Protein Powder - advantages?

Options
Hi there,

Newbie when it comes to smoothies...collecting info for my new Nutribullet adventure!

I noticed that a lot of you include protein powder. Can you give me a 101 on that, assuming I already have a good protein intake (meat) from other meals?

thanks

Replies

• stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you feel that you already have enough protein than i wouldn't worry too much about adding protein powder to your shakes. A reason to use protein powder is that people substitute their meals for shakes and in order to make sure you get enough protein without actually eating it, they add the powder. I would try fruit and veggie smoothies. Those are always tasty!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you feel that you already have enough protein than i wouldn't worry too much about adding protein powder to your shakes. A reason to use protein powder is that people substitute their meals for shakes and in order to make sure you get enough protein without actually eating it, they add the powder. I would try fruit and veggie smoothies. Those are always tasty!

That's what I thought too, thanks for the confirmation! I am overwhelmed by all the recipes and need to make a list for shopping :)
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hey Eso! I am not a nutritionist I just play one on TV - HAHA. But seriously, a high quality (keywords here - high quality = clean) protein shake containing at least 24 g of protein is the more nutritious choice you can make. Choose a shake with a complete protein - undenatured whey (cold filtered process) - due to its complete amino acid profile. It also has a higher biological value (BV) than an egg. A whole raw egg has a BV of 100 and whey protein concentrate is at 159. Not whey protein isolate as that process breaks down the structure of the protein. Also make sure its a complete meal replacement (at least 240 calories) with healthy fat and carbohydrates. Your body requires all those things. And to make sure you are satisfied, choose one high in fiber, at least 5 grams. No artificial anything. Stay away from soy (BV of 74) it contains phytoestrogens which are not good for your endocrine system. Also soy is highly GMO. Friend me and I can give you more info.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Just remember that MFP doesn't set your protein high enough....ever! All of my research throughout the Internets say you need the number of grams of protein as half your body weight in pounds. So, I weigh 112 pounds, so I need at least 56 grams of protein. I have, however, set my protein goal at my full body weight!

If you feel great and you're getting enough protein from the foods you eat, then don't worry about a protein shake. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hey Eso! I am not a nutritionist I just play one on TV - HAHA. But seriously, a high quality (keywords here - high quality = clean) protein shake containing at least 24 g of protein is the more nutritious choice you can make. Choose a shake with a complete protein - undenatured whey (cold filtered process) - due to its complete amino acid profile. It also has a higher biological value (BV) than an egg. A whole raw egg has a BV of 100 and whey protein concentrate is at 159. Not whey protein isolate as that process breaks down the structure of the protein. Also make sure its a complete meal replacement (at least 240 calories) with healthy fat and carbohydrates. Your body requires all those things. And to make sure you are satisfied, choose one high in fiber, at least 5 grams. No artificial anything. Stay away from soy (BV of 74) it contains phytoestrogens which are not good for your endocrine system. Also soy is highly GMO. Friend me and I can give you more info.

No advertising. We know you sell Isagenix. Please take your trash somewhere else.