Low card diet help?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible eating habit and I have tried other diets with no success and I have had a bout 10 people tell me they are doing the low carb diet. So.. I thought I would give it a try and see if that would help me and as far as the low carb/high fat I am not quite sure I am trying to research the diet to see what I need to be focused on doing since I have never done this before.

Carbs are pretty important to you - the weight you lose will mostly be water, since carbs cause your digestive system to hold a few pounds of water to help process the carbs. You really need to take care if you choose to do this.

You can google low carb diets.

Carbs are relatively important for a health and balanced diet. However, of the 3 main macronutrients carbs are the only one you can comfortably live without.

"without" is a tough plan to follow. I think people who feel they are out of control sweet eaters or bread freaks can do well with a LOWER carb limit - like you said in your other post.

My calorie goal i1 around 1700 and I usually hit around 125g of carbs - 100-150g is my happy place. That would be "low-carb" to some and "high carb" to the Keto crowd.

She needs to refine her parameters. It is a good way to stay away from excess sweets and grains.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I have tried looking at the aces high diet but it keeps bringing up diet pills?

There is no ace's high diet (it was a low card related joke).

If you really are interested in low carb / high fat look at the Primal Blue print.

With any diet though ease into to.
  • kgoulbourne
    Options
    Get the book the 17 day diet, starts low carb, low fat, high protien and then reintroduces healthy carbs. Teaches you to eat cleaner and accept a cheat day here and there. Good Luck!!
  • MrzHelloKittyyy
    Options
    Okay thanks I will check that out.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    For example, it's the depletion of your muscle glycogen that causes the initial loss of water weight, not your digestion system holding on to extra water.

Well, technically, it's both.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I will be starting a low card diet tomorrow. I have never done this one before so I need ideas for meals/snacks to make that are not overly expensive! Thanks(:

Experiment with it. But your best bet is lots of healthy veg (some starchy foods like sweet potato)

Steer clear of grains and sugar.

Eat plenty of protein (meat, eggs, nuts) are a great source. Stay away from trans fats.

Fruit is good to snack on too.

Drop the carbs and you'll be a happier person for it.

remember the transformation from high carbs to low carbs can leave you a bit groggy for about week, but once your fat burning as a main fuel as opposed glucose you will be finding eating in deficit a doddle.

^^^ This

Best way to go - you will get the "Carb Flu" and feel funky around day 5 - but it will pass - drink LOADS of water - make sure you really are getting enough protein and believe it or not salt. Loads of people have success - Good Luck
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible eating habit and I have tried other diets with no success and I have had a bout 10 people tell me they are doing the low carb diet. So.. I thought I would give it a try and see if that would help me and as far as the low carb/high fat I am not quite sure I am trying to research the diet to see what I need to be focused on doing since I have never done this before.

Carbs are pretty important to you - the weight you lose will mostly be water, since carbs cause your digestive system to hold a few pounds of water to help process the carbs. You really need to take care if you choose to do this.

Carbs are relatively important for a health and balanced diet. However, of the 3 main macronutrients carbs are the only one you can comfortably live without.

you can survive without them, but you can't life comfortably without them, especially if you have to do any physical activity, which humans have needed to do to survive in every era other than the present one.

Anyway, the aim here is optimal health, not mere survival. That's what i really don't get about some of these diets... their best defence is "it's not absolutely necessary for survival"........... ya know I have higher standards and expectations for myself than just barely surviving.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

"without" is a tough plan to follow. I think people who feel they are out of control sweet eaters or bread freaks can do well with a LOWER carb limit - like you said in your other post.

My calorie goal i1 around 1700 and I usually hit around 125g of carbs - 100-150g is my happy place. That would be "low-carb" to some and "high carb" to the Keto crowd.

She needs to refine her parameters. It is a good way to stay away from excess sweets and grains.

Agreed. I'm also about the 125g carb mark.

I do intermittent fast every so often (which is great for weight loss) but not for long enough periods that I hit proper ketosis. I like my sweet potato too much (oh and red wine).

I would definitely advice protein as the main macronutrient. It will ensure that the weight loss on a calorie deficit diet doesn't come from lean mass. and comes from body fat.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

you can survive without them, but you can't life comfortably without them, especially if you have to do any physical activity, which humans have needed to do to survive in every era other than the present one.

Anyway, the aim here is optimal health, not mere survival. That's what i really don't get about some of these diets... their best defence is "it's not absolutely necessary for survival"........... ya know I have higher standards and expectations for myself than just barely surviving.

I'm not advocating no carb (read my earlier comment).
  • cmriverside
    Options

I do intermittent fast every so often (which is great for weight loss) but not for long enough periods that I hit proper ketosis. I like my sweet potato too much (oh and red wine).

I would definitely advice protein as the main macronutrient. It will ensure that the weight loss on a calorie deficit diet doesn't come from lean mass. and comes from body fat.

I've been IF for two years. 16:8 is my natural eating comfort zone. Two big meals. I maintain my weight easily and naturally this way, on the 125ish carbs.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    There's always a Joker in the pack :-p
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I've been IF for two years. 16:8 is my natural eating comfort zone. Two big meals. I maintain my weight easily and naturally this way, on the 125ish carbs.

Sounds good.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

If your physical activity is less than 75% max effort you'll be fuelling via ketones.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    There is a lot of disinformation, so if you want to go low carb go the Atkins site and get a free starter kit and get advice there on their protocols. Atkins is NOT a no carb diet, it is a low carb lifestyle. Low carb could be 25,50,75,100 or more grams. Not ZERO>. And once you learn about the substitute foods for flour (almond flour), pasta (spagetti squash), and sugar (splenda) there is little sacrifice or cravings.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    There is a lot of disinformation, so if you want to go low carb go the Atkins site and get a free starter kit and get advice there on their protocols. Atkins is NOT a no carb diet, it is a low carb lifestyle. Low carb could be 25,50,75,100 or more grams. Not ZERO>. And once you learn about the substitute foods for flour (almond flour), pasta (spagetti squash), and sugar (splenda) there is little sacrifice or cravings.

Do you guys use coconut oils and creams as well?
  • hpaige28
    hpaige28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I myself have tried many different diets. I am not sure what clicked with my this time but cutting out breads, crackers, rice & pasta has helped. If a recipie I like calls for rice, I try to make it with out. Or I make a coliflower dish. Such as Cauliflower au gratin. I Make chili without the beans and add lots of veggies. The key is to keep it low carb as possible. And sure it may still be high fat. For me that seems to be okay. A lot of times it is trial and error. I love Joseph's Middle East Bakery
    Reduced Carb/Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Tortillas. It only has 11g of carbs for the whole tortilla and I have this instead of bread when I want a bread craving. I also still have popcorn. I would look at the Paleo Recipie Sites for recipie ideas. As I said whatever I am doing seems to be working. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I myself have tried many different diets. I am not sure what clicked with my this time but cutting out breads, crackers, rice & pasta has helped. If a recipie I like calls for rice, I try to make it with out. Or I make a coliflower dish. Such as Cauliflower au gratin. I Make chili without the beans and add lots of veggies. The key is to keep it low carb as possible. And sure it may still be high fat. For me that seems to be okay. A lot of times it is trial and error. I love Joseph's Middle East Bakery
    Reduced Carb/Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Tortillas. It only has 11g of carbs for the whole tortilla and I have this instead of bread when I want a bread craving. I also still have popcorn. I would look at the Paleo Recipie Sites for recipie ideas. As I said whatever I am doing seems to be working. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

That's great keep with it. Your chilli with veggies sounds good: smile:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    some of my go to ideas when I am cutting carbs -

eggs (hardboiled are easy to take on the go)
    turkey lunchmeat wrapped around a pickle is a good snack
    string cheese
    old wisconson sausage sticks (eat with the string cheese if you want)
    tuna can be your best friend, put it on a salad or eat it on cucumbers, a few crackers, an open faces sandwich
    lots and lots of veggies
    nuts
    peanut butter - go back to you kid days and make ants on a log!

make sure you eat plenty of veggies and fiber or else you might end up getting constipated (sorry but its true)
    drink plenty of water and watch your sodium intake, alot of quick to grab meats (lunchmeat, the sausage sticks I mentioned above) are high in salt

you do still need to count calories, alot of low carb stuff is still very calorie dense, especially nuts/peanut butter - these things add up fast and can eliminate losses too

don't go to low- I went all atkins diet one time and did the induction phase - I was completely miserable on 20 carbs a day and pretty much felt like I had the flue, not worth it! 75-100 seems to be a good place to shoot for.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    some of my go to ideas when I am cutting carbs -

eggs (hardboiled are easy to take on the go)
    turkey lunchmeat wrapped around a pickle is a good snack
    string cheese
    old wisconson sausage sticks (eat with the string cheese if you want)
    tuna can be your best friend, put it on a salad or eat it on cucumbers, a few crackers, an open faces sandwich
    lots and lots of veggies
    nuts
    peanut butter - go back to you kid days and make ants on a log!

make sure you eat plenty of veggies and fiber or else you might end up getting constipated (sorry but its true)
    drink plenty of water and watch your sodium intake, alot of quick to grab meats (lunchmeat, the sausage sticks I mentioned above) are high in salt

you do still need to count calories, alot of low carb stuff is still very calorie dense, especially nuts/peanut butter - these things add up fast and can eliminate losses too

don't go to low- I went all atkins diet one time and did the induction phase - I was completely miserable on 20 carbs a day and pretty much felt like I had the flue, not worth it! 75-100 seems to be a good place to shoot for.

What the hell are old Wisconsin sausage sticks (they sound great) - do they sell them in the UK?