Question about eating too much fat!

Options
Hi everyone!

This might seem like a silly question, but here goes.

Today I was under my 1200 calorie goal. However my daily fat goal is 40g and today I ate 62g of fat. Will going over my goals on fat cause me to gain weight?

I also have just one more question-

If I eat healthily but don't do much exercise, will my muscle mass decrease? I've not been hitting my protein goals recently and wondered if this could cause me to lose muscle mass. I really don't want to lose any muscle, just fat! So should I up my protein or is it not really necessary?

Thanks for your time fellow MFPers! :D

Replies

• cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're within your calorie goal. In fact, for someone like me with metabolic issues, I worry more about too many carbs than fat. Just watch what types of fats you're eating. Yes to natural fats...even animal fats if you eat meat and not so much to processed or man-made fats.

As for muscle mass, I don't know that it will necessarily decrease as long as you're getting all the nutrients you need. That said, over time, if we don't work out, everyone loses muscle mass as we age, regardless of what we eat.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about an appropriate calorie deficit for your age/height/weight. Calories, calories, calories :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Today I was under my 1200 calorie goal. However my daily fat goal is 40g and today I ate 62g of fat. Will going over my goals on fat cause me to gain weight?

Generally speaking, no.

If I eat healthily but don't do much exercise, will my muscle mass decrease? I've not been hitting my protein goals recently and wondered if this could cause me to lose muscle mass. I really don't want to lose any muscle, just fat! So should I up my protein or is it not really necessary?

Protein. Otherwise you will lose muscle mass. My question is why aren't you exercising?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Yes, there is a very good chance you will lose muscle mass if 1200 is below your BMR and you are not eating enough protein.
  • hoosierxheart
    hoosierxheart Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :smile: Sorry...just realized my post wasn't answering your question. So I deleted it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If eating too much fat caused weight gain, I would be as big as a house! I eat over 100 grams of fat a day. I also eat low carb and am eating in a deficit. Over-consumption of fat doesn't make you fat. Overconsumption of calories in general paired with no movement does.

So you're fine! Fat is also good for you.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you are eating below 1200 (quite honestly 1200 is too low anyway) you are eating way below your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate- What it takes to run your heart, lungs, brain etc.). For example, my BMR is 1500. If I eat below that, my body will take the EASIEST thing to convert to energy, which is muscle, and "eat" it first. Honestly, there are HUNDREDS of posts by people way more versed than I am in this area. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less and this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

Good luck!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it matters how much protein you eat on whether you maintain muscle during weight loss, if you don't exercise. I know I mentioned that as a concern to my nutritionist and she basically just suggested strength training, since a shockingly high proportion of the weight you lose will be muscle mass without it. After all, you're carrying less so you don't need the muscles. With muscles, it's really a "Use it or lose it" sort of thing. Your body only maintains what you need, regardless of how much protein you eat.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

No. That's quite a low goal. Eating fat isn't what makes one fat, anyway.

You don't seem to be eating all that healthfully (the 7 chocolate biscuits for lunch today, nothing but potatoes and butter for lunch another day, lots of starch, little protein). It's hard to tell for sure, though. You don't log regularly, and some of the database entries are obviously invalid (an Aldi granary roll with no carbs, no fat and no protein; Chinese takeaway with no sodium).

As little protein as you eat, and with no strength training, you will lose significant muscle. Your body needs protein, and will take it from your muscles if you aren't eating enough of it.
  • Heartcorecuteness
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Yes, there is a very good chance you will lose muscle mass if 1200 is below your BMR and you are not eating enough protein.

Ahhh ****. More protein it is then!
  • Heartcorecuteness
    Options
    IMO, if you are eating below 1200 (quite honestly 1200 is too low anyway) you are eating way below your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate- What it takes to run your heart, lungs, brain etc.). For example, my BMR is 1500. If I eat below that, my body will take the EASIEST thing to convert to energy, which is muscle, and "eat" it first. Honestly, there are HUNDREDS of posts by people way more versed than I am in this area. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less and this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for your advice, I actually didn't realize that. My BMR is 1400 so I'll stick to that as a guideline!
  • Heartcorecuteness
    Options

No. That's quite a low goal. Eating fat isn't what makes one fat, anyway.

You don't seem to be eating all that healthfully (the 7 chocolate biscuits for lunch today, nothing but potatoes and butter for lunch another day, lots of starch, little protein). It's hard to tell for sure, though. You don't log regularly, and some of the database entries are obviously invalid (an Aldi granary roll with no carbs, no fat and no protein; Chinese takeaway with no sodium).

As little protein as you eat, and with no strength training, you will lose significant muscle. Your body needs protein, and will take it from your muscles if you aren't eating enough of it.

Ah yes. I've been pretty out of control recently! Damn, put like that, it sounds kinda scary. I need to look at more vegetarian protein sources then. Beans, kale, leafy greens? Check! Sometimes I really do need a kick up the *kitten*. I knew I wasn't eating enough protein but I thought it might be fine. I will definitely take your advice! Thanks!
  • mypersonalfitnessjourney
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat; excess carbs do.

Carbs_Are_Killing_You.png

Edit: The entire image doesn't fit in the post box. It can be viewed here: http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/files/2012/08/Carbs_Are_Killing_You.png
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for your advice, I actually didn't realize that. My BMR is 1400 so I'll stick to that as a guideline!

Your BMR is the least amount of calories your body woukd consume if you were in a coma. Your TDEE-20% is higher than that.

You should try this calculator to get an idea of how much you should be eatting in calories: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • silken555
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat; excess carbs

Edit: The entire image doesn't fit in the post box. It can be viewed here: http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/files/2012/08/Carbs_Are_Killing_You.png

Good god. That's the biggest piece of rubbish ever. Excess ANYTHING causes weight gain. Carbs are an essential macro for your body.

Stop fear mongering!
  • Cami37
    Cami37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you don't do some kind of exercise you jeopardize your muscle. It doesn't have to be heavy and you only have to do it 3 times a week. Watching what you eat will help you with that number on the scale but exercising will be the difference between a tight, toned body or a skinny-fat body. Hope this makes sense.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Ah yes. I've been pretty out of control recently! Damn, put like that, it sounds kinda scary. I need to look at more vegetarian protein sources then. Beans, kale, leafy greens? Check! Sometimes I really do need a kick up the *kitten*. I knew I wasn't eating enough protein but I thought it might be fine. I will definitely take your advice! Thanks!

Not going to lie -- getting enough protein on a vegetarian (or mostly vegetarian) diet is hard work, but it's possible. Can you do yogurt, milk, eggs or nut butters? Cottage cheese and kefir are some of my favorites, too. Green leafies are good for you in so many ways, but you have to eat tons and tons of them to get any significant amount of protein. My diary should be open, so feel free to look through it for ideas if you'd like.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're within your calorie goal. In fact, for someone like me with metabolic issues, I worry more about too many carbs than fat. Just watch what types of fats you're eating. Yes to natural fats...even animal fats if you eat meat and not so much to processed or man-made fats.

As for muscle mass, I don't know that it will necessarily decrease as long as you're getting all the nutrients you need. That said, over time, if we don't work out, everyone loses muscle mass as we age, regardless of what we eat.

This ^

Fat is particularly necessary for women as it helps regulate the hormonal system. So going too low on fat is way worse than going too high. With my issues I typically have to keep my fats closer to 50% or more of my daily goal.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat; excess carbs

Good god. That's the biggest piece of rubbish ever. Excess ANYTHING causes weight gain. Carbs are an essential macro for your body.

Stop fear mongering!

It all breaks down to calories. If you take in more than you burn, you will gain weight.

That said, simple processed carbs ARE the devil, and should be avoided as much as humanly possible. They are not "an essential" anything. They digest way too quickly and cause an insulin spike, followed by a crash, and hunger about 30 minutes after. Those in ketosis have a naturally suppressed appetite and that helps immensely with calorie control.

I'll take LCHF over "essential" Wonderbread any day of the week!
  • silken555
    Options
    They're still not the devil. Food is food and demonizing any of it creates a rdiculously unhealth relationship with it. All of it has things in it our bodies can use. Funny how my body doesn't care if I eat white bread or brown (I prefer the taste of whole grain so I eat it...otherwise I wouldn't be bothered) and I'm prediabetic. I get hungry again at the exact samd rate. I had a stomach flu last week and all I could keep down after 4 days of tossing up my toenails was white bread and chef boyardi.