Problem With Roommates

Options
lizlucas1
lizlucas1 Posts: 28 Member
Before I ask my big question, I need to go over what has occurred: me and my boyfriend (fake names: David) moved from San Diego, CA to Syracuse, NY to live with David's brother (Sam) and his girlfriend (Julie). We knew cost of living was cheaper than San Diego, and both Sam and Julie made the assurance that when we get out here, it would be a "team effort," "all finances go into the apartment, everything is done for the four of us, and so long as bills and rent get paid, employment is between the couples only." Meaning so long as things get done, he doesn't care if someone isn't working. These were all the promises given to us before we got out there, and we settled in early November, just before the blistering cold weather hit.

Between the time that we touched down and now, several things have occurred. Julie's car was the only automatic vehicle available, and it was taken off the road permanently because it wasn't going to pass inspection for re-registration. That means the car has no insurance, registration, or license plates, and driving the vehicle could mean a lot more than just an expensive ticket. Sam's car is a standard, and he is the only one who knows how to drive it. Julie gave birth in late December to hers and Sam's child, but unfortunately the baby was born with spina bifida (sp?) and Julie quit her job to become a stay-at-home mother. Julie registered for government help programs like WIC, Medicare, and Well Fare to help take care of the baby. Since November, Julie and Sam have had a total of twenty big fights which resulted in Julie packing up all of her things and ready to leave (Sam fought for days to convince her to stay, despite the fact she deliberately broke many of his and her own things) and still stayed, Sam through his phone at a work truck and damaged the windshield (resulting in a debt to his boss to replace), Sam purchased another standard vehicle with a loan through his boss (leaving more of his money being taken out of his paycheck, and I recently found out that he's doing the same thing again for another vehicle from a coworker, this one for Julie), and throughout all of this, Sam is consistently coming to my boyfriend, David, for financial help, particularly with things that are not our responsibility.

My boyfriend already had a job when we got out here, but due to weather conditions, job hunting has become extremely difficult for myself, considering that I do not have a reliable vehicle to drive for job interviews and the weather is pretty icy to walk through (I try to manage, but I've only been here for three months and it's a huge transition from Southern California weather to Upstate New York weather). A little more than two months ago, Julie started acting aggressive and hostile towards me and David, at first complaining that we were "hogging" the living room and TV, so we were able to get a TV for our room and gave her the living room. Then she started telling us to stop touching the food she buys, (which I understand that this is typical for roommates), and Sam told us we need to start buying our own groceries and keep those separate. We were fine with this, but when we ask Sam to help with a ride so we can get the groceries, he tells us no, to "figure it out." The nearest grocery store is 5 miles away and everything we need we would not be able to carry on our own, let alone in this cold snowy weather. Because Julie has the living room most of the time and I don't work, I'm inside mine and my boyfriend's bedroom nearly 24/7, (I've got BAD cabin fever), and she starts complaining to Sam that we're here all the time and never leave, (this started as soon as she had the baby).

Anytime my boyfriend tries to say something to Sam and talk about our situation, Sam tells him that he doesn't want to hear it, that he's "tired of trying to make everyone happy," and tells us to figure out our own problems. Sam also turned around and told David that now I HAVE to get a job to help support David, but David told him why now, all of a sudden? Guess what Sam said? "She needs to help you so you can help the team." By "team" he means himself and Julie. By the fact that Sam and Julie are both going against their word to us, I told David NOT to help them out anymore. Rent and the bills are not getting paid not because of us, but because of them. They wanted to give us our independence and teach us to be adults, but why are we now suddenly supporting them instead of ourselves? Me and my boyfriend don't have enough money to purchase a car of our own, (even though Sam is constantly on our *kitten* about it, going as far as to say that if David wasn't spending money like he does, he would've already had a car -- which I thought was out of line). We pretty much are reliant on Sam to give us a ride when we want to go out, but because Julie throws a fit anytime he doesn't spend time at home with her and the baby, he's suddenly changing his tune and refusing to help us. And Sam has even gone as far as to tell my boyfriend that I don't do anything around the apartment, (I stopped cleaning when Julie asked me to because doesn't "like" how I clean), and when pointed out that Julie is in the same boat as I am, he comes back and says "she's getting paid to take care of the baby at home." Wow, really?

I want to say something to both of them and tell them off, but because the lease is expired without my name on it, they can very easily throw me and my boyfriend out without a place to stay. HOWEVER, me and my boyfriend are already planning to go back to California, and when we do, I'm going to throw it in their faces that Sam and Julie will be stuck with the financial responsibility of this place, with Sam being the only income provider among the two. Julie will have what she wanted, (us gone and the second bedroom for the baby), and Sam will be able to work on any cars that he wants, but my boyfriend is ready to cut his brother out of his life completely. I would've better understood if all the boundaries and rules were explained to us BEFORE we got out here, but then we wouldn't have decided to come out here to begin with. I know how living with roommates can be, there are certain rules and guidelines that have to be explained, but that should be BEFORE anyone moves in.

So, what can me and my boyfriend, David, should do? Sam and Julie are on a power-trip and I've already told them both that the way they're treating us is the way we're going to treat them. But that isn't going to fix the dilemma me and my boyfriend are in....

Replies

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Its a tricky situation because it involves family an money together. (as a basic rule I try to never combine money with family or close friends) Life is crazy hard right now, and I totally understand the weather situation (I'm down here in Philly)! But since you and your bf are planning on leaving I would just try to wait it out and try not to continue to rock the boat. It sounds like no one is happy with the situation, so "giving them a piece of your mind" will only result in temporary satisfaction and long term awkwardness and anger in the house. Julie is under a crazy amount of stress having to handle a new baby (one of the hardest responsibilities in the world). Since finding a job is difficult right now, I would devote a good amount of my time to an exit strategy! Good luck and stick with it! Life loves to give us crazy and really hard hoops to just through. Just stay strong an put your effort into yourself, your bf, and your relationship with him. :flowerforyou:
  • Oldtimer_65
    Options
    tldr.

Cliff's notes please?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I wrote a ton but anything I really want to say makes me sound like such a jerk so I deleted it.

Bottom line is the whole "team" thing sounds cultish and is not legally binding.

I can see everyone's side to this and think everyone's kind of at fault except for maybe your boyfriend. Dunno.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    tldr.

Cliff's notes please?

OP is 22 and has a overly complicated drama filled life like every 22 year old.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you should have thought it out a lttle more before you moved in with these people.

But since you're already planning to go back to CA, what else can you do? Just stick it out until you can leave.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get out- someone's manipulating and going back on their word.

Don't even bother. GET OUT. Roommate crap is tough to deal with and not wanting to be at home- or having a crappy house/roommates is quick trip to crazy town. You want your home to be your sanctuary- not a source of stress.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    tldr.

Cliff's notes please?

I think a lot of 22 yr olds never have to go through this. They either have their act together or they're still under a parental umbrella. But honestly I feel like this thread opened my eyes to how some people end up in the situations they do.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    You moved because of cheaper cost of living.

Sounds like you were doing better in San Diego.

The ONLY solution is to leave. Rent a studio. Move out of Syracuse. Whatever it takes. Get on Craigslist and rent a room for the two of you. This sounds like a lot of trouble to go through when you pretty much only have a bed room to show for it.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    tldr.

Cliff's notes please?

I think a lot of 22 yr olds never have to go through this. They either have their act together or they're still under a parental umbrella. But honestly I feel like this thread opened my eyes to how some people end up in the situations they do.

This is true! Comments like that annoy me. When I was 22, I had graduated college, had my first real job and I was completely supporting myself and saving money. Not because anything was handed to me but because I worked my butt off to get there!

OP: Speaking your mind isn't going to help the situation at all at this point or really ever. It is an unfortunate situation but dealing with the bed that you made even unintentionally is part of life. Just deal with it the best you can and as soon as you can get out, do.
  • lizlucas1
    lizlucas1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I made this post for two very important reasons: to get some advice from outside sources, (which I received and am grateful for, thank you), and to vent, (because I can't seem to vent to anyone but my boyfriend, and that's not helping the situation).

I agree that we made this decision and should learn to deal with it, but not at a sacrifice on our part when we were told something entirely different to begin with. So, this is the conclusion I'm going to use:

We're definitely moving back to California, so in the meantime that we do, me and my boyfriend are going to stick it out, save up, and use what is given to us. At the same time, I'm going to say "F*** THE COLD!" bundle up, and go out searching for a waitressing position or retail or any job that I can get within a 2 mile radius. I'll work any job, I'm a hard worker, determined and dedicated, and while it won't be ideal for me, a job is a job, and at this point, anything that pays will do. Any job that can at least help out, and make me feel that I'm carrying my own weight when it comes to the two-man team that is me and my boyfriend, I won't complain.

I'm also going to look into saving a few month's rent and look into a studio apartment or one-bedroom apartments in San Diego, that way me and my boyfriend are not stuck in a similar situation like this. Job hunting in San Diego would be much easier for us, considering that we left my Corolla with my Mom, and she keeps welcoming us to move back and stay with her and my brother, (which will be uncomfortable, because she lives in a two-bedroom, two-story townhouse, but at the same time, there is another opportunity for living arrangements other than my Mom).

I'm going to keep my peace and not say anything, (even though at this point every time I leave the room Julie is shooting dirty looks at me and my boyfriend). Because everyone is right, she and Sam need their own space, and four adults living under one roof is not a good idea at all. It was a good idea to think about at the beginning, but the way it's played out, it's a mistake.

I'm not, however, going to disclose anything to Sam or Julie about us going back until we have the plane tickets stating it. Because I fear if we say something, they'll jump the gun and we'll be screwed before we even put our plan into action. And I don't want that.

So here is the plan: 1) despite the cold, find some work. 2) save up for the move back to California, (someone suggested a car, but we could be leaving back as early as April and I don't see a point in purchasing a car if we're going to be leaving that soon, and we can't take the vehicle with us). 3) purchase plane tickets for departure to California. 4) look into one-bedroom apartments in San Diego and get a jump start on job-hunting out there before we arrive. 5) once everything is in order, announce it to Sam and Julie that we're leaving, giving them time to figure things out. 6) Leave back to California.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    There are always two sides to every story but it sounds to me like they had good intentions but the stress got the best of them.

If you do plan on biting the bullet and staying, I would, keep calm always, help out as much as possible - I know you said you tried but maybe ask her what you are doing wrong cleaning wise, try and talk it out in a calm manner, and look for a job despite the weather. My boyfriend and I, who have a daughter together, do not have a car, and it is difficult especially in cold weather (we live in Colorado), but we make it work. My boyfriend has to take the bus for 4 hours total each day in sometimes negative degree weather. It ain't easy, but it's possible.

I also lived with family under very difficult circumstances which lead me to have to stay at an extended stay until I got an apartment, but these extended stays and hotels can be impossible to save money, very expensive so to me it sounds like your best bet would be to move back to Cali for now until you guys are better prepared and have more money saved up and something more reliable to into plan (if you want to go back to NY of course)