I really HATE exercising

Options
I've been told that one you get into a routine with exercise, your body begins to crave it, but I've never found that to be true. I've done 28 day boot camp DVDs, Jillian Michaels workouts, and more, but I still dread it every single time. I also have a membership at Planet Fitness.

I do somewhat enjoy very long distance walking (more than 5 miles- I've walked up to 8 miles at once- for fun), but I don't particularly care for shorter distance walks, and the weather is making outdoor walking next to impossible. I can also tolerate Leslie Sansone DVDs, but I have to force myself to do them, and I still dread every moment.

I like the feeling of feeling sore after a workout, and I don't feel like I worked out "enough" if I don't feel it the next day. I just can't stand the actual workout, and I'm having a really hard time forcing myself to exercise.

If I could try different activities like bowling, hiking, ice/roller skating, swimming, etc on a regular basis, I'd be better off, but it isn't an option. My gym doesn't offer classes, and there's no pool. Best I can do as far as classes are concerned is taking Zumba at the grocery store on Saturdays (they have a fitness center there with free classes, but class slots are limited) is my only option.

And I'm not even sure if I'd like Zumba. I'm not very coordinated, and the idea of going to a fitness class scares me, so if that's not for me, then I'm out of ideas.

Any advice?

Replies

• eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I really dislike DVDs and haven't found anything that gets me going. I really enjoy biking and hiking so I HAD to find something to do over the winter to keep me in shape for those things. I have a stationary bike and a whole mess of Heart-Rate based routines to do. I also do the 7 minute Work Out as well as a dumb bell routine. I am not having a 'great' time doing the latter two BUT they are keeping me in shape for what I like to do.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried jamming out to your favorite tunes?
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    I totally disliked exercising, until I went to my first Boxing class! It has EVERYTHING and each class is totally different! Look for a Title Boxing Club in your area...I hate to say it, but it really is a lot of fun and in an hour (just starting out) I can burn over 600 calories (per HRM)

Just a suggestion!! Good Luck!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    One of my friends was a lot like you. Then I started doing C25K with her. I was already a runner and could easily do more than a 5k before we began, but she couldn't really run at all. She would meet me after my run a few times a week and a e would do the program together. For her, having a goal to work towards (a 5K race) and having someone to do it with is what she needed. She still doesn't enjoy exercising for the sake of exercise. But she gets exercise as she trains for a race.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. But you do if you want to improve your fitness, health and overall shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    there's lots of exercises that don't involve sticking a DVD into a player and jumping around your living room...I'd hate that **** too. Myself...I like getting out on my bike 3-4 times per week and just going for a nice ride for 45-60 minutes. I also like going for walks and I enjoy getting out and hiking in the local mountains here a couple times per month. Friday is my rest day but I usually go play a quick lunch game of pick up basketball with some guys at work. In the summer I like getting in a few laps at the pool from time to time and hitting the golf course a few times per month. I also enjoy weight training and when I don't have access, I enjoy body weight strength exercises.

I have never in my life exercised to a DVD and I loathe gym cardio machines...they aren't necessary for exercise...but it seems like people are tethered to these things for some reason.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Do you like music? Most of my cardio is simply walking while listening to my favorite music. It's my "me time."
  • 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I recommend finding a running group through a shoe store and find others at your level. There is great motivation in numbers. And like another suggestion, set a goal race with friends to work towards. Exercising by yourself, just for the sake of doing it usually leads to burnout.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say i look forward to it, but once i'm doing it and after i've finished i'm glad i did it. My health has improved so much because of it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I really like DVDs...........however, I found that I hate Jillian Michaels, I have 2 left feet, I can't do high impact......in other words DVDs that many other people enjoy......I dislike.

Keep trying different workouts, DVDs, classes, YouTube, whatever. I used to have a Netflix subscription (by mail).....I would get a new workout DVD every week. Try the library.

You "tollerate" Leslie Sansone...........have you tried Jessica Smith walking workouts......would a music only Leslie Sansone DVD be any better (there are several)?

I can load up an MP3 player with fast songs (140+ beats per minute) .....and use my own music to a walking video. Lately I've been using a mini trampoline to "bump up" Leslie workouts.

Jessica Smith TV
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking+workouts&sm=1
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've been told that one you get into a routine with exercise, your body begins to crave it, but I've never found that to be true. I've done 28 day boot camp DVDs, Jillian Michaels workouts, and more, but I still dread it every single time. I also have a membership at Planet Fitness.

I do somewhat enjoy very long distance walking (more than 5 miles- I've walked up to 8 miles at once- for fun), but I don't particularly care for shorter distance walks, and the weather is making outdoor walking next to impossible. I can also tolerate Leslie Sansone DVDs, but I have to force myself to do them, and I still dread every moment.

I like the feeling of feeling sore after a workout, and I don't feel like I worked out "enough" if I don't feel it the next day. I just can't stand the actual workout, and I'm having a really hard time forcing myself to exercise.

If I could try different activities like bowling, hiking, ice/roller skating, swimming, etc on a regular basis, I'd be better off, but it isn't an option. My gym doesn't offer classes, and there's no pool. Best I can do as far as classes are concerned is taking Zumba at the grocery store on Saturdays (they have a fitness center there with free classes, but class slots are limited) is my only option.

And I'm not even sure if I'd like Zumba. I'm not very coordinated, and the idea of going to a fitness class scares me, so if that's not for me, then I'm out of ideas.

Any advice?

Sounds exactly like me, until I started weight lifting. I really love it! Just because you don't like cardio (all that you mentioned above would be considered cardio), it doesn't mean you hate all exercise. You might like weight training. :wink:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah...and you'll feel sore after each work-out, so it feels like you've actually done something productive each time you go! I love that feeling!
  • LeighTaylor97
    LeighTaylor97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also hate exercising. I get really bored. I can't stand more than 10-20 minutes on one cardio machine, get bored with running or walking outside. My brain is just way too active. I also like the feeling sore part, but have a hard time getting myself to do the workouts. So I decided to pick up an sport I used to play years ago, squash. It's challenging and something I can practice alone or play with other people. It is high intensity and keeps my brain engaged. Because I want to improve my skill I stay and play much longer than I would doing other exercises, thereby getting more exercise.

So my advise if you don't like to exercise, find something that doesn't feel as much like it, like a sport.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Leslie's voice doesn't bother me. I do enjoy her newer workouts (the Just Walk series)...just not enough to actually WANT to do them.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    LeighTaylor if I can find a sport I like, it will be a miracle. I never did sports growing up, and I hated gym class.