Lost 4 inches off my waist so why is the scale not moving?

Options
I'm ok with the scale not moving much as long as the inches keeping melting away. I'm just curious as to why? I know I have built some muscle...but not enough to see almost 0 results on the scale. I've literally lost less than 5 pounds in the past 3 months?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't mean crap.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with the scale not moving much as long as the inches keeping melting away. I'm just curious as to why? I know I have built some muscle...but not enough to see almost 0 results on the scale. I've literally lost less than 5 pounds in the past 3 months?
    It's the muscle.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

This, times infinity. :drinker:
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I've stopped using the scale and just measure!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

This, times infinity. :drinker:

Yep. OP, I fail to see a problem here.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You gained muscle, awesome!
    I have switched to photos and measurements, the scale doesn't tell the whole story.
  • hazstar
    Options
    Normally when I diet the first couple of weeks I loose loads, but that is without exercise. Now I have been doing exercise, especially strength classes I have lost 2 pounds, but I have lost inches off my waist, AND I FEEL FAB. I'm trying to learn to ignore the scales and focus on the measuring tape :)
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Muscle, plus possibly additional water weight due to an increase of exercise. Inches are so much more important.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    muscle is heavier then fat...don't worry about the scale, just look at those inches that are going away...good work
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you are getting smaller, why do you care?

The whole point of losing weight or dieting is for your body to get smaller.

Goal achieved,

Throw out the scale
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    That is great news for you. Your weight will eventually follow. Right now you are becoming more fit and your body is becoming more powerful and useful to you.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have also lost 4 inches but the scale has hit a platau. good to hear im not alone!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is unlikely if you are eating at a deficit. I agree that measuring is a great way to track changes but the scale is useful too.

My stomach shrunk quite fast initially, almost like a balloon deflating but I think that was my change in diet reduced bloating.
  • babyrover
    babyrover Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is a hard adjustment from monitoring weight to monitoring inches..I know I am still struggling with it. Went one month no weighing or measuring...Gym 4 days a week, following a pretty strict diet...no alcohol (UGH!) got on the scale at the end of the month and had lost 5.3 lbs. Quite disappointed until I got out the tape measure....lost 10 inches overall! So I am now a student of the school "the scale does not matter" Keep it up you are doing fantastic!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This is good news! Be happy!! :drinker:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes to what everyone else said, but you posed this as a question that you were curious about not upset about. Or at least that's what it sounded like to me. It is strange that 5lbs=4 inches. Are you losing inches everywhere? Have you done the same program for 3 months or do you keep changing it up?

Are you sure that your scale is correct? Mine will "get stuck" at a certain weight and it's digital. I stand on it with something else to make sure that it goes up, then step back on it to make sure that it goes to the same number for my weight once I've jogged it.

Either way your clothing should be fitting better and you should be feeling better! Cheers and congrats!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm also losing inches (slowly), but the scale has gone up a couple pounds. I am eating reduced calories though, so I highly doubt I'm gaining muscle mass. What gives? It's been 30 days today, so I don't think I'm retaining water. Besides, I have been on this regimen for 8 months (took 1.5mos off in Nov-Dec b/c I got married, honeymoon, etc-- didn't go crazy, but was not consistent in diet and exercise).

Any other theories? I only care about the scale weight because I definitely have around 25ish lbs of fat to lose.
  • MandaPanda0690
    MandaPanda0690 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The scale is not anywhere near as important as your BMI. Inches lost can tell you a lot more than pounds lost. Don't stress about any of it. What matters most is how you feel better, stronger, healthier, etc.:happy: