I can't seem to drink water at work!!

Options
I bring a bottle of water to work and then I get busy and totally forget to drink it. I'll drink some with lunch and then forget it again. So I'm drinking roughly 8 ounces of water between 7:30 and 5:00. I don't feel thirsty. I just don't think about it. So when I get home I remember and start trying to make up for it and then I pee 1,000 times.

How can I remember to sip on the water during the day? It's right there in front of my face!!

Replies

• cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem... would love to hear anyone's creative solutions!

one thing you could do is set a glass in front of you, and set some kind of timer... every two hours an alarm that reminds you to finish the cup?
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    There's apps for that! I can't recommend one as I drink heaps of water so I don't need it, but I know other people have used apps successfully :smile: I think one even has a little plant that grows as you log your water intake, so it encourages you to drink more. Or something!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    If I were to just sip on water, I would never drink enough. I chug 20 ounces at a time, and then only sip intermittently when thirsty. I start.by drinking 20 oz in bed when I wake up, then another between breakfast and lunch, then two in the afternoon, and another before bed. I probably drink too much water BC it is always over 100 ounces. The easy way for me is to drink it at specific times, like while I'm cooking dinner I know it is time to drink my water. If that doesn't work for you, you can do an alarm app, but I would just hit the snooze and forget it anyway. Maybe you could drink water upon waking, once you sit down at your desk in the morning, right before leaving for lunch, just after returning from lunch, when you are getting ready to leave for the day, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I brought a couple bottles of whisky to work, totally forgot to drink them.

although tonight I had some pappy van winkle
  • kareit
    kareit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with a couple of the other commenters. Setting an alarm for yourself could work great. Maybe once every hour for a few ounces, or less often if you can chug more at one time.

Working it into a routine would be great also. Drinking a bottle as soon as you get to your desk, as you're settling in for the day. Drink another a half-hour before lunch (which is a good thing anyway), try to drink another 8oz with lunch, and then another serving before the day is done.

And make it easier for yourself. For me, I know that I'll drink more water if I can keep it's ice cold, so I'm investing in a Hydroflask bottle (one of those ones that can keep things hot/cold for hours on end). Crystal Light works for me, too (both for upping my water intake and as a substitute after giving up soda at the beginning of the new year). It can be harder to forget to drink something more fun and flavorful like Crystal Light.