B12 Injections

Options
Snow3y
Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
What's the hyp about B12 injections? I want to hear from whoever has tried them and what differences you noticed while taking them?

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zapinkleopard
    Options
    I used to have to take them once a month because an emergency surgery left me anemic for about a year. I noticed nothing while taking them.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I had extremely low b12 when pregnant. Within a few hours of having an injection, I felt more energetic and my lethargy was completely gone. I think you only see a big difference if you are low to start with
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been taking B12 shots for a couple of years now. For some reason my body does not store B12 like it should. I was so low in B12 that I was in the single digits for my levels. My doctor has told me that B12 is something that varies widely from person to person. The normal range is any where from 250 to 900. The shots have gotten me up to a400-450 range. I started out taking one per week for about 6 months, then one every other week, then once a month working our way to once every 8 week now.
    When my levels were at the lowest I could not only feel a difference when I got the shot, but a day or so before my shot was due. I would start to feel sluggish and tired. A day or so after the shot I felt good, back to being able to face normal things with out feeling like I was just to tired to try.
    Only your doctor can decide if you need the shots. They aren't cheap, so you might want to see if adding a B Complex vitamin would work for you. I couldn't take those, so I had no choice but the shots.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Cyanocobalamin injections can be done subcutaneously or intramuscularly once monthly; the major advantage being better absorption and sequestration in tissue/muscle allowing fewer dosing versus other dosage forms. Normally per oral B12 has to be taken daily since B12 is water soluble. The par enteral B12 is also better absorbed in instances of lacking intrinsic factor or impaired absorption ability (mostly age related, can also be from chronic acid suppression therapy from proton pump inhibitors and Metformin).

Alternatively sublingual B12 is an option for those who fear needles
    The best food source of B12 would liver
    FYI b12 is often a gateway drug for learning how to inject yourself safely...slippery slope for endurance cyclers learning how to blood dope themselves safely
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Every 3 weeks i have my BF or Mom inject me, Have I noticed a difference yes!!

Heres some of it's benefits

B12 increases metabolism, the side effect of which can be weight loss. With regular B12 shots and a combination of other weight loss regimens, people have reported to lose weight much faster and they attribute it to the shot.

B12, Great energy booster. What better way to deliver an energy booster than directly into the bloodstream? The other option would be to take a supplement, which would take many hours in the digestive process and would lose much value along the way.

Speaking of value, with a B12 shot, you retain almost all the B12 – none of it gets lost in the digestive process. For comparisons sake, a B12 tablet leaves you with only 1.2% of B12 in the tablet. A shot will lose very little, if any.

b12 Shots are highly recommended mood boosters as well. B12 is essential for a properly functioning central nervous system – we know that dysfunction can lead to depression. If you suffer from mild depression once in a while, you can try a B12 shot as a mood booster – some people have reported feeling happily giddy afterwards, but not for long. In a few hours, it settles and you are just happy!

B12 is essential for a properly functioning cardiovascular system. It thins the blood and prevents blood stickiness. Blood cells sticking together is what leads to a blood clot which can cause a stroke.

It is needed to convert carbohydrates into glucose in the body, thus leading to energy production and a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body.

It helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system, reducing depression, stress, and brain shrinkage.

It helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Vitamin B12 also protects against heart disease by curbing and improving unhealthy

cholesterol levels, protecting against stroke, and high blood pressure.

It is essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails. It helps in cell reproduction and constant renewal of the skin.

Vitamin B 12 helps protect against cancers including breast, colon, lung, and prostrate cancer.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I get monthly injections because the part of my intestine that absorbs B12 has been removed, I can't absorb it. The only thing I notice after my shot is a few sleepless, restless nights. No added energy during the day though.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Every 3 weeks i have my BF or Mom inject me, Have I noticed a difference yes!!

Heres some of it's benefits

B12 increases metabolism, the side effect of which can be weight loss. With regular B12 shots and a combination of other weight loss regimens, people have reported to lose weight much faster and they attribute it to the shot.

B12, Great energy booster. What better way to deliver an energy booster than directly into the bloodstream? The other option would be to take a supplement, which would take many hours in the digestive process and would lose much value along the way.

The shot doesn't directly cause weight loss, but in a roundabout way it can be responsible. If you feel more energetic, you're likely to move more. Often, moving more means you aren't sitting around feeling tired and miserable and comfort-eating or boredom-eating. So, you might lose weight.

The real effect you're looking for (unless you're low and need it for medical reasons) is the energy boost, though. Some people report feeling it, some don't.

We used to give a B12 booster to the horses before a show - seemed to help them deal with the stress of trailering and the new environment.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I get monthly injections because the part of my intestine that absorbs B12 has been removed, I can't absorb it. The only thing I notice after my shot is a few sleepless, restless nights. No added energy during the day though.

More advantages...short bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, route en-Y gastric bypass (lap band), also orlistat (ALLI/XENICAL) users...all due to impaired absorption

Deltoid (IM) or triceps (SC) routes are your way to go...I prefer to self inject deep in the deltoid
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    It's generally a way for a practitioner to generate some extra income by giving an injection of something that won't cause a whole lot of harm.

In a few cases it can be better than just getting B12 via food intake or supplements, but those cases are pretty rare.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I had a severe B12 deficiency so I got monthly shots for 6 months, I felt like I was back to normal. If you don't have a deficiency the shots don't do any good (according to my doctor - she would not give them to me after my levels had evened out, said it wouldn't have any affect), the hype is the same hype like any other miracle supplement/weight loss drug. It does nothing.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think you should only get them done if you truly need it
    the body is supposed to naturally produce b12 however due to the fact that most people are fed an omnivore diet from birth the body stops producing it as theres enough of it.

but yes they are only something thats useful if you lack it, I get tested annually for it due to my diet, its low but not low enough for shots yet
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i'm b12 deficient, so have to have the injections, my body doesn't naturally absorb it so i have no choice, i feel great after having them, but the effect soon starts to wear off and i feel like crap till my next one
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What's the hyp about B12 injections? I want to hear from whoever has tried them and what differences you noticed while taking them?

Hype is the right word......

Have you been diagnosed as being B12 deficient?
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I get them since by blood test showed mine to be dangerously low. I don't really notice a difference. I am horrible about going to get them though, it's just annoying to go to the doctor's office once a month for something I don't notice.Taking vitamin B daily in tablet form did nothing to raise my levels. The Dr. and decided I should try the sublingual drops, I had a blood test after two months of this to see if my body is absorbing it when taken this way. Should know any day if it's working or not.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Some interesting reading re: B12 (I know, it's science so it may offend some preconceived notions)

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/vitamin-b12-the-energy-panacea/

Executive summary: you don't need supplements unless deficient, eat a balanced diet and get enough sleep.