No weight room but want to bulk...help!!!

Options
Title says it all...I recently lost about 20 lbs, and I'm happy with my weight but...I'm "skinny fat".
I have NO *kitten*, and yet still have some stomach flab. I'm down to about 24% body fat. I really want to bulk up, but I'm scared of gaining all fat instead of muscle if I don't have a weight room at my disposal.
These are my questions:

1) Are body weight exercises sufficient to put on some muscle mass?
2) Also I find it VERY hard to hit my protein macros (I live with a french host family...they eat a lot of bread, not much lean protein.) I'm currently living abroad (it's temporary) so when I go home I will be able to use weight lifting equipment etc....but do I start now, or would it be a waste of money (whey is super expensive in France, and my funds are limited...)

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yes, bodyweight exercises will work fine. That's pretty much all I do and I bulk just fine.

To do so though you want to stick to low reps, the hardest exercises you can do. If you are doing 10+ reps of anything, move on to a harder variation of the exercise.
  • sarahnc_
    sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, bodyweight exercises will work fine. That's pretty much all I do and I bulk just fine.

To do so though you want to stick to low reps, the hardest exercises you can do. If you are doing 10+ reps of anything, move on to a harder variation of the exercise.

Good to hear! Any specific recommendations? I've been doing assisted pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups, dips, inverted rows an bodyweight squats...are those difficult enough? I feel like with some (all but pullups /chin-ups) I can reach 10 rep too easily?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Good to hear! Any specific recommendations? I've been doing assisted pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups, dips, inverted rows an bodyweight squats...are those difficult enough? I feel like with some (all but pullups /chin-ups) I can reach 10 rep too easily?

Convict Conditioning is pretty brutal....You Are Your Own Gym is also a valuable resource.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

So refreshing to hear as seems everyone always says around these parts you gotta lift heavy. :smile:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

So refreshing to hear as seems everyone always says around these parts you gotta lift heavy. :smile:

Bodies are heavy. :D
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

Bodies are heavy. :D

Should have said heavy weights..lol

Good point. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

THIS. Body weight can be leveraged to make just about any exercise more progressively difficult. You might also consider equipment like TRX suspension training (which uses body weight only) too. It takes up little space and can be taken anywhere since it weighs only 2lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can also try things like crunches, sit-ups, lunges, leg lifts, squats etc for toning.
  • waldo56
    Options

What are you doing for pushups? The general pushup progression typically goes: standard pushups (elbows in) -> decline (feet elevated) pushups -> diamond pushups -> uneven pushups (one arm in, one out) -> incline wide leg one arm pushups -> wide leg one arm pushups -> narrow leg one arm pushups

If you are going bench dips, switch to doing parallel dips when they get to easy (using 2 chairs is a common at home apparatus for this).

Wall handstands are good to start doing as well, once you move on from decline pushups. At first work on the amount of time you can hold it. Once they start getting easy, go get a stack of books, put it under your head, and do pushups, progressively removing books until you can go all the way down to the ground (back to the wall is safer for handstand pushups).

Inverted rows can be replaced with the toes to bar or knees to elbow exercises (both are horizontal pulls like a row) when they get too easy, on both those exercises you should strive over time to do them as slowly and momentum free as possible.

In the legs, move to split squats at first, then start working on doing pistol squats. You'll get the most mileage pistol squat wise by using a chair or lower object, then sitting down and standing up using pistol squat form (eventually you'll be able to do them on the floor).

Additionally, you can also use a chair and do step ups (the deeper the step up, the better, try to lock out the back leg and lift your back toes, so the back leg gives little to no assistance). They work the glutes/hams a little better than squats do.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodyrock.. It's free, mostly body weight, and I'm pretty sure you can use things around the house like kitty litter for weights.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm commenting to follow. I don't have easy access to a gym (I live in a very rural area) and I'm trying to get stronger too! Interesting suggestions here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

the reason being that regardless, progressive overload is required...if you're just doing the same sets of the same push-ups for example, over time, you're not going to have a training response because you're not progressively overloading your body and challenging yourself. You have to make them harder and harder and harder to do (you really don't want to be doing tons or reps) so this can be problematic for some, especially those that are unfamiliar with using different techniques for the same exercise to make it more difficult. Conversely, with weights...you just throw on another plate every training cycle to efficiently overload your body's capabilities. Weight training is a very efficient way of progressively overloading your entire body. You have to have more knowledge and more imagination to do so with body weight.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness has some pretty good bodyweight write ups to get you started:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-*kitten*/

You didn't ask, but keep in mind you also need to eat enough if you really want to bulk. If your using MFP, be sure to have it set so you gain weight, not lose.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

You should check out video's on youtube from " Athlean-X " the guy has some really good bodyweight or weighted exercises including plank variations that just kill the core.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Well... my problem is that when I do body weight exercises, I *am* lifting heavy... /sigh.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks, no gym membership money here, so am working on this at home and have no weights. Going to try these
  • rocketfish74
    Options
    What waldo up top said. Although I don't feel you need that many different types of push ups to get results. Here are the variations I rotate around every week. I'll only list a few that you can actually google. Some exercises I learned in jiu-jitsu that use their own terminology.

Pushups: standard, claps, medicine ball, hindu (aka divebomber) --> when you get good try one arm or weighted (stuff backpack with water bottles)

Core: superman (back exercise), staight leg lifts, abdominal twist (with or without weight), jack knife

Legs: everything waldo said - pistol squats are great. You'll get to the point you won't need a chair support and just do single leg squats. Deep lunges are terrific and harder than regular body squats, jump squats are awesome too.

Cardio and full body: burpees burpees burpees!! You can incorporate any of the push up variations and leg variations into your burpee routine. When you go down, do a push variation. When you jump up, do a leg variation. Try 10x10 to start.

To make any exercise harder, do slow motion. slow down each movement to a 5 second count instead of doing them at regular speed. You'll up the intensity and see good results.

Also always always maintain proper form with full range of motion. All the up, all the way down. You're wasting time and cheating yourself by not following through on the movements. Not to mention increasing risk of injury.

edit: btw u look great in your photo
  • waldo56
    Options
    What waldo up top said. Although I don't feel you need that many different types of push ups to get results.

What I outlined was a progression; you'd only work one at a time, moving on when you can. There is no need to do a lot of different exercises each workout, if anything that is couterproductive.

What I wrote out is still all pretty basic stuff, the rabbit hole goes very, very deep. Intros to most of the high load upper body pathways can be found in one of the links posted above:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

In the lower body, when everything else gets too easy you can add weight to pistol squats and step ups (don't need a lot), and start doing shrimp squats and natural hamstring curls.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    listen to waldo- he is the body weight king.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nedfitness.com - good site - I use their progression, but add a lot of other exercise - especially for core, and pushups - diamond pushups, shuffle pushups, etc., to add length and variety to the routine.

Here is a good infograph on some exercises - you can youtube the individual ones to get good form examples:

http://www.strengthstack52.com/periodic-table-of-bodyweight-exercises/

and if you want to be either motivated or intimidated - check out this video: (or search you tube "44 best bodyweight exercises" ) this guy is unreal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw