HELP! Winter Blues!

Options
OK so it's got to that time of year now when I just want to curl up and hibernate! It's cold and dark and I find it hard to make myself exercise - just want to sleep! Who else gets the winter blues and how do you deal with it? Any tips grrrrreatly appreciated!

Replies

• AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ooooh maybe that's what I'm feeling! Hmmm probably not though since I'm in Phoenix. :p
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    well i live in scotland so its like winter all the time here haha !
    a walk in the fresh air is always good it clears your head and makes u feel great ! x
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! I started MFP in July, and I was a machine: eating clean everyday, going to the gym 4 times a week, running 10K on the weekends. I loved how I felt, and looked. But since October, I have stalled. It's dark and cold, and I've no motivation to head to the gym at the end of the workday. :yawn:

I look for inspiration from my other MFP friends. I'm friends with a girl who hits the gym EVERY morning before work for 1.5 hours of cardio and weights. WOW! If she can do it, then I can do it. No excuses!

Er...just as soon as I get over this cold. Achoo!
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii Fit and exercise bike in the house so I don't have to go out if the weather is bad. But if it is dry, I like to go for a long walk.

C
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I get the winter blues every year. Last year was the worst. I'm trying to head it off this year with keeping the exercise up...exercise helps the blues! I was very down yesterday...day started bad...bad workout, spat with hubby, long day at work, etc....today had a fantastic workout this morning because I pushed it and feel GREAT right now.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I hear you on the blues. This time of year is so depressing when there's so little daylight.
    I just bought a little stepper machine to help me through the Winter this year since I don't move out too much. Too icy and snowy to get out walking and I don't have a gym membership or even a car to get me to a gym if I did belong to one.
  • kerrera
    Options
    I am just grateful i am not the only one.
    Since october i have basically stopped exercise. I used to run of an evening, but its so dark and cold i just want to veg. I cant be bothered to leave the house when its dark to go to the gym. I have however stuck to my calories, and been walking more in the day with my kids and at work and have continued to lose weight abeit at a slower pace. So dont dispair.
    I am planning on getting back on the gym treadmill soonest.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    I bet that is what my problem has been lately. I have lost all motivation since it has become to cold to run outside and it gets dark early.
  • Oh you poor people, I know exactly how you feel! It's such a shame to lose motivation when everything was going so well. I like the idea of exercising at home. I totally agree it makes you feel better but it's hard to make myself do it. Right, I'm going to do workouts on Sat and Sun this weekend to lift my mood!