Im confused!

Options
Hi guys ok i've just started using this site & i plan on using it religiously BUT im obsessing over my food intake. So for example im allowed up to 1500 a day, what happens if I endup using consuming 900 out of the 1500 of my daily calorie goal?

Replies

• shawnnshinta
    shawnnshinta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    if you intered all answers and the result was that you can consume up to 1500 calories per day, then you can eat that much and still loose the weight you desire.
    try not to eat only 900 cals per day, it's bad for you.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You will be in starvation mode. Remember....MFP builds in a calorie deficit based on what you told it about lifestyle and goals. So if you said 1 lb a week say, and it tells you 1500, you are actually using 2000. One day like that, no problem. Multiple days and you are slowing your metabolism. Women should NEVER eat less than 1200 and men I think is like 1400 or 1500. So add in some more small snacks to get those calories up.
  • Owen87
    Options
    The 1500 is what you should be eating, daily. When you signed up and answered the questions about your gender, height, activity levels etc. the site calculated the calories you use for maintenance, then took away 500 calories per day so you lose healthy weight = ie FAT, not muscle.

So if you're only eating 900 calories a day, you're actually not eating ENOUGH to healthily lose weight!

The scale will say otherwise, but you'll be losing muscle mass too, which you DON'T want.

So try to get your daily calories as close to the 1500 mark as possible, and make sure you get ample amounts of protein with each meal so you don't lose any of that hard earned muscle.

Good luck!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    You need to make sure that you have at the very minimum 1200 calories after you factor in your exercise. That means if you eat 1300 and then burn 200 you still need to eat another 100 calories. This will ensure that your metabolism continues to function properly.

It is recommended that you follow the daily recommended amount given by MFP. I personally try to never go more than 200-300 under the daily recommended with exercise factored in.

Remember that this is not just about losing weight (a common trap) but also about ensuring that you have a healthy body. A healthy body needs fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, dairy, lean meats (or other protein) and the more unprocessed food you can give yourself the better. Also this time of year it's best to try to get your full daily allowance of vitamin C and D. If you're a woman you need to also make sure you are getting the calcium and iron you need.

Keeping up with the calories is a good idea, starving yourself or losing weight through malnutrition is not. Also remember that this is a lifetime change you want to make so be sure that your meals and snacks are things you can see yourself eating for the rest of your life.

Good luck!
  • djuboori19
    Options
    Thank you sooooooo much. That all really made ALOT of sense. I just really begin to obsess so even though im having really big filling meals im opting for fat free,low calorie foods.

So for example if i had half a tomato, a hard boiled egg, some cumcumbers and green tea for breakfast. Lunch would be chicken, lots of steamed veg and baby potatoes. Dinner would be a nice big home made soup (eg: tomato and cabbage soup) & maybe some fruit. Its all really filling dont get me wrong. I do feel a little hungry, but isn't that normal wen ur losing weight?
  • djuboori19
    Options
    Do you recommend any calcium or iron supplements?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Read this , it helped me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

especially the the BMI bit as my BMI is 26.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Another important read is about exercise calories:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

And on expectations:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations?hl=expectations

I think those three should answer most of the question that new people usually have.

Welcome aboard!
    You'll do great! :flowerforyou:
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I like about MFP is that every day is a new day. I have had days where I fall asleep while tucking in my son and don't eat dinner This puts me too far below my calorie goal for the day. But, you just shake this off and move on to the next day.

I wouldn't obsess about a handful of days over or under your MFP goals, but I wouldn't try to undercut the MFP goals on a regular basis. For me, it is getting a string of weeks and months together where MOST of the days are about where they need to be for my goals.

Best of luck!!!

--Carter
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Most likely, you'll be very, very hungry.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Do you recommend any calcium or iron supplements?

Although women do require more iron than men, I wouldn't recommend taking iron supplements unless your doctor told you to take them. I thought I was low and bought some, but when I began tracking my iron, I noticed that on most days I get almost twice the recommended amount without trying. That's not dangerous but I definitely don't need any supplements! Too much iron can cause trouble with your liver.. The daily need is about 9 mg a day for men and 15 for women.

As for calcium, two glasses of fat free milk a day will cover the daily need for it. Just don't drink it with your meals. Calcium inhibits iron from being digested so it's better to have them separately. Same goes if you end up taking supplements. Don't take them together.