Low card diet help?

Options
I will be starting a low carb diet tomorrow. I have never done this one before so I need ideas for meals/snacks to make that are not overly expensive! Thanks(:

Replies

• ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    I prefer the Aces High diet, but to each their own.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    That one 'suits' me too.
  • MrzHelloKittyyy
    Options
    What exactly is that?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I will be starting a low card diet tomorrow. I have never done this one before so I need ideas for meals/snacks to make that are not overly expensive! Thanks(:

Are you going low carb / high fat?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    why.....
    i mean if you wanna feel tired and grouchy all the time, have cravings and snap at people go for it but...
    yeah
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the card jokes

Kitty, you said "card" in both your subject line and your post. I think you mean Low CarB?
  • Benefitss
    Options
    Are you tracking carbs or net carbs? Be careful because of a lot of low carbs are higher in fat content and if watching net carbs and your subtracting sugar alcohols you could end up in the bathroom all day. Are you following a certain type of diet like Atkins?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    why.....
    i mean if you wanna feel tired and grouchy all the time, have cravings and snap at people go for it but...
    yeah

man your a supportive sole aren't you.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Card?
    I thought it was just a typo, but you said it twice....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    So. Posted in "Recipes" ...is this a recipe card?

:confused:
  • MrzHelloKittyyy
    Options
    I have a terrible eating habit and I have tried other diets with no success and I have had a bout 10 people tell me they are doing the low carb diet. So.. I thought I would give it a try and see if that would help me and as far as the low carb/high fat I am not quite sure I am trying to research the diet to see what I need to be focused on doing since I have never done this before.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I will be starting a low card diet tomorrow. I have never done this one before so I need ideas for meals/snacks to make that are not overly expensive! Thanks(:

Experiment with it. But your best bet is lots of healthy veg (some starchy foods like sweet potato)

Steer clear of grains and sugar.

Eat plenty of protein (meat, eggs, nuts) are a great source. Stay away from trans fats.

Fruit is good to snack on too.

Drop the carbs and you'll be a happier person for it.

remember the transformation from high carbs to low carbs can leave you a bit groggy for about week, but once your fat burning as a main fuel as opposed glucose you will be finding eating in deficit a doddle.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible eating habit and I have tried other diets with no success and I have had a bout 10 people tell me they are doing the low carb diet. So.. I thought I would give it a try and see if that would help me and as far as the low carb/high fat I am not quite sure I am trying to research the diet to see what I need to be focused on doing since I have never done this before.

Carbs are pretty important to you - the weight you lose will mostly be water, since carbs cause your digestive system to hold a few pounds of water to help process the carbs. You really need to take care if you choose to do this.

You can google low carb diets.
  • MrzHelloKittyyy
    Options
    did not mean card.. I meant carb and counting carbs not net carbs.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I would suggest not going too low on your carbs though, especially to begin with. 100 - 150g (depending on you weight) is about right.

If you go under 50g you will be entering into the ketosis zone. Great for intermittent fasting but not so great on a sustain basis.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Carbs are pretty important to you - the weight you lose will mostly be water, since carbs cause your digestive system to hold a few pounds of water to help process the carbs. You really need to take care if you choose to do this.

You can google low carb diets.

Carbs are relatively important for a health and balanced diet. However, of the 3 main macronutrients carbs are the only one you can comfortably live without.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Aces High diet, but to each their own.

no i think the chase the ace diet is pretty good. I mean you get all that exercise chasing aces....
  • MrzHelloKittyyy
    Options
    Okay, I am going to do some more research and see what I can figure out.
  • MrzHelloKittyyy
    Options
    I have tried looking at the aces high diet but it keeps bringing up diet pills?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip would be to do lots of reading before you start on a low carb diet. There's a lot of misinformation on this subject out there, particularly in these forums where most people do not follow these diets nor do they understand these diets. For example, it's the depletion of your muscle glycogen that causes the initial loss of water weight, not your digestion system holding on to extra water. You really should do a lot of reading and try to understand the pros/cons of low carb diets before you start one and you should also consider whether this is something you want to do for the next few months. If not, I definitely would not recommend you consider a ketogenic diet. On the other hand, if "low carb" to you simply means a lower carb macro, then you could just try doing IIFYM and setting your carb macro to 100-150g/day. You can still get the benefit of eating highly satiating foods this way while not having to deal with being in a state of ketosis (for better or for worse).

I'm always leery to recommend people go to other sites/forums, but if you need a place to start reading on ketogenic diets, I would recommend checking out the /r/keto and better yet /r/ketogains on Reddit and read the FAQs. There's a lot of good information in there and there are some calculators you can use to help figure out what macros you should be aiming for.