Whats a healthy calorie intake

Options
Hey, Im 22 year old female at 5 2 at 166lbs, at 30% bf. I want to lose weight as fast as I can but I also want to be building healthy eating habits.

What is a healthy calorie intake for my body. If anyone can take a look at my food diary for the past few days and tell me if I am on the right track. Im new to this lifestyle, so Id love some advice on whats worked for you.

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hey, Im 22 year old female at 5 2 at 166lbs, at 30% bf. I want to lose weight as fast as I can but I also want to be building healthy eating habits.

What is a healthy calorie intake for my body. If anyone can take a look at my food diary for the past few days and tell me if I am on the right track. Im new to this lifestyle, so Id love some advice on whats worked for you.

Did you put your info into MFP, answering all questions honestly to the best of your knowledge, and let it set a goal for you? If yes then that's a reasonable and healthy goal for you. If no: Well you should do that.

Work out. Eat half of those calories back. Assess your weight loss and tweak up or down as needed.
  • maya166
    maya166 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh Ill try to change my diary now. And I did answer it. It said 1200 calories daily, based off no activity. But Ive decided to workout, and I wasnt sure if my net calories had to stay at 1200 or not.
  • maya166
    Options
    My diary is now open to the public.
  • maya166
    Options
    But I feel okay so far eating approx 800 calories a day, wouldn't it just speed up my weight loss process. Or should i definitely up my calorie intake
  • maya166
    Options
    Okay Ill eat more and try to get closer to my 1200 calorie intake. At 1200 calorie intake, do I have to eat back the calories I burn
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    With no exercise, to be healthy, eat somewhere between 1500 and 1800 calories a day.

This is the site I used for that calculation http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I am a 5'3" 150 pounds, exercise regularly, I currently eat 1850 calories a day, and am losing about 1 pound a week.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Okay Ill eat more and try to get closer to my 1200 calorie intake. At 1200 calorie intake, do I have to eat back the calories I burn

Yes, I would not go below 1200 net calories.

Try to eat at least 1500 gross calories.

gross = Total number of calories you ate
    net = gross minus exercise calories.

EDIT: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing This is a good article to read to see what might happen if you continue eating too little.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Use the IIFYM.com calculator to calculate how much you should be eating. With the IIFYM calculator you do not eat back your exercise calories. MFP tends to assign really low numbers. Oh, and 800 is WAY too low - you should never be eating so little!
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maya166
    Options
    Im not ignoring the advice. I appreciate it. I used to think that the lower my calorie intake the more Ill lose but my body needs a certain amount of calories to function. Thanks the tdee link was very helpful as well
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Im not ignoring the advice. I appreciate it. I used to think that the lower my calorie intake the more Ill lose but my body needs a certain amount of calories to function. Thanks the tdee link was very helpful as well

I am glad you found it helpful. Good luck with your future weight loss.

Set your calorie goal at a healthy level, and then send me a friend request if you like.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

There is no way you can get all your needed nutrients on such a low intake.
    Please eat more, you want to be more healthy and establish healthy eating habits, the weight will come off.
  • libertyfoye
    Options
    Hello there!

It's recommended that your energy need is 25-30 calories/kg of body weight. So converting your weight to kilograms, your daily energy need is about 1,875-2,250 calories. This a big range and if you are less active, it is on the lower end of that range.

Now, healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week. There are 3,500 calories in 1 lb (in terms of energy needed to "burn" that pound). So, if you want to lose 1 lb/wk, cut out 500 calories/day; or 1,000/day to lose 2 lbs/wk.

You can cut out those calories by diet AND exercise. DO NOT go below 1,200 net calories per day. Your body will go into starvation mode where it will conserve any calories you put in it rather than burn them. This will not be good in the long run and it will be more difficult to lose weight permanently.

You also need to make sure that your diet is varied and balanced to make sure that you are getting the nutrients your body needs in addition to the calories it uses.

Also, realize that even though exercise does burn calories, the main benefits are increased muscle strength, better lung capacity, lower resting heart rate (this is a good thing), and a better metabolism.

It will seem slow and agonizing at first, but even small losses in body weight can have significant positive health impacts and reduce your risk for weight-related diseases. You are changing a lifestyle and you have to ease your body into it so that the change will be safe, healthy, and long-lasting. :)

(I've taken an undergraduate-level nutrition course and am currently enrolled in a medical nutrition elective at my medical school. I have learned from wonderful, qualified registered dietitians who would say these exact same things)

Good luck! (and sorry for the novel)
  • maya166
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone