Which seems more accurate?

Options
Ok, I know this topic has been done but I still need help deciding where to track my exercise, on fitbit or MFP. Let me give you some information.

5'2 (don't think that matters as far as calorie burn though)
CW 178

I rode a stationary bike for 5 miles in 15 mins. When I put it in MFP it gave me a calorie burn of 141. When I put it in Fitbit it gave me a calorie burn of 243. I tried looking it up on other calorie burn calculators which pretty much gave me a range of 100-320.

I know neither will 100% accurate but I do want to get the closest possible result. I also know that a HRM would be more accurate but I really don't know if I want to invest in one since I do have the Fitbit unless I can find a pretty decent one at a fairly low price. Recommendations on those would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.

Replies

• urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When I first got my Jawbone, it exaggerated the calories burned until I calibrated it to my stride which gets it closer to my HRM calculation. I don't have a Fitbit but perhaps there's a way to calibrate that to your stride too. Although his is more applicable for walking/running, it got closer with cardio workouts too.

I highly recommend getting a HRM. Not only for calories burned, but it let's me know if I'm really pushing myself during a cardio workout or running. I strive to get in my pulse range and if I'm beyond range too long, I need to take a break. Sometimes I zone out when I'm in the 180s. Not sure how healthy that is but I suppose that's for another thread.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I would go with the lower number, as you are more likely to overestimate burns than to underestimate.
  • measem1
    measem1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think I would go with the lower number...cause it depends on how much exercision you were under. I use calorielab.com when the exercise is not on mfp. Just a suggestion and is free...Depends on the effort. For me doing 5 miles in 15 mins would be vigorous. Way to go and keep up the good work. I need to find indoor activities since it's so cold in FL right now.