NSV: Ran My First Half-Marathon

Options
mhiggi02
mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
Well, 13 months into this journey I completed my first half-marathon this past weekend. I went from not being able to run to my mailbox to running 13.1 miles in just over two hours. Yes it feels good! Below is a pic at the finish line. Further below is a link to "my story".

d174c920-bcac-4ee8-97f0-9a77e71d41db.jpg

My story: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1036493-initial-goal-weight-reached-269-lbs-to-200-lbs-pics

Michael

Replies

• BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I ran my first in September and have 3 more scheduled for this year. The first one is in April. I've been traiing and am looking for assistance with "energy foods". What have you been eating to help you train?
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I'm training for my 5th and my goal is the time you just did in your first. Well done.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    That is really awesome! I hope in another 6 months I can do that as well :)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That is so great. Congrats. Big acheivement.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    this is really cool :) I like your story, and the original as well :) I am SO happy for you!!!!
  • mhiggi02
    Options
    This is a response to BeautyDoll

Hi, I've really focused on lots of protein and doing weight training 2x week in addition to running 4x week. Good luck in your training and half....let us know how it ends up,,,,great I'm sure!
  • mhiggi02
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! It's been a great experience. Got a 10K this Sat and a 10-miler the following weekend. Run on!
  • ehensarling17
    ehensarling17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's awesome!!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Congrats that is awesome, I am getting ready to run my first Half Marathon in two weeks and I am really excited and nervous at the same time
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nice going, and nice time for your first half!
  • mhiggi02
    Options
    Congrats that is awesome, I am getting ready to run my first Half Marathon in two weeks and I am really excited and nervous at the same time

I felt exactly the same way! Once I did the 12-mile long run as part of my training plan a switch flipped and I went from being nervous to excited....you'll do great!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's AMAZING!!!! Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running my first 10K on March 1st. The thought of a half-marathon terrifies me!

I'm so proud of you and I don't even know you!!! :drinker:
  • mhiggi02
    Options
    That's AMAZING!!!! Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running my first 10K on March 1st. The thought of a half-marathon terrifies me!

I'm so proud of you and I don't even know you!!! :drinker:

Don't let it terrify you, really. You'll do awesome in your 10K I'm sure. If you want to pursue a half, my recommendation would be to find 3 things: (1) a good training plan, (2) a running/training partner, and (3) commitment to your partner and plan. Do these and you will kill it!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Exciting, congrats!! I've got my first 10K on April 27 and am a little afraid.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I can't wait until I can say I've run a half. I'll get there slowly but surely.
  • mhiggi02
    Options
    Exciting, congrats!! I've got my first 10K on April 27 and am a little afraid.

Be unafraid :)

Like I mentioned before, have a plan and work it and you will kill it, training plans work!

If you don't have I recommend that you find 3 things: (1) a good training plan, (2) a running/training partner, and (3) commitment to your partner and plan. Do these and you will kill it!
  • LoveForRunning
    LoveForRunning Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Your achievement & journey makes me wanna run now LOL! Thanks for the inspiration & congratulations :drinker:
  • Trad78
    Trad78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job! Read your story, very inspiring!
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I'm struggling at week 8 of couch tom5k and your story inspires me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!