URGEN HELP NEEDED

Options
I'm back after several attempts of using this forum and a Fitness Pal program . I just can not stay focused as there is always a family function or the holidays where there is food that is so tempting . I'm at 460 pounds and I know that I'm killing myself . It even hurts to walk and I know that I need even more exercise than just walking . Joining a gym is no option as there aren't any within 30 miles .

I used to hike , canoe , bicycle and other outdoor activities plus ,,,, was in the shape of my life . I'm not sure why I stopped but that's when I ballooned. So , here I am in dire straits wanting to change but sabotaged at every bend of the road .

I need a healthy diet . Are there any nutritionists here with a diet plan ?

I also need some exercise that works . I'll push thru the pain if I have the fitness plan .

I appreciate any help I get .

Thx ,
Gonzo

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start by logging your food everyday and following your calorie goal. You don't have to cut anything out, just cut down. You can eat whatever you want, just make sure you hit your calorie goal. Have patience and do your best. For exercise, start small by walking. Walk up and down your block and slowly increase your distance as you lose weight/gain endurance.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi Gonzo,

I don't have money for a gym membership, so I use FitnessBlender.com. It's a free service that has a bunch of workout videos. If you don't like those, I've heard there's a ton of workout videos for all levels on YouTube.

I'm sure others will give you ideas on eating. Me, personally, I try to eat as much home-cooked stuff as possible, and I try to keep my sodium in check, since I've got heart problems in my family. Oh, and PLENTY of water.

Anyway, one thing that's helped me stay on track is making friends on here. I find that it helps me feel accountable. I'll send you a friend request.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi Gonzo,

When I went to see my doctor about losing weight, they sent me to a nutirionist and it was covered by insurance (if this is an option for you.) I highly recommend that. It was all about not cutting anything out entirely, just making smarter decisions with what I was eating. Also, balance. If for example I have a piece of fruit, I have to have a couple cubes of cheese with it. Choosing whole grain bread, not white bread. Read the labels and log as consistently as possible.

You can do this! Start out with small walks. I sit at a desk all day and I keep a resistence band in my desk to work my arms. On my 15 minute breaks, I try to walk around the office as we are pretty well snowed in here and I hate the cold. There are walking videos you can do as well if going outside is too cold.

The phone app also has a feature now where you can set a reminder to log each meal. I have mine set for breakfast and dinner. That way i start the day off right and end it right so I know how many calories I have had.

Good luck and I'll send you a friend request.
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Log everything you eat and start with small changes. My doctor sent me to a class run by a nutrionist last year as my cholesterol was a little high. It was focused on cholesterol but the nutritionist really talked a lot about healthy eating in general, making better choices, etc. It cost $40 for 6 hours of classes and I think it was well worth it. Maybe you could find something similar near you?

Also the fitnessblender rec is a good one. Start with the walking and slowly increase the distance. Maybe buy a resistance band set or a few dumbbells if you want to start with weights.

Also sending you a friend request.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Just start by setting a calorie goal and staying in it.

Yeah, nutrition is important, but the #1 most important thing that someone at your weight can do is to lose it. Plan your day in advance -- enter what you're going to eat, and make sure that you don't have other convenient and yummy food around to sidetrack you. For example, I don't keep cookies, crackers, and popcorn around because I CANNOT control my intake. Once you get in the habit of controlling your intake calorie-wise, then start looking at nutrition.

Don't start thinking that your diet has to be perfect or else it's no good. It's very easy that way to get into a trap of "Oh, I had that cookie that's not on my diet plan. Since I have already ****ed up today, I will NOM NOM NOM THE WHOLE PACKAGE and start again tomorrow."
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've only been 50 lbs. overweight, BUT if I had to offer some suggestions, I'd say that you should definitely NOT cut your calories drastically to start. You should cut back slowly, making sustainable changes that you can continue and keep as you go along. Second, while exercise is wonderful and you probably need it for your cardiovascular system, you should know that cardio exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. You should, however, attempt to do something to get your heart rate up a few times/week, at minimum. Is swimming an option? Makeshift battle ropes? Ball slams? Basketball, volleyball, tennis/badminton? Google about that one.

This time that I lost weight (I started 2 years ago), I ONLY changed my eating habits. I started by evaluating what I normally ate, then deciding what things that I could be ok eating less of. For me, it was cutting out bread if I was having pasta, already. Or eating open-faced hamburgers, or eating half sandwiches with a whole meat portion. If I went out to eat, I would deliberately leave 1/4 of the meal on my plate. Then, when that was easy, I would split it in half and box the other half for a later meal. And, I kept tapering back from there. I chose to not drink my calories and only drank water and unsweetened tea (still do). I made sure I had protein at every meal. I added in green veggies. I ate fewer packaged foods, like chips, cakes, and candy, and started enjoying more fresh fruit. I made sure that I paid attention to the food that I ate, why I was eating it (emotional or actual hunger), I stopped BEFORE I got full. I started drinking a full glass of water with each meal. Making these changes helped me to lose 20 lbs. in 3-4 months. I wasn't hungry or unhappy, because I had integrated full fat foods into my meals, where previously I had been eating low fat, packaged "diet foods." (Stay away from those! They will not satiate you!)

I've never read the book, but many people say that what I did was close to the concepts discussed in a book called, "Mindful Eating." I actually learned what I learned from "French Women Don't Get Fat." haha!

Anyway, again, I wouldn't go cold turkey over night. Make subtle changes each week that you can live with and watch the scale tick down consistently. Slow and steady wins the race, in this one! Good luck to you!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Can you walk for 10 minutes? Start with that. Just try to move your body every day.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have to note that while I only changed my diet habits to lose weight, I was already an avid walker, so movement is definitely still important!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set your MFP to lose 2 pounds per week. Eat that amount of calories. What you eat doesn't matter as much, except to say that you can eat a lot more volume of real food than you can of high calorie junk food.

Start walking, however much you can do. Start at 5 minutes a day if that is all you can do, or more if you can. Add more time every week. If you can't walk outside because of weather or other circumstances, look on Youtube for Leslie Sansone.
  • gonegonzo
    gonegonzo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support . I'm grasping all of your advice as I HAVE to make this thing work .

Gonzo
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    May I suggest your first step is to see a doctor? You are talking about a significant weight management here. I would be a bit worried for you to just work out and cut your calories without professional guidance.

Forget about gyms. You do NOT need one to exercise. I have far better results now with a variety of tools at home - and it is not just about $$, as you can go crazy over home equipments and DVDs too, but efficiency and effectiveness.

Talk to your doctor, come back here for support and chats!

Good luck
  • gonegonzo
    gonegonzo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OK , so here I am again . 1 week and no change in life . The doctor said to exercise and my body would tell me when it was too much . Good news I hope , but sounds like a standard answer . I don't trust doctors sincerity .

Any way , Im here today miserable and having anxiety over personal family issues and MY CONDITION . I need to escape this obesity . I know there is NO MAGIC BULLET . I know that I'm the only one that can do this . I do feel however that I need a neutrisionist but haven't the insurance or money for one . Is there an online meal planner for losing weight ? It seems that all of the fitness geeks have free advice and planning all sewed up . I KNOW , this looks like a bad attitude . OR , maybe I'm having a pity party here .

I feel so lethargic , low power and I know it's the extra 200 pounds that I'm carrying around .

SO PLEASE , if you think of a plan or have advice to get me started , HELP ME NOW .

Thank you for your support .
    Gonzo
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Gonzo - Have you started logging your food on MFP? If not that is the first step. Weigh and measure everything you eat. A nutritionist is not necessary. MFP will set a calorie goal for you. Start logging and learn to eat within that goal. Starting out you don't need to worry too much about macros like protein and carbs, but you will find you get a lot more food for your calories if you eat fewer foods that are high in sugar and starches.

The simplest exercise is walking. No equipment or gym membership needed. If you can't walk outside find a Lesli Sansone video on youtube. Her walks are low impact and will get your heart pumping. I'm an uncoordinated klutz and can do them.

This is a long journey and changes won't happen overnight. Just commit to eating within your calorie goal an a certain amount of exercise per day. If it is only 5 minutes per day right now, that is fine. Start at 5 minutes per day and slowly work your way up to 30 minutes per day.
  • jbwent
    jbwent Posts: 27
    Options
    Portion control, denying yourself only leads to binge eating. A little of something is better than nothing. I really don't worry about what I eat until dinner time. I get home and log in what I had for breakfast and lunch then I know if I can eat a whole meal or just part of it. Dinner time is more about replenishing what you burned more than fueling up for more activity. You definitely need to log everything and just stay within your goal.
  • hkunigelis
    hkunigelis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hmm,
    You sound a lot like the way I felt before losing weight. I obviously dont know you, but I know in my journey, losing weight was never about the weight itself, and obesity was always, for me, a symptom of unhappiness. I found that when i dealt with my other issues, weight would come off easily. And by easily, i still mean with a lot of work. Perhaps there are items here that you need to address?
    I got to a point where exercise was so physically painful, that the only thing i enjoyed to do, and felt like i could do, was eat. And being asked to give up one the one thing that makes you happy (for now) is exchange for a future is very hard, but its worth doing! Know that there is another side to it.
    Find what you love, and try to tie that in, to exercise. If you like what you're doing, then it'll be a lot easier to stick with it. Walking doesn't have to be walking around a track, it can be going to a garden to take pictures. Or something as simple as lifting your arms as far and as high as you can when ever someone says a specific word in a movie. Another thing that worked well for me was "shifting tastes", When i first started, i would cover vegetables in cheese and butter, and reduced it by 1/2 ounce a day until i eventually got used to eating plain vegetables.
  • jaclynrae78
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is a great start. I also use a fitbit at fitbit.com which syncs with myfitnesspal app. I have lost a lot of weight. Try to find a local place that has positive people that will help you receive your goals. I would start with your doctor. I did when I first started am down 80 pounds as of today and have been down 80 pounds for over 2 years now. You may need a new doctor he sounds like no help. I went to 2 and found one I liked a lot. Also our local YMCA has been a help too with many supportive people. :) Log in calories everyday on MFP, start with a small goal master it first. It took me 4 months to lose my first pound. My first goal was to master the love of working out. Then food. Food is 80 percent of weight loss. Checkout my blog melossingweight.com for inspiration. All the best your on the right path your here don't hang your head low.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Start logging everything you eat. That will tell you a lot. It'll tell you if you're having enough protein, or too much carbs, whatever. Then you can start looking at it as a tool - if you don't have any protein at breakfast, figure out a way to incorporate it in. If you're having too many carbs at lunch and not enough protein, then make some adjustments there.

Take it a step at a time. For the rest of February, you could work on getting enough water in, and getting enough protein at breakfast. For March, focus on getting enough protein at lunch.

I had a hard time getting fiber in. I now have chocolite protein bars to help with that - they have about 10g protein, 10g fiber, about 100 calories, and are sugar free/gluten free. My favs are the triple chocolate fudge and cookies and cream. Hubby likes the cashew caramel and peanut butter.

When I was at my highest at 376, one of my doctors said to worry about the nutrition first and try to get some of the weight off before really worrying about exercising. Nutrition is by far the more important aspect of the journey at this point.