Linguine Noodles - I can't figure this out

Options
Hi all,

So on the box it gives the calories for 2oz of noodles and what the calories are. But I'm not going to cook my noodles separate just so I can get an accurate measurement. Can someone please tell me how much one serving of noodles weighs cooked? Is there something that says this that I'm just missing? I can't help but feel like I'm asking a really dumb question here lol

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So on the box it gives the calories for 2oz of noodles and what the calories are. But I'm not going to cook my noodles separate just so I can get an accurate measurement. Can someone please tell me how much one serving of noodles weighs cooked? Is there something that says this that I'm just missing? I can't help but feel like I'm asking a really dumb question here lol

Weigh dry pasta, weigh again after cooking, portion out, use maths to figure out approx cal count
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Weigh dry pasta, weigh again after cooking, portion out, use maths to figure out approx cal count

What he said.

It will absorb different amounts of water each time you cook it (based on how long it boils), so it's going to weight different amounts cooked. You have to start dry and extrapolate.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but I believe a kitchen tool exists that has holes in it where you can measure out things like 2 ounces of pasta by sticking the long noodles through the hole.

I assume this is because you aren't cooking all of it at once? I just cook the whole box and eyeball it into portions! GASP!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

This.

It's a pain in the backside when you're cooking for five, but it's either that, or cook yours separate, or guess. Personally, I'd rather weigh it all and do a little math.

Rigger
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I read the nutrition labels very carefully. It should tell you how much a serving is dry vs cooked. I used to cook my noodles seperately from my kids, but now I just weigh them out after the whole thing is cooked. If I'm feeling like I need to be exact, I measure out the 2oz dry then cook them. It should have the grams on the box if you are using grams as your form of measurement. My food scale has grams, mL, lbs and oz. good luck! Hope you figure it out!

2oz of pasta isnt as much as we think LOL--sadly...its delish!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Or cook 2 oz dry noodles one time, weigh it, and use that measurement. You don't have to keep doing it every single time you make them.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I measure mine dry and cook it separate. It's a pain but it works :)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I cook my portion seperate from my boyfriend's pasta. Good advice to portion out x amount dry--then cook it---then weigh it again and divide. So, if you make 6oz of pasta and you only want a 2oz serving, just weigh the full amount and divide it by 3---and then you have that amount of the pasta. Does that make sense? It is probably clear as mud. I know what I'm trying to say, but it isn't coming our right. lol
  • synapse0782
    synapse0782 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks all. Almost makes me want to just skip it altogether. Ha
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Typically the mass/amount doubles after cooked.

Meaning, 1/4c of uncooked pasta is ~1/2c cooked ... or 2oz uncooked pasta is ~4oz cooked.

When I have been super diligent about weighing/measuring, I found this to be true. Yes, depending on how much water the noodles absorb will effect overall weight, but you would be dang near close if you weigh out 4oz of COOKED pasta as your portion. This often helps when making large batches and you don't want to boil/cook your individual portion.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks all. Almost makes me want to just skip it altogether. Ha

No need to be that extreme. I know that there are good reasons to weigh and measure all of your food, but I wasn't that extreme and I still lost my one pound per week. I have now been maintaining for two years while "winging it" It's not as hard as it all sounds! Good luck!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I made pasta last night. The box had 8 portions. I wanted to eat 2. I cooked the whole thing, weighed all the cooked noodles together, divided by 8 to get the weight of 1 portion, then had 2 of those portions. Simples.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I measure it dry and cook it separate (chances are I am the only one doing whole wheat)...I think that is a decent enough estimate...my god, I am not gonna weigh it before and after..I am diligent but not crazy.
  • sugoober
    sugoober Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read that 2 oz dry noodles makes 1 cup cooked.