What's best? tdee to maintain or mfp?

Options
Today I weigh 10 stone 6.4. My goal weight is 10 stone 5. Almost there. I have used numerous TDEE calculators to see how many cals I need to maintain and it's roughly 1900. MFP sets it to 1980. I'm scared of jumping from my 1500 daily allowance to this amount. Also I have read that once you've reached your goal weight, add 250 cals on top of your daily alliwance that you had to lose weight which would take me to 1750. Then if I'm still losing add another 250. Any advice please?

Replies

• zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try uping in 100 Kcals increments until you find you level :-)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Just experiment week by week.

I think when you go to maintenance, your weight does go up on the scales and bit, but then it regulates as it gets used to the extra calories!!

Good luck
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would try upping calories by x amount and seeing how your weight changes, adjust from there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    add 100 cals per week till you get to 1900 and then see how you get on from there. i find MFPs maintenance numbers a bit low, but its all trial and error.

also, you should have a maintenance range of 3-4lbs either side of your goal weight to account for fluctuations.
  • JanineW37
    Options
    Thanks so much for ur replies. X
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    MFP's maintenance calorie recommendation was lower than TDEE, by almost 500 calories for me. I kept losing with MFP's number, so I switched to TDEE and that stabilized my weight, and I'm now maintaining really well with that number :)