Secret Weapon Foods

Options
You know what I'm talking about... the lower-calorie alternatives or healthier versions or sweet satisfying nuggets of yumminess that you've discovered during your time on MFP that have made all the difference! What secret weapon foods do you find yourself eating all the time that you might not have even known or cared about before you started tracking calories and nutrition?

Here are a few of mine:

1) Whole Wheat Best Pita - at 80 calories for a WHOLE pita, these things are amazing. It's easy to put scrambled egg whites or tuna fish salad into a half of a pita for a satisfying breakfast/lunch.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=734C4502-615F-11E1-AFF9-1231380C18FB

2) Crazy Richard's 100% Natural Peanut Butter - But Kristi... PB has almost 200 calories per 2T?! Yes, I know... but I couldn't live without and highly suggest wisely incorporating nuts into your diet (I usually do PB or almonds every day for a snack). And... Crazy ****'s got the best nuts! The ingredients on these containers read one thing: PEANUTS. No added ingredients, no added salt.

3) PLAIN greek yogurt - I use this $#&^ on everything. This is the easiest way to increase the protein in your diet and get rid of some of the unwanted fat/sugars. Plain greek yogurt can replace sour cream and other similar ingredients in recipes and I also enjoy a small bowl of it for a mid-morning snack. You don't like plain yogurt, you say? I understand your taste buds might not be used to the unsweetened version of yogurt... but if you could make the switch away from the syrupy flavored yogurts, you'll never go back. My suggestion: use cinnamon/fresh fruit to help yourself get used to the plainness.

4) Avocadoes - Careful... these things are loaded with calories... but I couldn't live without them. I love adding a 1/4-1/2 of an avocado to my salad or using avocado as a mayo replacement on my sandwiches. A dose of this healthy fat always keeps me satisfied.

I could go on about my favorite foods for awhile... but I want to hear from you. What are your go-to foods that you would recommend others try?

Replies

• IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Dijon mustard, franks red hot, salt (highly overlooked as appetite suppressing), black coffee, xanthan gum, and pretty much any herb or spice
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fiber Gourmet pasta - I can't remember what user mentioned it in a post or I would send him a huge thank you. I now eat pasta more often than I used to.

Cocoa roast almonds - I think these things are super yummy and a great way to curb an after dinner craving for something sweet. And they go so well with red wine. :drinker:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocaholic, so Fiber One chocolate brownies (90 calories but high fiber), sugar free jello pudding and Arctic Zero frozen dessert (heavenly ice cream-like treats, 0 fat, 37 calories per 1/2 cup! YUM!

Others include Laughing Cow light cheese, hummus or fat free cream cheese spread on Triscuits or with raw veggies. Ole Xtreme Wellness tortillas (90 calories, 0 fat, 9 grams of fiber). Nutritional yeast instead of cheese in some things (like on pasta).
  • kristisanchez11
    kristisanchez11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to try the Artic Zero froxen desset and fiber gourmet pasta!

I should have added WASA Crisp & Light crackers - fantastic for use with the Laughing Cow wedges, PB, or hummus.
  • bmn13
    bmn13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of chocolate protein powder....instant moose on those days you just need a bit of a pick me up! :)
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    PB2 - I'll use a mix of 2 tbs of that and 1 tbs of crunchy real PB on my morning toast, comes out to about 2/3 the calories and you get more volume! also great in baking, to add to protein shakes, etc. It's amazing stuff.