Lifting at Home

Options
I dont have a gym nearby. I dont have the time to go to the gym. I am a single mother working full time with a special needs child that has insomnia.

I began using a 15lb weights for basic. (Bicep curl and lift above the head). (Tricep dips behind the head).

I need new exercises, and i want to expand from the muscles im working with the curls.

Any exercises y'all have in mind?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I like squats with weights, shrugs, dead lifts. I despise lunges with weights but I do them anyway. I bought the book New Rules of Lifting for Women which is a progressive program. It is written for the gym, but it does have alternatives for the home gym. I am on Stage 1 and so far, it is very time friendly.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I like squats with weights, shrugs, dead lifts. I despise lunges with weights but I do them anyway. I bought the book New Rules of Lifting for Women which is a progressive program. It is written for the gym, but it does have alternatives for the home gym. I am on Stage 1 and so far, it is very time friendly.

How do you do a dead lift? I am not to the point in my leg and strength yet to do lunges with the 15lb weights, although i have done them with the 5lb weights. *Killer*
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The good thing with progressive lifting is you can buy as you go :)

I started my squats with a broom handle and 1.25 k plates (I think it was about £5 for 4) and 2.5k then 5k. It took me a good few weeks before I had to buy a barbell and (when I couldn't get the weight over my head) a good few months before I needed the squat rack then bigger plates etc.

There's loads of good programmes out there. I'd recommend, starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, NROLFW and strong curves.

If you really can't afford equipment I've heard good things about, be your own gym and convict conditioning (but haven't tried them)
  • Marcillene
    Options
    The good thing with progressive lifting is you can buy as you go :)

I started my squats with a broom handle and 1.25 k plates (I think it was about £5 for 4) and 2.5k then 5k. It took me a good few weeks before I had to buy a barbell and (when I couldn't get the weight over my head) a good few months before I needed the squat rack then bigger plates etc.

There's loads of good programmes out there. I'd recommend, starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, NROLFW and strong curves.

If you really can't afford equipment I've heard good things about, be your own gym and convict conditioning (but haven't tried them)

I tried googling Stronglift 5x5 but couldnt really find any info. on it that generally pointed me in the right direction. is starting strength a book or dvd?
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can do some amazing workouts that will build muscle and cardio endurance using body weight only in your living room. Check out free you tubes like You Are Your Own Gym. Nia Shanks does a body weight only program. Zuzka light and Fitness blender are other options. I just did Jillian Micheals 6 week to a 6 pack yesterday and even as a non beginner it had some great moves in it... lots of options and my heart is with you as a full time parent to 4 young children and 1 with special needs...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Since it seems like equipment is limited, you may want to look into the program "You are Your Own Gym"
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Is a great resource!

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Check out Body Beast for a lifiting video
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Starting strength is a book (all are except 5x5). It's by mark rippetoes who has loads of vids on YouTube if you want a nosy.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    I throw my two year old over my shoulder and do prison squats, then he gets on my back and I do push-ups, then I grab his wrists and lift him over my head repeatedly.

He's about 30lbs, which isn't much but you can make an excellent circuit workout using only your child.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    You can do some amazing workouts that will build muscle and cardio endurance using body weight only in your living room. Check out free you tubes like You Are Your Own Gym. Nia Shanks does a body weight only program. Zuzka light and Fitness blender are other options. I just did Jillian Micheals 6 week to a 6 pack yesterday and even as a non beginner it had some great moves in it... lots of options and my heart is with you as a full time parent to 4 young children and 1 with special needs...

I have limited space. and the ONLY time i can attempt lifting/excercise is a brief period of time in the morning when i wake up early before my son (He's 2). so i cannot be loud, or use a DVD. Thats why i am attempting lifting and specific exercises at the moment.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I throw my two year old over my shoulder and do prison squats, then he gets on my back and I do push-ups, then I grab his wrists and lift him over my head repeatedly.

He's about 30lbs, which isn't much but you can make an excellent circuit workout using only your child.

ALOT OF my lifting comes in this form. my son is 2 and a beastly 40lbs. I throw him over my shoulder, grab his ankles behind my back, let him slide down and before he touches the ground i grab him up through my legs and throw him back over my shoulder and do it again and again. I cannot do the pushups much less with him on my back, but i use him to do curls for his enjoyment and my exercise. :)
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do lifting at home, mainly sticking to the made multi joint exercises. I find it easy to work into my day to day life.
  • Marcillene
    Options