Cardio vs Strenght training

Options
Hi all! I am returning to MFP after reaching my goal weight at the end of last year and than falling back in to old habits of unhealthy eatings and neglecting my work outs. My question is, after just about two weeks in to my workouts again, I have been having some curiosity of whether I can obtain my fitness goals with just strength training that includes lots of squats, box jumps, etc. I enjoy running so I wouldnt completely be void of the cardio but I have been seeing so many of my friends get awesome results from mostly lifting. For someone just starting out again is it beneficial to still have quite a bit of cardio in my routine or can I focus more on lifting and still get back to my goal weight. I have about 60 pounds Id like to lose. Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Most of my female friends on here strictly weight lift. It's definitely possible. Pick up New Rules of Lifting for Women, or look up Strong Lifts 5x5, etc. Good luck !
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am returning to MFP after reaching my goal weight at the end of last year and than falling back in to old habits of unhealthy eatings and neglecting my work outs. My question is, after just about two weeks in to my workouts again, I have been having some curiosity of whether I can obtain my fitness goals with just strength training that includes lots of squats, box jumps, etc. I enjoy running so I wouldnt completely be void of the cardio but I have been seeing so many of my friends get awesome results from mostly lifting. For someone just starting out again is it beneficial to still have quite a bit of cardio in my routine or can I focus more on lifting and still get back to my goal weight. I have about 60 pounds Id like to lose. Any input is appreciated!

Here's the, largely, unspoken truth about weight loss - 80% of your results are going to come from nutrition. The exercise program you follow is only important in the sense that it must be something you enjoy enough to stick with it and be consistent.

That said, building strength can make your body more efficient at burning calories. It also has the side benefit, particularly with women, of instilling greater confidence (if you're strong, you feel strong), which can keep you motivated. If you like running and enjoy doing it, keep running. If you want to try resistance training, give it a shot. Lots of people have great success by alternating weight lifting days with running days. But make sure you have someone show you proper form before you do any weight lifting.

-Tex
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Kinda depends on the fitness goals. If you want to lift more weight, lift. If you want to run farther or faster, run. If you just want to lose weight, lift, eat deficit, get enough protein, and throw in some cardio if you want to.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If you do want to look into Strength training (which I highly recommend) here is a great link!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Here's the, largely, unspoken truth about weight loss - 80% of your results are going to come from nutrition. The exercise program you follow is only important in the sense that it must be something you enjoy enough to stick with it and be consistent.
    This is the important thing. I learned early on I couldn't outrun a folk, and only maintained my weight until I started tracking my food.

Weight train to retain lean mass (muscle) as you lose weight, keep your bone density, and strength. Do cardio exercises because you enjoy them, for the cardiovascular benefits, and because they help you build a deficit while still being able to eat a decent amount. Lifting is also beneficial to your running and helping to prevent injury. My knee doctor was quite happy to hear I was doing deadlifts and squats in addition to running.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of both strength and cardio will help you. :smile:
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This is the important thing. I learned early on I couldn't outrun a folk, and only maintained my weight until I started tracking my food.

Weight train to retain lean mass (muscle) as you lose weight, keep your bone density, and strength. Do cardio exercises because you enjoy them, for the cardiovascular benefits, and because they help you build a deficit while still being able to eat a decent amount. Lifting is also beneficial to your running and helping to prevent injury. My knee doctor was quite happy to hear I was doing deadlifts and squats in addition to running.

This. It's a moderation situation, not an either or situation.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    I don't know the answer but what I do know is that I love Zumba and running, I also do bootcamp, which I'm learning to love. I like to do different things to keep me going. I down hill ski in the winter and have 2 large dogs that I walk all year...anything that keeps you moving will get you to your goal as long as you keep doing them! That's the key, so do what you love!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I say a balanced routine of Cardio/Weights/Stretch is the best way to go. They are all interlated. Cardio is always necessary for heart lungs, etc. Muscles LOVES weight training. Stretch helps to make your muscles stronger.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardio bunny who likes to lift. haha

I think you can incorporate cardio with strength.
    Things like Box Jumps, Jump squats, Mtn. Climbers,, Plank Jacks, Burpees can be quite beneficial.
  • staceyandkarl
    Options
    Hello there i am new to this so dont know where to post my questions well what i would like to know is if i ate 2 boiled eggs in 2 bread and little butter, and 2 small sausages and 1 choc dogestive buiscuite then cross train for 30-40 mins will that effect my weight loss ? also will be eating chicken veg and boiled potatoes for dinner once done with gravy i have also taken a capsiplex this morning. i dont usually eat like that but i suppose today i had those cravings if someone could help me i will be so grateful i would just like to know weather i should exersise or would it not do nothing and just do it tomorrow many thanks xx
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    It's not an either or nor is it a this vs that thing.

It's whatever YOU want to do depending on what your goals are. There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to ONLY do cardio or ONLY lift weights.

I do both.

I do 30 min of cardio followed by an hour of lifting every day because I like cardio and I like lifting.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Only lifting will make you look better than only running in my opinion. A combination of the two is the best. Just make sure you get enough protein and recovery.

Also cardio should be done after your lifting or at separate times because lifting is more strenuous.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too! I'm doing a combination of both currently.
  • staceyandkarl
    Options
    i have an elipicictal cross trainer i should have said that. and i do want to go on it just feel like ive set myself back have i by eating those types of foods? x
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't help but think the combination of the two will help, with more of an emphasis on resistance training
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals?
    Without knowing that you are just going to everyone's personal bias.
  • shicken684
    Options
    I've done both. I was a cardio *kitten* two years ago and I lost a lot of weight doing it. However, I got bored with it and got fat again. I've been primarily weight lifting for the past 3 months and I feel much better than I ever did with the cardio. I'm still about 50 pounds away from my goal but I feel better than I did. With strength training, it's almost all diet. Running 5-10 miles a day will allow you to eat a good amount of food since you just burnt off 800 calories on your run. Strength training for an hour will burn off 200 calories if you are really going at it. Your diet has to be strict if you want to lose weight.

Find what you enjoy doing, what makes you happy, and stick with it. As always, count your calories and adjust your diet based on what your personal goals are.
  • staceyandkarl
    Options
    thanks
  • BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want and have fun! If you do workouts that you hate, you won't be exercising for very long. Any any workout is better than no workout.