C-section Mamas!

Options
Ok, my questions for the day are for the ladies....especially ones who have been pregnant and had a c-section...

Do your abs always separate with pregnancy?
With a c section are the muscle always cut?
Will the muscles ever repair themselves?
Does this condition always need surgery to repair the muscles (reattach)

The reason I ask is because when I lay down and get back up I can feel my lower abs tighten...I didn't think this would be possible after having 3 pregnancies and 3 c-sections. The c-sections were both vertical and horizontal cuts.

I guess what I want to know is this.....do doctors automatically stitch up and repair the abs during a c-section? Or is that surgery reserved for a plastic surgeon?

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    Here's the little I know about it. They have to cut the muscles to get to the uterus, which leaves them weaker than pre-surgery. I actually ended up having three incisional hernia repairs done after my c-sections, directly related to the weakening of muscles both from pregnancy and the c-section. They do stitch the muscles back together, but it's nothing like what a plastic surgeon would do. They're interested in closing you up, not cleaning things up so to speak. Some people have seen great improvements in the muscle tone of the stomach just from exercise. I personally don't see mine getting better without surgery.
  • katsmeow77
    Options
    Your OB GYN will repair everything he cuts. It takes a year to completely heal after a C-section. Your muscles should be back to normal, but there are some instances where they won't. My sister had an umbilical hernia and it cause a big gap in between her muscles. She had normal deliveries though. Most likely yours have healed normally if you can feel them tighten and don't have any abnormalities.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Do your abs always separate with pregnancy?
    The short answer here is yes.

With a c section are the muscle always cut?
    Not entirely sure, but there will still be some damage (even if they are not cut, they have to be spread them apart more than what would happen from a vaginal birth.)

Will the muscles ever repair themselves?
    Yes and no. It really depends on the extent of the damage. Some of the damage will likely repair itself.

Does this condition always need surgery to repair the muscles (reattach)
    No. Some women find that the muscles repair themselves to their satisfaction through exercise and time.

I guess what I want to know is this.....do doctors automatically stitch up and repair the abs during a c-section?
    From what I understand, they do some repair in order to close. The level of this stitching would probably vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Or is that surgery reserved for a plastic surgeon?
    Further repair of the muscle (after the c-section itself) would likely involve a plastic surgeon.

My 2 cents? Give it some time and check in with your doctor. I'm not sure how long ago you gave birth, but it can take quite a while for the muscles to tighten and for the gap to decrease.
  • NurseMommy
    NurseMommy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, your muscles most always seperate. Yes, they always cut through muscles! But our amazing bodies do repair themselves!! But in the words of my OBGYN, after a c-section, you should work twice as hard because you have twice as much muscle damage!! good luck
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    my sister had a c-section and she deffinatly has abs
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section two and a half years ago with my son. I am just now able to really do sit ups again. It hurts so bad for litterally the first two and a half years. I really took it easy on the abs- did not have a choice it hurt so bad. I will tell you this they had to have repaired because I feel better than I ever have and my core is stronger than ever. I kid you not like this week. I have really upped my protein over the last month I drink over 62 oz of water per day and I do weight training - just dumbells 2-3X per week. I have been doing this for about a month as well. It has made a huge differnce. Good luck!!! Let me know if you have any ?s or want more details.
  • triscuitsmom08
    triscuitsmom08 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had two C-sections in the last couple years. The first time I was able to lose weight quickly and go back to normal. This time its taking some time. Neither time have I had pain or problems bringing my muscles back together. I can do sit ups, crunches, and now I'm doing power yoga. I think it's all about how good of an OB you had. Mine was amazing and he did a wonderful job stitching me back up. but then again at the same time I didn't sit around waiting for myself to heal completely and oddly even though youd think this would hurt more I think it helped. :) I say slowly ease yourself into an intense workout for strength training and you'll see it come around :)
  • mmwinky
    mmwinky Posts: 8
    Options
    I had 2 c-sections 15 months apart. These two were my biggest babies at 11 lbs 5oz and 9 lbs 7 oz. I have 5 children all together. The last c-section was 3 years ago. The area around my scar is still numb. My question is: can you tone muscle you can't even feel? And what are some good exercises for that? Thanks. :)
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 c-sections (last one 20 months ago) and while I'm all "healed up", my abdominal strength is pitiful. I worked on doing crunches for MONTHS before I could even get the tiniest bit of discernable movement. I can now do about fifty crunches, teeny tiny little crunches (LOL), but it's coming along ... albeit, very very slowly.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I had 2 c-sections 15 months apart. These two were my biggest babies at 11 lbs 5oz and 9 lbs 7 oz. I have 5 children all together. The last c-section was 3 years ago. The area around my scar is still numb. My question is: can you tone muscle you can't even feel? And what are some good exercises for that? Thanks. :)

Hi, I had my c-section 12 years ago and still numb under the scar. honestly, I rarely notice it anymore, and it does slowly get better. But the numbness only goes to the skin, not the muscles so you can definitely tone the underlying muscle. scrunches worked for me in that area before, but I bet core is better for you.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 c-sections ( last one 16 months ago, one in 2008 and twins in 2005) all bikini cut's...good question though I will be wondering the same things when I can see the scar again one day. hahaha lots of poochie to go! :tongue:
  • Jillie1010
    Options
    I just wanted to respond to this as I was looking for diastis recti forums that were recent and I couldn't find anything.
    I've had two c-sections and the first one was an emergency. It was new years day and I had a resident who operated on me. she didn't sew up my abdominal muscles and they were severely separated. Even before the c-section they were all messed up as i noticed that even getting up from a lying position was scary when i looked at my stomach as there was a huge bulge where my abs were supposed to be. It was horrible. :( Even a year after the birth, i couldn't do sit ups because of the bulge. it was awful to look at.

On my second c-section I ASKED the OB if there was anything she could do about the bulge. She said YES! she could add a stitch to the muscles to get them to stay together. She did this for me and the bulge is GONE!!!! I am 11 months post birth and it is amazing...the difference is so markedly different and amazing!!!!! Just wanted to let everyone know that it IS possible to get this done!
  • amberjanda09
    Options
    I currently am 15 months post C-section. I have a large bulge that has been in my tummy since the day my son was born. I kept trying to get answers from my ob/gyn and was told it can take a year for that to go away. I cannot do sit up, I cannot go on long walks. recently I felt the bulge goosh and now I have a hernia?! I am disappointed/ relieved to find that other people have had this bulge. I'm just sad I didn't know it could be fixed a year ago!