Diet pills and MFP

Options
Hi friends I was just wondering if you thought diet pills would work if paired with a lower calorie diet and exercise as MFP provides. I have some leftover pills and I was wondering if I incorporated them in my lifestyle, will that give me a boost in my weightloss?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi friends I was just wondering if you thought diet pills would work if paired with a lower calorie diet and exercise as MFP provides. I have some leftover pills and I was wondering if I incorporated them in my lifestyle, will that give me a boost in my weightloss?

Diet pills are hooey. Eat at a calorie deficit. Get some exercise. There is no secret pill. Just diligence and work.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Would entirely depend on what sort of diet pills, some are effective, many are not
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Diet pills aren't exactly a "fitness and exercise" question and I you only have a few random pills laying around, it really isn't a long term or even medium term solution. Most likely that are ineffective and if they just happened to be effective it would skew your results in a way that would make figuring out your tdee harder. Forget about them and get to work
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The goal of MFP (at least, in my opinion) is to guide you into naturally making healthier food choices that you and your body can sustain over a long period of time. That being said, I'm sure you already saw this coming : I'd advise against taking them, simply because it can lead to the feeling of dependancy on them, and when things are going great with your weight loss you won't feel as great about it if you're doing it with pills vs. doing it alone (Trust me!!) . Taking diet pills aren't really a good idea long term , (for your body, or your wallet! )therefore don't bother with using them at all , just eat at your calorie deficit and log , log, log :)

Good luck on your weight loss journey, best wishes :)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the diet pills didn't work for you in the past if you have joined MFP, so they are aren't going to work for you now either. You're here now, so do it the healthy way, e.g. eat at a deficit, improve your diet, lose weight.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Folks around these parts don't like diet pills :laugh:

Really though, don't waste your time or money. You say that you would pair it with a low calorie diet. The low calorie diet alone will result in weight loss. In my opionion, it's MUCH easier if you do it without diet pills. Some of them can be bad for your heart and most of them are ineffective. Plus, they don't teach you the healthy habits you need to maintain your weight loss. You'll likely put it back on when you run out of pills. Do the research, learn what it takes to lose the weight, and do it on your own. :flowerforyou:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The caloric deficit and workout will do it. Lose the pills. You don't need to go into a drastic deficit either. Don't starve yourself. Stick to something that you can do long term, slow and steady. Good luck on you journey.
  • Kimo0590
    Kimo0590 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks guys. Some great advice and I do believe that calorie deficit and exercise are the way to go. I just wanted to know wat to do with the spare pills I have since I have yet to trash them. Thanks for ur input everybody!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am no help on this because I only tried them once and they just made me jittery. I only used them a week.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Diet pills are hooey. Eat at a calorie deficit. Get some exercise. There is no secret pill. Just diligence and work.

This
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Some diet pills do help you shed a few pounds but they do nothing as far as teaching you how to eat...which is how you keep it off ;)
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Will lots of booze and loving help me lose weight or is that just a fun day.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No diet pills!

Eat at a deficit. Get some exercise. That is all you need.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Nope. "Diet pills" either suppress appetite or are a stimulant. If you don't learn how to suppress your appetite on your own, you'll be on pills forever. And stimulants raise you heart rate some, but it's better to do it with exercise.
    Calorie deficit and CONSISTENCY is what works for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Some diet pills do help you shed a few pounds but they do nothing as far as teaching you how to eat...which is how you keep it off ;)

This!^

Logging food & exercise will give you the tools you need (knowledge)....to keep the weight you lost from coming back.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Anything combined with a healthy diet and exercise will give you weight loss :P
    I tried them once before and got really bad side effects with them (lower back pain in the kidney area and depression) so never went near them since!
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm anti-diet pills in a big way. Most don't do anything at all. Some will give you weight loss but as soon as you quit using, you'll gain it right back. The side effects are just not worth it either. Throw them out. Keep working away at your goals. You'll get there. :)
  • marckromano
    Options
    the bad side of the diet pills is that if we get use to them, once we will start taking them, we will gain weight, and this is happen often.
    For this reason the best thing is to take diet pill but also change our diet and do some fitness. walking 30-40 minutes per day every days will be very good to start losing weight.