medication I'm on although none specifies weight gain in the side affects.... that I'm aware of anyway, but I did start putting on weight after having a heart attack which was also about the time I started working night shift.....
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    sleep could very well play a role.. but I don't think it would stop it only slow it down. are you eating enough?

had to edit 3 times damn auto correct
  • darkangelz
    Options
    I think I eat enough, well I'm never starving and I have always eaten relatively healthy my one vice being alcohol but when i drink I don't eat and its only once or twice a year so hopefully that doesn't make too much difference
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything? One day there was only breakfast and dinner.
    And another day was missing.

Also 800 calories is far too low. You need to be eating at least 1200 calories.

I am 5'3", 150 pounds, and I eat 1850 calories a day, losing about 1 pound a week.

EDIT: Try using this to calculate your daily calorie intake: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    consult your doc if you suspect the meds he/she could tell you.

I hope things work out. just stick with it.

how do you feel otherwise. do you feel healthier?
  • professormudd1
    Options
    I only went back 2 weeks and there are several days where nothing is logged at all, and a day where only 45 calories (during breakfast) were logged. The rest of the days you are logging so little that it would stand to reason that your body is probably eating itself.

You can't really beat thermodynamics with calories in vs calories out. Sure you may retain water here and there, but if you are logging as accurately as you said you are, then your weight would be dropping dangerously fast. Dropping by way of losing muscle and other material.

I also noticed that there is no exercise being logged. I am not a cardiologist, but I imagine that light exercise and a more appropriate diet is something you would benefit from following a heart attack.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    because this site doesn't explain how you should do things to lose weight, you have to figure that out on your own.....
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes! Working nighshift WILL hinder your weightloss. I've been there! It wreaked havoc on my weightloss and I ended up gaining back almost everything I had lost. Having no good sleep stresses your body, which brings about the evil wretched villain we call cortisol. It keeps you from losing weight and can in fact make you gain weight. I have cushing's syndrome, so I know that little SOB can break it or make it for me if i stress too much. If you really want to lose weight, you will have to make the decision to work during the day and adjust to getting sleep during the night. Once you do adjust, the weight will melt off. :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You are not logging accurately or consistently.

Weigh everything possible. log everything consistently. Monitor trends. Adjust accordingly.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    when I finish logging my days food it says if everyday were like today you would weigh xx amount? well I have been doing this for longer than 5 weeks and haven't lost anything!

According to your food diary you're eating less than 1200 calories a day. Sometimes it's 800 cals a day, sometimes 600 & sometimes it's 1000 cals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

"Starvation response in animals is a set of adaptive biochemical and physiological changes that reduce metabolism in response to a lack of food"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response

I've been losing weight, look at my diary. I am female as well. Sometimes I am eating 2200 calories a day. It really depends upon how much exercise you do. You don't say you do exercise but it's really important & eating back a lot of the exercise cals helps.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you're diary is correct, then it looks like you're undereating to me. Undereating + lack of sleep would wreak havoc on your system. Try to eat 1200cal a day.

PS Aussie Aussie Aussie!!
  • 1991court
    1991court Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    By no means am I a diet doctor (couldn't even spell the word haha) but you sodium levels are really high I would try to cut back sodium. Sodium and cause you to retain water. Another thing is I would recommend you use more calories for breakfast and fewer for dinner, weird trick that worked for me in the beginning.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Log everything every day. Have more than coffee and milk for breakfast. (I bet it's the skipped days in the log that explain why no weight is coming off).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have not read the other replies but I have looked at your diary.

If you were truly eating as few calories as your diary shows you would be losing weight, and pretty darn fast. You logging is extremely spotty, and my guess is your calorie estimations are off and you are not logging every single thing you put into your mouth.

Weigh all solid food and measure all liquids. Here are some inconsistencies I found with measurements and weight, thus the measured foods renders more calories than the weighed food:

Package says about 10 chips equal one ounce. Nope, about 8 chips equal one ounce.

The Jar of Peanut butter says 2 tablespoons of peanut butter equals 32 grams. Not true. 2 tablespoons of PB weighs more than 32 grams.

Try weighing anything and the weight generally DOES NOT match the measurement.

Don't eyeball portions, either, because our eyeballs tends be inaccurate most of the time.

Make sure you log consistently and accurately. That means you log every single thing you put into your mouth.
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Jeanne130LBS Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    what is your daily calorie allowance? Do you enter everything that you eat and drink? I know until I started logging my food I was eating 3 times as many calories than I thought I was. Do not give up. can I ask how much you hope to lose?
  • Worthy2bFIT
    Worthy2bFIT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    it also depends on the type of food you are eating
    how many calories you are eating ..

it is not always about calories.
  • Worthy2bFIT
    Worthy2bFIT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes! Working nighshift WILL hinder your weightloss. I've been there! It wreaked havoc on my weightloss and I ended up gaining back almost everything I had lost. Having no good sleep stresses your body, which brings about the evil wretched villain we call cortisol. It keeps you from losing weight and can in fact make you gain weight. I have cushing's syndrome, so I know that little SOB can break it or make it for me if i stress too much. If you really want to lose weight, you will have to make the decision to work during the day and adjust to getting sleep during the night. Once you do adjust, the weight will melt off. :D

i have been working grave 3 1/2 years and i lost 110lbs..