I am SO confused!

Options
I am supposed to eat 1830calories a day to maintain my wieght.
So I now consume 1330 inorder to lose 1lb/week. But I also exercise 6 days a week and burn 550-600 calories on those 6 days. So total I have a deficit of about 1000calories a day total from diet and exercise.
Meaning my net calories consumed from food is about 600-800calories a day. Is that bad???
I don't want to go under the recommended 1200calories. I do eat the 1330calories required but after I subtract my exercise calories I'm down to 800. Should I eat my exercise calories back then or is what I'm doing okay??

Replies

• Knbrooks42
    Knbrooks42 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you need to eat those exercise calories too. My boyfriend has been helping me figure out my diet, and he always has me get as close as I can to 0 calories left (that's with 1200 base plus exercise calories added). Hope this is right and helps! Good luck!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I have had the same question. The question is are you being successful with your current strategy? Some people say to eat the exercise calories in order to lose (some of the calories, not all. maybe 50% of them). Others never dip into their exercise calories and have consistently lost weight. If its working, I say don't change it. I've mostly tried to steer away from eating my exercise calories, and I've lost an average of 1 to 2 pounds per week when my eating has been in check.
  • TTcarey
    TTcarey Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I never dip into my exercise calories... 34lbs down! just a thought..
    Do you feel okay?
    watch out for hair loss..
    Treat yourself once a week with the extra exercise calories for that day!
    take a great multivitamin.... I started with too few calories and noticed the hair "shedding" really fast... scary... very scary
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    from what i have read on here from ppl who "love" math...that you should eat most of those losses...but they also say that simply you should not have your net be under 1200...so you should eat whatever it takes for your net to be over 1200...because if it is not (keeping in mind that everyone is different) but if it is not over 1200 your body could go into shock and you could be losing weight from your muscles or from other places...but not what you want...in order to keep out of starvation mode and to get the necessary nutrients for the day...most ppl say 1200 is the place to hit...but like i said everyone is different so just try to listen to your body...it should lead you in the right direction
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories. Especially if your net is below 1200. Its hard when you first start out to understand the importance of eating your exercise calories. Easiest way to look at it is your net is all you ate. So if your net is 800 thats all you ate today cause those exercise calories are burned. So all your body has to function, and recover from exercise, is 800 calories. Basically starving your body.

Not very healthy at all.
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everybody body is difference, what may work for some by eating most or all of their exercise calories may not work for others.
    What you need to do is find out if you really need to eat the calories or not to eat the calories.
    This has been a very popular and some times heated topic on "should you eat the exercise calories or not".
    You may need to experiment and find out what you body does, that is the only way you will know what to do.
    I don't eat my exercise calories, because if I decided to cheat a little I have some extra calories to work with.
    Experiement to see if you need to or not, that may be the best way to answer you own question on this popular topic.
    Hope this helps.
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    Everybody body is difference, what may work for some by eating most or all of their exercise calories may not work for others.
    What you need to do is find out if you really need to eat the calories or not to eat the calories.
    This has been a very popular and some times heated topic on "should you eat the exercise calories or not".
    You may need to experiment and find out what you body does, that is the only way you will know what to do.
    I don't eat my exercise calories, because if I decided to cheat a little I have some extra calories to work with.
    Experiement to see if you need to or not, that may be the best way to answer you own question on this popular topic.
    Hope this helps.

You should NEVER net below 1200 let alone 800. No matter who the person is. Go talk to any doctor. They will tell you that with that low a calorie count you're eating lean tissue not fat. Biggest piece of lean tissue is your heart. Which is why sudden death is a huge concern for those on very low calorie diets.

The OP should go ask her doctor. As any one who starts a diet and exercise plan should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieting#Low-calorie_diets
    These diets are not recommended for general use as they are associated with adverse side effects such as loss of lean muscle mass, increased risks of gout, and electrolyte imbalances. People attempting these diets must be monitored closely by a physician to prevent complications.
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Your answers have been so helpful! One more silly question, so should I stop working out and just stick to the diet 500cal deficit or make it from exercise? Is there a difference?
    I actually an appointment with a nutritionist on Monday so hopefully that helps get me on the right track :) You are all awesome!
  • rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Think of the calories you net from exercising as a bonus that allows you to eat a little more. You will definitely lose more weight if you keep your deficit on the negative end, but in the long run your body will hate for you for not replacing what you expended.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Your answers have been so helpful! One more silly question, so should I stop working out and just stick to the diet 500cal deficit or make it from exercise? Is there a difference?
    I actually an appointment with a nutritionist on Monday so hopefully that helps get me on the right track :) You are all awesome!

Definitely don't stop working out. Working out and getting fit will increase your capacity to burn calories. As Covert Bailey wrote, you'll be a "better butter burner". The weight loss is only half the battle.
  • Loseittoo
    Options

You need exercise to stay healthy and maintain your metabolism.

This is not hard nor complicated. Eat right and exercise. Try not to net below 1200.

I am not sure why you would want to stop exercising. Nor why you are afraid to eat. That borders on unhealthy behavior.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Maidai - I struggle too... not because I don't understand the numbers but because my metabolism seems to defy them. If you're of average height (5'4"-5'6" F or 5'10"-6'0" M) and you don't have a crazy slow or fast metabolism, I'd say stay over that 1200 net. HOW you do that is up to you. The more you work out, the leaner you'll get and the faster your metabolism will be and the more calories you'll need to consume. If you don't feel like you can eat that much, then decrease your exercise AND caloric needs, that works too.... it just depends on what you want your ultimate outcomes to be.

good luck!!!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. When I started and just ate the calories I was allotted and I was losing weight. When I started eating the calories from working out also, I stopped losing weight. Soooo...needless to say, I stopped doing that. Plus it was much easier to control myself when I was only eating the 1600 calories I was allotted for some reason.
  • sweena23
    Options
    When I don't eat the excerise calories I feel more lethargic at the end of the day...but I've just started this whole journey.... I would definately keep exercising though...it's SO important and good for you!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories. Mainly because I eat so much during the day I can't possibly fit more in. And most the stuff I eat is low calorie. So far I'm fine. As for the wikipedia link, it stated on the page it needs corrections. I agree though, discuss it with a registered dietitian and your Dr. I'm still researching this in my spare time (which usually is nil) and haven't found a good solid answer to this. I think if you feel that you need more, that's your body's way of saying FEED ME! lol If I get there I do eat more, but right now I feel fine without them, and no weirdness. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You should view the exercise calories as needed for recovery. Exercise takes it's toll and the recovery is everything!

The trick with the exercise calories is not to overestimate them if you don't have an HRM.
    For me about half, of what the site suggest, seems to be pretty close to the truth so if you end up maintaining your weight, when you begin eating the exercise calories, try eating only half. Experiment, until you lose at the pace that you have decided for yourself. That way you'll find out how much you really burn. The site only offers averages and estimations.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Read this , it helped me. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

especially the the BMI bit as my BMI is 26.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Read this , it helped me. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

especially the the BMI bit as my BMI is 26.

That was an excellent read!
    Everyone should read that!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I never dip into my exercise calories... 34lbs down! just a thought..
    Do you feel okay?
    watch out for hair loss..
    Treat yourself once a week with the extra exercise calories for that day!
    take a great multivitamin.... I started with too few calories and noticed the hair "shedding" really fast... scary... very scary

And I'm the opposite. I always eat at least most of my exercise calories back, and I've consistently lost weight as well.

I do have a splurge day (which does NOT mean eating all the junk I can find - contrary to what some on here think "splurge" means) once a week as well just to help keep the metabolism on its toes.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I don't always eat my exercise calories, usually I'm not hungry for some reason and contrary to what a lot of people on here suggest and believe I'm not about to stuff myself just to get a certain number of calories for the day. A day here and there isn't going to kill me. Today I ate a few of them I'd say though, my dinner was in the 650-750 cal range which for me is ridiculous and rare unless I'm eating pizza.