Running/light jog.. will it help me lose weight?

Options
Okay So i haven't been on here in a while because of personal issues i've been going through but since i've been back at school i've been working out pretty much everyday give or take one or two days a week here and there. (i've been back at school for about 3 weeks now) and i've also been eating much healthier, not tracking it but i could tell you that my breakfast is either yogurt, organic waffles, orange juice, a smoothie or something, lunch i have a slimfast and a luna bar depending on if i'm in class, and dinner i've had chicken, salmon, rice, and vegetables. So i've been eating pretty well. BUT i haven't lost anything, in fact.. i've gained a few pounds. is that because i'm going to gain muscle or something before i lose weight? I've been doing a light jog for about 5 - 10 minutes and then i walk the rest of the time until i get to 30 minutes. sometimes i even go back a second time to the gym and walk an hour. i've been lifting weights but doing a light weight and lots of reps. I just want to know if i continue to jog and walk will that help me lose weight? or tone up? why am i staying the same weight? :( thank you

Replies

• amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In my experience I did the Couch to 5 K program and I recommend it. I have lost the weight by running this way and staying under my calories... it builds endurance and is very doable!
  • rianne04
    Options
    Everyone is different but I'm not exactly sure what you are doing differently that makes you only maintain your weight. Maybe try logging in your meals? Maybe when you see how much you really are consuming you can adjust and rethink your meals. Or maybe just give it time. Have you been measuring yourself? Maybe the results are not on the scale but you're losing inches and maybe gaining muscle? You are on the right track though! Eating healthy and exercising. I know when I started I only did an hour of walking a day and it still helped. Goodluck on your journey! :smile:
  • emilyjane52
    Options
    Aim to burn calaories not time. I burn atleast 250 calories each gym sesh and about not losing weight the same thing happened to me. Iv been logging meals and going to gym for 5 weeks and its only this week i have noticed weight coming off but i had cms come off in the first 2-3 weeks and weighed heavier which was just muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Its a journey and it takes time so burn calories dont look at how long you have been on the tredmill for and logg your meals properly!

:) Good Luck!!
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I definitely recommend logging your food, even if you're eating healthy. I know one of my problems in the past, was thinking I knew exactly what I was eating, but after I started logging, it was actually more than I thought. I would also nibble a little here, nibble a little there, thinking "oh, this doesn't really count because it's just a few chips", but even the little things add up. I am not saying you are nibbling like I was, though - just throwing out my experience. :)

I would also log exercise, too, if you aren't - that way you know a general idea of how much you're burning.

Also, if you're doing weight training, you will gain muscle weight. Do you feel as though you look and feel the same? When I started incorporating weights and resistance training, I weighed more than I felt I looked, but that is only because I was losing fat, but gaining muscle.
  • jennie0918
    jennie0918 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    hey i know that tracking would be a good idea for me.. as far as how i feel i feel like i'm in better shape, i don't see it on the scale yet but i feel better when i walk to class and other places and my knee isn't hurting as much and i started running which i haven't been able to do so i do feel better i just wish it showed on the scale
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You need to count your calories.

That's how it works.