Am I being paranoid or unreasonable?

Options
So, at first I just thought that I was being finicky. But now I am not so sure.

We order out as a group at work, and our secretary orders for us. I generally try not to order out, and bring my own lunch 90% of the time. It just seems like every time I have our secretary order for me, maybe she messes up my order on purpose? Am I being paranoid?

For instance, I ordered a grilled chicken salad with dressing on the side, and she ordered a fried chicken salad with dressing.

I ordered beef with broccoli with no sauce, or sauce on the side, and she ordered beef with broccoli with extra sauce.

(These are only two examples, btw)

It seems like every time I try to order something on the healthier side, she orders it with extra condiments or fried. Like I said, I generally don't have her order for me, but there are some times when we order out as an entire department and I really don't want to look petty and get my own take-out.

What can I do? Part of me doesn't think she is doing it on purpose, but then when I specifically ask for one thing and I get another, I can't help but wonder?

Replies

• PicoBoulevard
    PicoBoulevard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Take lots of steps to prevent her from doing this again. Write down your order and give it to her. When you do, mention that she's gotten most of your orders wrong in the past, and you are watching your calories so it's important she get it right. If she mis-orders yet again, ask for your money back.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    With such a large order (assuming your office has more than 10 workers), it's more likely that the take out place made the order wrong.

I've ordered things with the most simple modifications and some how very reputable restaurants manage to mess it up. If it was everyday, I'd say something, but since you bring your own food 90% of the time, I'd just let it slide, or maybe ask another co-worker if they receive the incorrect order sometimes?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    So, at first I just thought that I was being finicky. But now I am not so sure.

We order out as a group at work, and our secretary orders for us. I generally try not to order out, and bring my own lunch 90% of the time. It just seems like every time I have our secretary order for me, maybe she messes up my order on purpose? Am I being paranoid?

For instance, I ordered a grilled chicken salad with dressing on the side, and she ordered a fried chicken salad with dressing.

I ordered beef with broccoli with no sauce, or sauce on the side, and she ordered beef with broccoli with extra sauce.

(These are only two examples, btw)

It seems like every time I try to order something on the healthier side, she orders it with extra condiments or fried. Like I said, I generally don't have her order for me, but there are some times when we order out as an entire department and I really don't want to look petty and get my own take-out.

What can I do? Part of me doesn't think she is doing it on purpose, but then when I specifically ask for one thing and I get another, I can't help but wonder?

I wouldn't even worry about it, probably a mistake anyhow or she's really dumb and can't write something down properly.

I do IT work for an oil / gas company and EVERYONE here eats fast food, cookies, pop ALL DAY LONG.

They freak out when I pull my lunch out and it has grilled chicken, yogurt, veggies, and a protein bar. (I eat like a bro for lunch & breakfast to meet my protein needs).

Start bringing your own lunch. It's cheaper and actually easier if you mass prep it on a Sunday evening.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's usually 6-8 of us ordering, and it is always wrong even if I write it down. That's why I am questioning it, unfortunately.
  • chelso0o
    Options
    Oh I usually do bring my lunch. People ALWAYS comment on my "healthy lunch" There's just that small percentage of time when A) I haven't gone to the grocery store and don't have anything in the fridge or B) Leave the house and forget my lunch on the counter C) other weird life situations
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'd just talk to her about it. If she ordered fried chicken last time around, specifically ask to make sure she orders grilled chicken this time and asks them put your dressing on the side. I think the idea to write it down is a good one. I've found our admins are great at accommodating special requests when picking up lunch for the group, but you just have to talk to them about it and ask nicely. If the order is screwed up, bring it to their attention.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    You can offer to place the order.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Could you tell her you aren't quite sure what you want and that you want to call and place the order to ask a question? Then you will know if it's the restaurant making the mistake.
  • plkbplkb
    Options
    If it always happens, don't eat it and don't pay for it. That should stop the "mis-ordering" after a few times.
  • chelso0o
    Options
    Could you tell her you aren't quite sure what you want and that you want to call and place the order to ask a question? Then you will know if it's the restaurant making the mistake.

This is a great idea! ::She would most definietly get offended if I placed the order myself::. She is sort of like "the mom" of the department, and likes to "take care" of us. So, any attempt to try to order lunch on our own would NOT go over well.

Thank you for the idea!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried calmly and politely telling her," I am counting calories, so can you please make sure you order mine with these specifications? I know you have several orders to juggle, but I would really appreciate it." If she still screws it up, then if would make other lunch arrangements. Some people don't realize that ordering something for someone that will taste better is not necessarily doing them any favors.
  • TwirleySlims
    Options
    You can offer to place the order.

Awesome solution! :D
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Jason's Deli in your area? They have a feature online where you or your secretary could just set up a group order, email everyone the link, and each person gets to go in and place your their own order for the group delivery, and pay. Really easy and efficient! Recently we've started ordering online to save her the time spent trying to manage all our orders and it works great. There are other restaurants in our area that do online group orders. If you have some in your area everyone might appreciate if you suggest it :-)
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options

This is a great idea! She would most definintely get offended if I placed the order myself. She is sort of like "the mom" of the department, and likes to "take care" of us. So, any attempt to try to order lunch on our own would NOT go over well.

Thank you for the idea!!

If she is like the mum of the dept, when you place your next order tell her that the supplier has got it wrong before and when she picks up the order / or its delievered ask if she would not mind double checking that they have it correct so that they can take it back and correct it.

This way you are seen to be blaming the supplier and not her as well as enhancing her feeling of authority and "mum-ness" that she quite obviously feels she needs.

If there is any question, just say you have a high colesteral level and you have to keep it in check. For me it the truth and it soon stops any comments about my "boring ham salad".
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If it's a problem, you need to start ordering your own food. Ask her to transfer the call to you or something to that effect.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It could be restaurant or the admin making the mistake, so I personally wouldn't make waves unless I had evidence that it was her screwing it up. I would write it down, and when giving it to her ask her to please double check to make sure the restaurant understands the order, as your past orders have been incorrect. That way the issue has been addressed without pointing any fingers. I would not mention that you are on a diet or watching what you eat, that just makes people think what you eat is now an open topic for discussion.
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

This is a great idea! She would most definintely get offended if I placed the order myself. She is sort of like "the mom" of the department, and likes to "take care" of us. So, any attempt to try to order lunch on our own would NOT go over well.

Thank you for the idea!!

If she is like the mum of the dept, when you place your next order tell her that the supplier has got it wrong before and when she picks up the order / or its delievered ask if she would not mind double checking that they have it correct so that they can take it back and correct it.

This way you are seen to be blaming the supplier and not her as well as enhancing her feeling of authority and "mum-ness" that she quite obviously feels she needs.

If there is any question, just say you have a high colesteral level and you have to keep it in check. For me it the truth and it soon stops any comments about my "boring ham salad".

Great idea!