daniel diet

Options
anyone had results with the Daniel plan? Our church is doing this. But I really enjoy a little junk food and what I like about MFP is you can eat what you want, just watch the calories.

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    just do the brenn lifestyle change diet. thats what will work best for you.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the Daniel diet. But unless it is something you are going to do the rest of your life, its probably a waste of time. If you want to lose weight just create a calorie deficit. Learning moderation is something you can do forever, diets usually are temporary.
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is your church doing this as a diet? Usually it is called the Daniel Fast and is done for spiritual reasons. If you are doing it for spiritual reasons, than it has nothing to do with dieting. I have done it for both reasons. As for dieting,it is a good thing for a cleanse becuase your body rids itself of a lot of toxins if you are following it strictly. But then you have to have a plan to eat healthy afterwards or you will just gain everything you lost during it.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My church is also doing the Daniel Plan right now and it is a whole lifestyle plan, not necessarily just a diet. With a focus on Faith, Food, Fitness, Focus and Friends. I'm loving it!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This is a temporary approach that will not lead to long-term changes. The body does a great job of cleansing itself, which is why we poop and pee. Any weight loss changes you see, will turn into weight gain once you return to your regular eating plan.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My Grandparents are doing this too because their church is doing it ~ It's the Daniel Fast. Which isn't really a fast ~ it's a plant-based eating plan with the only beverage being water. Veggies, fruits, drinking ONLY water, whole grains, no meat, no soda, no milk/cheese. Basically a vegan-esque diet plan.. Ish. I guess. It's supposed to be a spiritual, bonding-with-God type of 'fast'.

My Grandparents are doing this because of their church doing this & for the spiritual experience, weight loss only being a potential benefit. If you're going to do it for the spiritual aspect, then I'd say go for it. If you're only doing it because of weight loss, the meaning is being lost behind it & it will probably be a waste of time. You'll go back to the same routine as soon as your fast is over.
  • bowlinsgr
    Options
    Several people from my church did the Daniel Diet during Lent a few years ago. It was more of a cleansing and prayerful experience than an actual diet. I agree with one of the other comments about making our diets a life style change. However, if you did the Daniel Diet as a cleansing - spirtual and/or physical that may help kick start whatever plan you try - then go for it!! I have made a few of the recipes and they are very good. I just love my dairy!!! Couldn't do the whole thing. Best of luck on whatever plan you choose.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My Grandparents are doing this too because their church is doing it ~ It's the Daniel Fast. Which isn't really a fast ~ it's a plant-based eating plan with the only beverage being water. Veggies, fruits, drinking ONLY water, whole grains, no meat, no soda, no milk/cheese. Basically a vegan-esque diet plan.. Ish. I guess. It's supposed to be a spiritual, bonding-with-God type of 'fast'.

My Grandparents are doing this because of their church doing this & for the spiritual experience, weight loss only being a potential benefit. If you're going to do it for the spiritual aspect, then I'd say go for it. If you're only doing it because of weight loss, the meaning is being lost behind it & it will probably be a waste of time. You'll go back to the same routine as soon as your fast is over.

THIS.
  • detectiveme
    Options
    Ive heard of tht as well! It is very practical and it makes sense. God gives us practical commands :)
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is referring to the book, The Daniel Plan, which is not a fast.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Daniel-Plan-Days-Healthier-ebook/dp/B00DL10IM0

IMHO, do the book study with your church to learn what it is trying to teach you and to fellowship with other members of your church. If you want to use MFP to track the food to eat, feel free - the aren't mutually exclusive.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Ive heard of tht as well! It is very practical and it makes sense. God gives us practical commands :)

God also said to cannibalize His son. Take that as you will.

A friend of mine is doing it as a detox. He's gonna go paleo when it's over.

My take on it is right in line with others in this thread - it's only three weeks. You can do anything for three weeks, but it doesn't make a lifetime habit. Check your intentions and goals and evaluate from that stance.
  • Jengoingdown
    Jengoingdown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Brenn i was wondering if you went with the daniel plan. Reading all the replies seem to suggest the Daniel plan and Daniel Fast are the same, but I thought they were two completely different things. Which one were you going to try?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I decided not to do the Daniel plan. I have done well with MFP so I will keep logging and I like the idea I can have what I want and do the math thing, just take in so many calories or if I overeat go to the gym.