Meal Planning for Multiple Nutritional Limits is So Hard

Options
Any ideas on how I can eat a diverse diet while increasing fiber, and decreasing sugar and sodium, and stick to a low calorie restriction?

I tend to do well when I am only concerned about staying below my calorie goal, but recently my doctor suggested that I consider other variables in my diet, such as increasing my fiber intake to 30g a day, reducing my sodium to 1500mg a day, and limiting sugars to less than 25mg.

I just can't seem to do it! I added and raisin bran cereal to increase fiber and it puts me over my limit on sugar. It's the same with prunes. I take Metamucil and eat salads, but it still doesn't get me to 30g. I need something else that doesn't have sugar in it.

And everything seem to have too much sodium in it. I thought my standard store of frozen vegetables and garden patties would be fine, but that usually leads to going over my sodium limit by more than 1000mg. So far the only thing I can think to eat that is low in sodium is salads, and I am getting really tired of salads.

Replies

• Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Vegetables!!!

Also, the limits people recommend for sugar usually only refer to added-in sugar, so natural sugar from fruit wouldn't count. You can clarify with with your doctor, but I'm pretty sure he/she meant added sugar. The AHA has the same recommended limit.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Did he give you a medical reason for doing reducing sugar and sodium?
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax seed...
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Fiber: legumes of all types, grains (like barley, farro, oats, quinoa), veggies, fruits (because as a previous poster pointed out - the sugar limit the doc suggested is probably added sugar, not fruit/veggies/starch).

I wish I could help more with meal planning, but I don't track sodium or sugar and have lost 50 lbs. Diary is open so feel free to look. You'll see many home-cooked meals (I build the recipes in my system) and a good spattering of eating at restaurants, so a nice variety. I'm guessing sodium is much lower on the home-cooked meal days!
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I tend to do well when I am only concerned about staying below my calorie goal, but recently my doctor suggested that I consider other variables in my diet, such as increasing my fiber intake to 30g a day, reducing my sodium to 1500mg a day, and limiting sugars to less than 25mg.

You're already doing well when you are only concerned about staying below your calorie goal.
    DO THIS.

yes, you doctor suggested you consider other variables, but don't get too hung up on them. Remember things that are natural are going to align closer with your goals. Vegetables was a GREAT answer. Consider making your own veggie burgers, I agree the store bought ones are loaded with sodium AND expensive. Try the fresh vegetable section instead of frozen. It's tasty!

It's okay to be conscious of those things, but most importantly - do what is working and don't stress to much about it.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Why not get a bran cereal (or other type) w/o fruit in it (you could add your own banana if you don't want to eat it plain.?

If you just want more fiber, you could eat oatmeal (add chia seeds or flax for extra fiber), beans/legumes, veggies (broccoli, brussels sprouts, artichokes are great sources of fiber), raspberries, blackberries, avocado.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options

You're already doing well when you are only concerned about staying below your calorie goal.
    DO THIS.

yes, you doctor suggested you consider other variables, but don't get too hung up on them. Remember things that are natural are going to align closer with your goals. Vegetables was a GREAT answer. Consider making your own veggie burgers, I agree the store bought ones are loaded with sodium AND expensive. Try the fresh vegetable section instead of frozen. It's tasty!

It's okay to be conscious of those things, but most importantly - do what is working and don't stress to much about it.
  • Culrflur
    Options
    Try baking low carb muffins or bread using flax meal to have for breakfast or a snack instead of the cereal. Or, if you want to skip the sald and go for pizza, you can try a flax-based low carb pizza dough recipe (http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/zero-carb-flax-meal-pizza-crust.html). Low carb will have little to no sugar and the flax is basically all fiber!

I have trouble getting enough fiber as well, so sometimes I use fiber drink mixes from like CVS or Walgreens. It tastes like crystal light but it contains a small boost of fiber.

The best thing about fiber is that it helps fills you up, so you might find that it will help with your calorie restriction!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I get upwards of 35-40 grams of fiber per day...also, why only 25 grams of sugar? One piece of fruit is going to send you flying over that number? Is there a medical condition here that we're talking about?

- Beans/legumes...I make a big batch of my world famous (ok maybe not world famous) pinto beans or black beans every Sunday night in the crock pot while we're sleeping...wake up Monday morning and we have beans for the week.

- Whole grains

- Brown rice

- popcorn

- nuts

- skin on potatoes

- fruits and berries...berries will be lower in sugar than say, an apple...but an apple is a tremendous source of pectin, a soluble fiber. also, avocado is a fruit and a good source of fiber and heart healthy fats among other awesome nutrition

- Oats...not the instant stuff with added flavorings and what not...get real oats.

- vegetables, vegetables, vegetables...crunchier the better.
  • FaunalFantasy
    FaunalFantasy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Vegetables!!!

Also, the limits people recommend for sugar usually only refer to added-in sugar, so natural sugar from fruit wouldn't count. You can clarify with with your doctor, but I'm pretty sure he/she meant added sugar. The AHA has the same recommended limit.

Yes, you are correct. I reread the paper I got when I left the office and it specifically said added sugar. That actually helps a lot! There is no way to really keep track of added sugar in MFP, but at least I can be more aware of it when I purchase groceries.
  • FaunalFantasy
    FaunalFantasy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their responses. Understanding that the sugar limits are for added sugar is a real help, and once I get through my stash of frozen vegetables I think I am going to buy a steaming tray and cook more fresh veg. My problem now is the sodium. It really is in everything!