progesterone pills = weight gain?

Options
after losing weight, i've had irregular periods and i haven't had my period since mid january. i saw a doctor about it today and prescribed me progesterone pills (not the birth control ones), that would apparently regulate my menstrual cycle.
does anyone know if they would make me gain weight?
i did a research online and some people say they made them gain weight, some say they lost weight from them.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    They do for me. They have on two seperate occasions. When I was on Depo and then again on the mini-pill while I was breastfeeding my little one. But everyone is different.
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can avoid the weight gain by drinking extra water. I was on them for months, just recently stopped because my period came on it's on before the pill was due to start.
  • Momowink
    Momowink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Progesterone is linked to weight gain, but it's through it's effects on appetite. So you can control your weight on it!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21491411
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pop/mini pill because I am highly sensitive to estrogen (triggers migraines and seizures). The first month or so of it there was a lot of bloating for me - 2 or three pounds of water weight. I knew it was water weight because my body fat percentage dropped a lot! However after that it leveled off and I did not gain weight overall.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They did not affect my weight loss but I was on them for only a short time.
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    thank you for the replies :)
    i'm being put on them for 10 days so i hope the gain (if there will be any) will be only temporary and hopefully water weight only
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    thank you for the replies :)
    i'm being put on them for 10 days so i hope the gain (if there will be any) will be only temporary and hopefully water weight only

You have nothing to worry about if it's for 10 days. I've been on them before and usually gain up to 7lbs, but it's always water weight. It will drop off when you come off them. To get your periods on track then it's totally worth it.

I'm now on the mini-pill, which stops my periods altogether. I've found it gives the same water gain and has also increased my appetite, which has led to weight gain. But I'm certain that if I had been on MFP and logging my food when I went on the pill this wouldn't have happened as I would have seen the increase in calories.

And, at the end of the day, I'd rather have a few extra pounds on my body if it means my periods aren't getting in the way of being able to enjoy life!
  • fuckbeauty
    Options
    I'm supposed to start them for the same reason as you, except they said I'd have to take them for 3 months. I was given the prescription a while ago, but never filled it because I was too scared of the side effects. Tried eating more fat to get my period back with no luck. More scared for my health now, ready to give it a try!

What dose did you take? Did it work? And what side effects? Don't be afraid to be honest if they're awful haha. Gonna try it cause its the right thing to do, just wanna be prepared.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've had no weight gain result from them and I've been on them for a long time.
  • cvantinegonzalez
    cvantinegonzalez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After losing 20 pounds, I was able to maintain my weight without problems for a year. After starting progesterone in December, I quickly gained 8 pounds that I cannot loose, even by eating better than before. Extremely frustrating.
  • mybeat
    mybeat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am completely annoyed by this. I just started progesterone yesterday (yesterday!!) and my weight was up by 1.5 pounds today. It's gotta be water weight, but it is hitting on my anxiety. The gas is crazy, and my already troubled bowel movements seem more troubled. Take it to get pregnant, hopefully, and anybody would say "what wouldn't you do"?? However, when I was pregnant (and had two miscarriages), first time I gained 10 pounds in 2 months, second time I gained none, because I refused to gain weight in the 1st trimester (you don't need to).

Just went gluten free, too, which could cause gas...:( I don't like these fluctuations, because they make me more crazy about my eating habits.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If y'all are talking about Prometrium, there is a trick to minimize side effects. Use the pill vaginally instead of orally. Research it, really :)

Last time I was on synthetic progesterone, I got ravenous and did gain weight. Then I was on Prometrium (bio-identical) and it was fine, but I stopped because I wanted to be off all hormones. Now I'm on it with that trick and all seems to be good. I take it for endometriosis and PCOS, where we want my periods to completely stop and my estrogen to not be unopposed anymore.