Staying on target with Sugars

Is anyone else having issues with staying on target with their sugar levels? Myfitnesspal has set me a target of 45g per day which I have exceeded just with my breakfast this morning which was 47g! This was just a blueberry and banana smoothie with 150ml skimmed milk, a couple of tbs of natural yoghurt and 1tsp of honey, so nothing particularly unhealthy.

For snacks, I only eat a couple of pieces of fruit and a nakd (completely fruit-based) cereal bar which are also contributing quite considerably! I'm now on 77g for the day before I've even left work! This target does not seem feasible considering all sugars are all naturally occuring, nothing refined. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    MFP sets your sugar count way too low, and I would not even bother tracking it. I do but really just for curiousity sake. Sugar does not make you fat, overeating does. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you can pretty much have all the sugar that you want…
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    I too am having this problem. MFP has me at 35 and like you said before dinner comes I am already in the red zone.

I know since I am in the same boat I can't give much advice but I do say that from what you say you are intaking alot of fruits which are sugar yes natural sugar but still sugar. I know I have been trying my best to eat more veggies vs fruits because of that reason. But somehow I am still over. :ohwell:
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    I was having that same problem. Fruit is natural in sugar so it will be cause your levels to go up. I took sugar off of my diary and replaced it with something else. You should look into the settings and take sugar off all together or you are going to be stressed. Good Luck
  • I have this problem too. so would love to hear anyone's tips. Like you I only eat a couple of pieces of fruit a day, so nothing majorly unhealthy. Should I be concerned?
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    MFP sets your sugar count way too low, and I would not even bother tracking it. I do but really just for curiousity sake. Sugar does not make you fat, overeating does. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you can pretty much have all the sugar that you want…

Me too - I am often over if I eat a banana and an apple in the same day.......... as long as it isnt in donuts cake and chocolate I just accept that I will be over on my sugar but have met my 5 a day requirement and eaten healthily. If it is in donuts cake and chocolate then I am a bad girl!
  • jko90s
    jko90s Posts: 25
    As you eat a lot of fruit your sugar is always going to be high. That being said most of your sugars are from fructose, and are in foods that have added benefits such as fibre etc.

For snacks try some almonds or my personal favourite pistachio nuts. They contain lots of good minerals, healthy fats and protein which is important to include in a diet.

Im usually in the mid 30's with the majority of my sugars coming from milk. I usually eat veggies over fruits unless Im working out

That being said if you're losing weight regardless it doesn't matter if MFP says you are going over!
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    I manually set my sugar target at 70 g per day. The problem with MFP's target (and this is just my opinion) is that it doesn't (and can't?) differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. In November, the American Heart Association released a report recommending that men limit their added sugar intake to 36 g per day and women should limit it to 20 g per day. Bear in mind that natural sugars like those found in fruits, vegetables and the like don't count against that limit. So, a woman who eats a banana for a morning snack and an apple in the afternoon could have 50 g of sugar in the day and still meet that AHA target.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    I was having that same problem. Fruit is natural in sugar so it will be cause your levels to go up. I took sugar off of my diary and replaced it with something else. You should look into the settings and take sugar off all together or you are going to be stressed. Good Luck

Yup, this. I don't think I've ever tracked sugar. I track fiber instead. (Carbs/protein/fat/fiber/sodium)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    It's for added sugars, not sugars found naturally in the food you eat. If you want to reduce added sugar then do that, if not, then just ignore the targets, or set them to a realistic number than reflects your diet, if it bothers you to see red.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    I manually set my sugar target at 70 g per day. The problem with MFP's target (and this is just my opinion) is that it doesn't (and can't?) differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. In November, the American Heart Association released a report recommending that men limit their added sugar intake to 36 g per day and women should limit it to 20 g per day. Bear in mind that natural sugars like those found in fruits, vegetables and the like don't count against that limit. So, a woman who eats a banana for a morning snack and an apple in the afternoon could have 50 g of sugar in the day and still meet that AHA target.

bump