help with sugars, just joined

Options
lbsnoop76
lbsnoop76 Posts: 17 Member
Just filled out my first daily plan, thought I was doing ok but sugars are too high, goal is 29g, I am at 88g! this is made up of the odd 1g here and 2g there but the high sugars are as follows, raisins 25g packet - 17g, raspberry yoghurt flakes 25g packet - 14g, Banana 14g, sweet and sour sauce 16g, apple 20g! I didnt realise fruit was so high in sugar, any advice!??

Replies

• staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, don't stress about the sugars in the fruit too much. But as you get closer to your goal weight you will need to monitor it more and try and stay closer to the sugar guidelines. Just try to limit the added sugars as much as you can.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Also, now that you know to watch out for it you can compare labels in the store and go for lower sugars, like in yogurts and peanut butters for example. And welcome to MFP!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'd limit your fruit intake. It's ultimately better than your candy bar, but once it hits the blood stream the body treats it the same way. You can and will gain fat by eating exhorbitant amount of fruits (you aren't, but this is just a warning). Check out the glycemic index on fruit, berries are one of my favorites (raspberries in particular) for their low sugar content.
  • lbsnoop76
    lbsnoop76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    cheers guys
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I'd limit your fruit intake. It's ultimately better than your candy bar, but once it hits the blood stream the body treats it the same way. You can and will gain fat by eating exhorbitant amount of fruits (you aren't, but this is just a warning). Check out the glycemic index on fruit, berries are one of my favorites (raspberries in particular) for their low sugar content.
    If some eat an "exorbitant" amount of anything and it's over someones energy balance they will gain weight, otherwise no.
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you are really serious about losing weight... Limit yourself to two fruit a day (replace the other servings of fruit you were eating with veggies). Low sugar fruits include grapefruit, apples, berries... the highest sugar fruits include bananas and grapes...

And you could make homemade dips instead of sweet and sour sauce. Vinegars, mustards, stevia, tomato paste, and spices are all your best friends. My favourite is Dijon mustard with stevia to make a tangy honey mustard.

And trade out those yogurt bite things with some nuts maybe? If you cut out added sugar and limit the natural sugars you will actually crave them less.