The ‘Healthy Obese’ and Their Healthy Fat Cells

Options
This article is from October 2013, but it discusses the difference between a metabolically healthy person and a metabolically obese person.

Worth a read and comment if you're interested in learning more about it.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/the-healthy-obese-and-their-healthy-fat-cells/?smid=tw-share

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    bump
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly objective until the very end where they blame sugar, alcohol, and white flour. They don't know this for sure and even say that but it will add fuel to the food is evil fire. Food is not evil, food in excess just like anything in excess can cause ill effects but is not evil.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly objective until the very end where they blame sugar, alcohol, and white flour. They don't know this for sure and even say that but it will add fuel to the food is evil fire. Food is not evil, food in excess just like anything in excess can cause ill effects but is not evil.

I think you should reread this paragraph:

"It remains to be seen to what extent environment, exercise and genetics determine metabolically healthy obesity. But Dr. Naukkarinen said that anti-inflammatory drugs have been shown to protect mitochondrial function and improve diabetic symptoms and glucose metabolism. And he suspects that heavy alcohol consumption and exposure to high glycemic foods that create spikes in blood glucose and insulin levels, like sugar and white flour, may also play a role.

But more study is needed.
    "

The article does not "blame" any of those things for obesity. It simply mentions that alcohol consumption and high glycemic foods may contribute to inflammation which can exacerbate complications from metabolic obesity not that it CAUSED obesity.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've been obese for 20 years and I've never had high cholesterol, insulin resistance (or diabetes), high blood pressure, etc. Not saying I WANT to stay obese, nor do I think I could have stayed healthy had I continued to be obese into my 50s and beyond, but this is certainly an interesting way to explain the mystery of how I could be obese and still have "healthy" numbers all my life.